VOGONS

First post, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello Vogons!
Thanks to MSFN.org, I've rediscovered the long-forgotten TCPMP Player for Windows. This player is pretty special because its the only decent MP4 decoder besides VLC 0.8.6 that can run MP4 applications on Vanilla Windows 98/Me. I believe TCPMP is also compatible with Windows 95 (I only got a chance to test it on Windows ME).

It's almost perfect in playing MP4's except for one issue: no AAC audio. The program informs me that the AAC plugin has been removed due to copyright reasons. I've searched the internet endlessly for the past few hours and turned up no results for a compatible ".plg" file. The files hosted online are aimed at PalmOS and PocketPC, which do not appear compatible with the Windows version.

If we can solve this one issue, then there is a potential to play MP4's on Vanilla Windows 95!

I posted a lot of my links here: https://msfn.org/board/topic/181040-mp4-playe … comment-1176432

Personal Blog

Reply 1 of 1, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JiaoTongNan wrote on 2020-01-17, 08:33:

The program informs me that the AAC plugin has been removed due to copyright reasons.
[...]
If we can solve this one issue, then there is a potential to play MP4's on Vanilla Windows 95!

Whatever "solve" is to mean in that case, but if it was removed due to copyright reasons, this is not the place to ask for it.