VOGONS

First post, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While messing around with an S3 Virge DX and torturing it with various old 3D games, I found a way to make it display world textures that are typically missing on the Virge decelerator.

Launch the game with the developer console enabled. By default the Virge will only show lightmaps instead of the world textures.

virge 1 default.png
Filename
virge 1 default.png
File size
94.04 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Now open the console and type:
gl_monolights 1
- then reload the save game. This will enable the Virge to display world textures.

virge 2 monolights.png
Filename
virge 2 monolights.png
File size
283.27 KiB
Views
File license

While the textures are showing, the side effect of this tweak is that the lightmaps are now completely black, creating harsh shadows. To fix the shadows, simply remove them completely 🤣 Open the console again, and type:
r_fullbright 1
- this forces all textures to be rendered at full brightness, and as a bonus, the Virge gets about 100% improved performance from not having to do multi texturing.

virge 3 fullbright.png
Filename
virge 3 fullbright.png
File size
271.87 KiB
Views
File license

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 1 of 4, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I kind of like the no-texture version. Is there a way to enable that on more competent GPUs?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Typically that's a cheat/developer cvar in standard id tech 2/3 (r_lightmap 1)

Also these virge screens appear to come from the D3D backend. The Techland S3 MiniGL found in Crime Cities seems to do a better job (PCem shot follows)

tcs3d.png
Filename
tcs3d.png
File size
221.77 KiB
Views
File license

Other useful cvars:

gl_round_down 1
gl_lightholes 0
gl_spriteblend 0

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 4, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wish I knew this when I had the Trio3D AGP with the K6-2 350 to not buy the Voodoo3 2000 I didn't really need considering everything would have still run ok with every accelerators since the Voodoo1 back then. Back in those times I could have played games even at few fps considering the previous config I had was the 386SX-20. 😁