VOGONS

First post, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thinking about these as I build a new retro rig. So far the only game like this for me is MiG Alley: it simply refuses to play on Windows 8 or 10 no matter what combination of dgvoodoo, dxwnd, compatibility mode. etc. I throw at it. It will run but hardware-accelerated graphics are corrupted. It has to be played on older machines.

What other games have eluded all the modern fixes and wrappers and such that we're so fortunate to have now?

Reply 2 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about RealMagic games?

I know there were usually a version that also worked on computers that didn't have RealMagic hardware, but the RealMagic specific titles had extra content and/or better video.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 9, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-04, 08:25:

POD, since it uses some weird mode for graphics that was dropped at some point.

Also Shadow of the Empire, which is 3dfx-only. Though it probably works with a Glide wrapper.

What do you mean regarding POD, there are patches for D3D, Glide, and I think even more 3D apis. Do you just mean the software mode?

Shadows of the Empire supports Direct3D.

Reply 5 of 9, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this game on CD with a new Highscreen computer, sold by Vobis. I believe to promote the new Intel MMX instruction set.

No idea if it runs without MMX. 😀

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 6 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oetker wrote on 2020-02-10, 11:40:

What do you mean regarding POD, there are patches for D3D, Glide, and I think even more 3D apis. Do you just mean the software mode?

Menues etc. are garbled, making the game unusable. Does not affect every modern graphics card, however. With a few, the game still works.

Shadows of the Empire supports Direct3D.

No, it does not, at least not in that it can use any D3D card. It has direct support for 3dfx Glide as well as (apparently) Rendition Verite and Permedia 2. I still have the original retail version, which I bought in 1997, and my version is even 3dfx-only (no Verite or Permedia 2). I remember this because I also bought Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II along with it and when I upgraded from a Voodoo Rush to a Geforce 2 GTS shortly after, I was quite pissed that I could still play Jedi Knight but not Shadows of the Empire.

Could be that they made a patch that added generic D3D support, but the retail version don't have it.

Last edited by derSammler on 2020-02-10, 12:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 9, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also Shadow of the Empire, which is 3dfx-only. Though it probably works with a Glide wrapper.

What game is POD?

Reply 8 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-10, 12:11:

Could be that they made a patch that added generic D3D support, but the retail version don't have it.

It's DIrect3D (D3D Immediate Mode). Dependency Walker only references DDRAW.DLL and game invokes d3dim.dll. Game is known to run on Mystique and other freaky 3d cards, etc. It even does a D3D capabilities check. Unpatched '97 version. Also it can be emulated well today so it's not for this thread anyway.
POD can be emulated too so that's also irrelevant (POD's alleged 'weird mode' is just 16bpp software rendering).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 9, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
captain_koloth wrote on 2020-02-03, 22:53:

Thinking about these as I build a new retro rig. So far the only game like this for me is MiG Alley: it simply refuses to play on Windows 8 or 10 no matter what combination of dgvoodoo, dxwnd, compatibility mode. etc. I throw at it. It will run but hardware-accelerated graphics are corrupted. It has to be played on older machines.

What other games have eluded all the modern fixes and wrappers and such that we're so fortunate to have now?

Last tested on Wine 4.0(current version is 5.0 stable, 5.1 dev) running at silver(Applications with minor issues that do not affect typical usage )/gold(Applications that work flawlessly with some special configuration) level. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sC … ation&iId=11324

Have you tried running MIG Alley in a VM like qemu or virtualbox? virtualbox has 3d acceleration and qemu has passthrough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVw6sSdemSk