VOGONS

First post, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I recently came across this port of Quake and really enjoy it. I have the latest version with my installation of Quake 1.08 on my DOS rig. The software rendered game works great including ogg music. I have a couple of issues with the 3Dfx though. 1) I can't seem to control music volume from within the game, and 2) I can't change the resolution from 640x480x16.
I'm Using the Sage driver and trying to get 320x200. When I go to Video options it just has a message that video modes must be set with -width and -bpp. When I try -width 320 I get a 320x480 screen on the left half of my monitor. -height is not recognized. +set gl_mode works with software rendered game but not the 3Dfx. Same result with the -safevga option mentioned in the readme. I also tried the Mess driver and tried with a clean install of Quake 1.06.
I am also using Q2DOS for Quake2 and Hammer of Thyrion for Hexen2 and both of these can change resolutions and control ogg music volume.
The computer is a K6/233 with 128 MB ram, Millennium II 8MB, Maxi Gamer 3D Voodoo1, AWE64 running MS-DOS 7.1 CDU.

Reply 2 of 15, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply. glquake is for Win95 and higher. This pc is running MS-DOS + WfW 3.11 so I am using the QDOS port to play with 3Dfx and ogg music. I did find that 640x480 is much faster when booting with JEMMEX instead of HIMEMX+EMM386. Now I don't need to drop to 320, but it still doesn't answer the question why 3Dfx mode is stuck at 640x480 (or at least 480 height). And music volume can still only be controlled with the speaker knobs.

Reply 3 of 15, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't get 320x200 to work either. Does the Voodoo even support that resolution?

If you want a bit more speed you can use -width 512 -height 384

The CD music volume option is for actual CDs I guess. Use the s_musicvolume command in the console to change the digital music volume.

Reply 5 of 15, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, guys, for the replies. I'll try the s_musicvolume this evening. I enjoy Quake's music and being able to use it without the CD, but it is full-blast. Lol That's interesting about the resolutions. I thought 320x200 might be doable because it does work in the Quake2 DOS port...although it looks like crap. Lol

Reply 7 of 15, by nali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does it run well on your computer ?
I tried it on a Pentium 2 333MHz, 3DFX and FreeDOS. The game itself runs well, but each time it needs to load a texture the access to the hard disk is so slow it's unusable.
BTW I didn't manage to get any udma driver work.

Reply 8 of 15, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dracolich wrote on 2019-12-07, 21:30:

Now I don't need to drop to 320, but it still doesn't answer the question why 3Dfx mode is stuck at 640x480 (or at least 480 height).

You mentioned you have a Maxi Gamer Voodoo1, 640x480 is the max resolution for Voodoo1. 800x600 can only be achievable if the game does not use z-buffer, but QDOS 3Dfx does. Unlike GLQuake, if you need to lower the resolution on QDOS, then you need both the "-width" and "-height" arguments. Otherwise, "-height" seems to be default at 480.

Reply 9 of 15, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@kjliew, I understand 640x480 is the max on my Voodoo1. I was not trying to increase to 800x600, I was trying to lower it to 320x200. Any time I set -width 320 my game screen was 320x480; and if I set -height 200 it seemed to be ignored.

@nali, when using HIMEM or HIMEMX and EMM386 I experience the same lagging. The first time I ran it with FreeDOS 1.2, FD booted with JEMMEX and to my surprise QDOS and Q2DOS ran very well with fps averaging around 20. After that I examined FDCONFIG.SYS and made note of the JEMM settings. Back in my main DOS 7.1 I already had the JEMM files so I added a menu option to CONFIG.SYS with the necessary lines to load JEMMEX (not JEMM386) and it works great, ~20fps. I only boot that when playing 3Dfx games because WfW won't work with JEMM. If you'd like to see my CONFIG.SYS I can post it.
Edit: I'm not using any extra DMA drivers; but if your HDD is capable of UATA/UDMA make sure it is connected with an 80-wire cable to get the higher speed.

Last edited by Dracolich on 2020-01-10, 13:17. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 10 of 15, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dracolich wrote on 2020-01-10, 01:31:

@kjliew, I understand 640x480 is the max on my Voodoo1. I was not trying to increase to 800x600, I was trying to lower it to 320x200. Any time I set -width 320 my game screen was 320x480; and if I set -height 200 it seemed to be ignored.

I was able to run QDOS 3Dfx at 320x200 in QEMU. It is using MESA-5.0.2 with Glide2x DXE guest wrapper. I think it could be issue with the MESA 3Dfx GL driver. I probably fixed it in the past but could not remember the details top of my head.

Reply 11 of 15, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, kjiliew, that's interesting. I thought I'd tried the Mesa driver included with the latest QDOS, but I might try again after reading your post. What video card did you emulate with QEMU? My 2D card is a 8MB Matrox Millennium II.

Reply 12 of 15, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nali wrote on 2020-01-09, 02:02:

Does it run well on your computer ?
I tried it on a Pentium 2 333MHz, 3DFX and FreeDOS. The game itself runs well, but each time it needs to load a texture the access to the hard disk is so slow it's unusable.
BTW I didn't manage to get any udma driver work.

Load Smartdrv or lbacache or some other Diskcaching Software and set at least 512Kb Buffersize, better 2Mb.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 15 of 15, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lost77 wrote on 2020-01-11, 22:32:

As stated above the Voodoo 1 does not support resolutions lower that 512x384.

kjliew is running an emulator with a wrapper, not running true hardware like you are doing.

Yep, that's what happened. I had some doubt because he was using QEMU, but didn't hurt to try. 🤣