VOGONS

First post, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, I happened to run upon this file called "UMBPCI.sys."

I was looking up useful utilities for my DOS/Windows 3.1 PC and I found this UMBPCI.sys file. And it says it can enable the upper memory by not switching the CPU to virtual 8086 mode. By using this .sys file it can leave the the CPU in real mode for better compatilibility and faster performance on any 386 or pentium or above cpu computers. But can it make DOS programs when accessing it outside of real mode to work better with this file?

And here is another thing I thought about now this file, how would this effect Windows 3.1?

What I know about is when Windows 3.1 was first released Microsoft removed the real mode option, and gave us 386 enhanced mode. And remember when you have to turn off Windows 3.1 to use your DOS applications to work properly? Because of that some protected mode DOS applications use an older extented memory interface called the "Vritual program control interface" for short VPCI. And it is incompatible with Windows 3.1 DOS protection mode interface for short DPMI. VCPI was not chosen to work with Windows 3.1 if you access any older DOS programs from Windows 3.1 that uses a VCPI, it would either hang, freeze your computer, or program, give you errors and causes the DOS software you are using from Windows 3.1 or in protected mode to malfunction and get's stopped by the CPU's security system for violating system integrity. But using UMBPCI.sys can override that. I don't know that's just me talking....

So what are you thoughts on using UMBPCI.sys? Does it help get some of your DOS programs or games to work properly? And what are your experiences with this file before when using DOS or Windows 3.1?

Also I need help on trying to set this driver up so here is what my config.sys looks like.

DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CSP.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:7 D:1 H:5
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
FILES=40
rem text mode

rem graphics mode
Device=c:\qmax\386max.sys pro=c:\qmax\386max.pro
device=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DOS=HIGH
REM ** FILES=30
DEVICE=C:\QMAX\386load.sys size=11264 prog=C:\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001
Stacks=0,0
REM MAXIMIZE: ExtraDOS must come at the end of CONFIG.SYS
Device=C:\QMAX\ExtraDOS.max pro=C:\QMAX\ExtraDOS.PRO
Install=C:\QMAX\ExtraDOS.max

Reply 1 of 8, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

umbpci.sys is a driver that works with quite some chipsets to map in the upper memory by hardware.
RTFM.
So do not use a memory manager like 386Max etc to fill the umb pages.

Reply 2 of 8, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retardware wrote on 2019-12-30, 02:49:

umbpci.sys is a driver that works with quite some chipsets to map in the upper memory by hardware.
RTFM.
So do not use a memory manager like 386Max etc to fill the umb pages.

So how is that going to work with getting my CD drive and Mouse to work? And what is the command to type in CONFIG.sys?

Reply 3 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the era, I used to use such a thing - but not very often.
Usually, EMM386 was good enough.
"Real mode with UMB" was just one of the options in my multiconfig, and I only used it for some troublesome software which required a lot of conventional memory, and refused to work in V86 mode - I think it was mostly some demoscene stuff.

Normally, the speed difference between Real and V86 is negligible.
V86 gets noticably slower when there's a lot of interrupts, eg. when playing samples through PC Speaker - but you seem to have a Sound Blaster...

Windows 3.1, DOS4GW, and other extenders work in protected mode anyway, so no benefit from Real mode UMB here.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 4 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Read the manual that comes with the download. It tells you all you need to do.
Basically load umbpci in config.sys and then you can add a high to everything you load in config.sys and autoexec.bat (devicehigh= / LH)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bumrusher89 wrote on 2019-12-29, 23:28:

What I know about is when Windows 3.1 was first released Microsoft removed the real mode option, and gave us 386 enhanced mode. And remember when you have to turn off Windows 3.1 to use your DOS applications to work properly? Because of that some protected mode DOS applications use an older extented memory interface called the "Vritual program control interface" for short VPCI. And it is incompatible with Windows 3.1 DOS protection mode interface for short DPMI. VCPI was not chosen to work with Windows 3.1 if you access any older DOS programs from Windows 3.1 that uses a VCPI, it would either hang, freeze your computer, or program, give you errors and causes the DOS software you are using from Windows 3.1 or in protected mode to malfunction and get's stopped by the CPU's security system for violating system integrity. But using UMBPCI.sys can override that. I don't know that's just me talking....

Well, Windows 3.1 supports two operation modes: Standard and 386 Enhanced.
Unlike the omnipresent Enhanced Mode, the Standard Mode does support VCPI and its applications.
In Standard Mode, Windows 3.1 will keep what ever memory manager was loaded before (like a driver for a physical EMS board, for example).
In fact, in Standard Mode, Windows 3.1 is a VCPI client itself. That was one of the reasons it was favoured in OS/2.
(The "Enhanced" mode of WIN-OS/2 was based around a hacked 386 kernal that acted as a DPMI client (instead of being a DPMI host).)
Or let me put it this way - 386 Enhanced Mode contains a copy of an EMM386-style memory manager, which does DPMI but not VCPI.

Q86018: Windows 3.1 Has Limited Support for VCPI
https://jeffpar.github.io/kbarchive/kb/086/Q86018/

Bumrusher89 wrote on 2019-12-29, 23:28:

So what are you thoughts on using UMBPCI.sys? Does it help get some of your DOS programs or games to work properly?
And what are your experiences with this file before when using DOS or Windows 3.1?

UMBPCI is nice for getting free UMBs without having to use some V86 memory manager.
It reuses the memory intended for PCI, thus will work on 586 and a few 486 systems with PCI ("VIP").
All in all, it appears like "real" RAM to the computer, so no trickery and Memory Managment Unit (MMU) is involved.
Pretty much like a real ISA RAM card would look to the system.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 8, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2019-12-31, 14:16:
UMBPCI is nice for getting free UMBs without having to use some V86 memory manager. It reuses the memory intended for PCI, thus […]
Show full quote

UMBPCI is nice for getting free UMBs without having to use some V86 memory manager.
It reuses the memory intended for PCI, thus will work on 586 and a few 486 systems with PCI ("VIP").
All in all, it appears like "real" RAM to the computer, so no trickery and Memory Managment Unit (MMU) is involved.
Pretty much like a real ISA RAM card would look to the system.

Good explanation.

I honestly do not know why the author called the program "...PCI", as it covers even some ISA-only and VLB chipsets that can map shadow RAM.

Actually UMBPCI does simply use the mobo chipsets' shadow RAM function.
It puts "shadow" RAM into the areas between C000-EFFF where it does not find ROMs, and adds that to the UMA MCBs.
And unlike BIOS ROM shadowing, it does not write-protect these RAM areas.

Reply 7 of 8, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should be noted there are at least three drivers providing chipset-specific real-mode UMB:
* LastByte
* UMBPCI
* URAM

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 8 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@retardware Thanks! ^^

Grzyb wrote on 2019-12-31, 17:41:
It should be noted there are at least three drivers providing chipset-specific real-mode UMB: * LastByte * UMBPCI * URAM […]
Show full quote

It should be noted there are at least three drivers providing chipset-specific real-mode UMB:
* LastByte
* UMBPCI
* URAM

There's also another way of getting UMBs in Real-Mode. 😁
- An ISA RAM card, such as the LoTech 1MB card. It can fill the whole first Megabyte with read-/writeable RAM.

Only real drawback is performance. It uses 8-Bit "ISA" (aka PC-Bus/XT-Bus) with its slow clock speed.
Anyway, it still should do *okay* in most cases. DOS and its drivers usually don't require high speeds.
With the exception of SmartDrive and DoubleSpace, maybe.

But even here, the performance penalty of V86 might be more of an overall issue.
Some 386 and early 486 processors are slower if EMM386 is running (later models support VME and other improvements,
though I don't know if they are even used by the old versions of EMM386. QEMM 7.x+ claimed to support that, though).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//