VOGONS

svga/vesa emulator for dos?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 22 of 34, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mhdbox385 wrote on 2020-02-13, 10:11:
pff. I don't even defend my cards vga-only nature anymore. You want to believe it is svga? Fine. Be happy, ok it is. Happy now? […]
Show full quote

pff. I don't even defend my cards vga-only nature anymore. You want to believe it is svga? Fine. Be happy, ok it is. Happy now?

You just keep going back to my card, over and over again, now that's lame. That's not what I want to know.

Now, back to my help request:

How can I run nfs on vga-only modes?

You could maybe hack the executable to run in vga for the menu.

But good luck with that. You still won't even give information about the video card that would let us potentially help you.

Still seems like you are trolling.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I've now locked this thread. You want help? Please provide information and follow the help posted. That's how things work.

Edit:
As I've been accused of unfair moderation, more explanation:

- you cannot do what you want to do without rewriting the game
- vga only cards are too slow to run the game
- it's borderline trolling to claim you have a vga only card, confirming this repeatedly and claiming it is not too slow, only to later admit it isn't a vga only card after all..

If anyone else comes up with a solution in how to run this in too slow vga only cards, I'm happy to reopen the thread. For now it seems to be burnt ground.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 24 of 34, by mhdbox385

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I am trying to make dos game need for speed (nfs) run on vga-only modes.

How can it be achieved?

Is there some kind of emulator/program for dos that would allow running svga game on vga-only video modes?

Reduced performance and/or reduced color is not a problem, since svga mode is a requirement only for the game menu.

Race itself can be set to run on vga 320x200x256 video mode.

Or is there any other work-around ?

I seached for but could not find any parameters that would skip menu directly to race.

Any help is appreciated.

Reply 25 of 34, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sci-Tech Display Doctor or UNIVBE.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 26 of 34, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

svga/vesa emulator for dos?

I don’t think opening a new thread on the same topic is going to get you any additional info.

Maybe try some other forums? vcfed.org or a NFS specific forum?

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 27 of 34, by mhdbox385

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote on 2020-02-16, 13:28:

But that doesn't work, it just is a driver for cards that support svga/vesa.
What I want to do is to run nfs on VGA-ONLY video modes.

Anyway when I run it I get this: "Supported video card not detected - installation aborted"

Also wikipedia says "UniVBE requires a video card with at least 512 KB of memory.", mine just isn't that.

Reply 28 of 34, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mhdbox385 wrote on 2020-02-16, 15:07:
But that doesn't work, it just is a driver for cards that support svga/vesa. What I want to do is to run nfs on VGA-ONLY video […]
Show full quote

Anyway when I run it I get this: "Supported video card not detected - installation aborted"

Also wikipedia says "UniVBE requires a video card with at least 512 KB of memory.", mine just isn't that.

Well there you have it. Your card has less than 512KiB. Which means it can’t even hold all the data for SVGA resolutions in its memory. Hence it will be near impossible to have an SVGA emulation on your card.

PS: running NFS on a 256 KiB card (which will be 8 or 16bit ISA by deduction) is rather masochistic 😀 I would suggest a VLB or PCI VGA card. Or upgrading to something with at least 512KiB.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 29 of 34, by mhdbox385

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
root42 wrote on 2020-02-16, 15:25:
mhdbox385 wrote on 2020-02-16, 15:07:
But that doesn't work, it just is a driver for cards that support svga/vesa. What I want to do is to run nfs on VGA-ONLY video […]
Show full quote

Well there you have it. Your card has less than 512KiB. Which means it can’t even hold all the data for SVGA resolutions in its memory. Hence it will be near impossible to have an SVGA emulation on your card.

PS: running NFS on a 256 KiB card (which will be 8 or 16bit ISA by deduction) is rather masochistic 😀 I would suggest a VLB or PCI VGA card. Or upgrading to something with at least 512KiB.

Reduced colors and/or reduced resolution = lower memory req.

I am sure that it is possible to emulate svga on vga, with either reduced color (256 reduced to 16 colors) or reduced resolution (by skipping pixels, 640/2 x 480/2 = 320x240) or both. I just want to know how it can be done, or if already done where to get such program.

Reply 30 of 34, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why so secretive about your graphics card? One of the things that makes this forum so good is there are very knowledgeable members, but when you withhold information because you think you know better, not only do you keep people from being able to help, you keep them from WANTING to help.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 31 of 34, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a suggestion, upgrade your videocard. $15 on ebay and your in business.

It’s clear no one hear has heard of generic software that can reduce the color depth or remap svga modes to Vga modes.

Short of someone patching NFS to bypass the menus, what you are asking for isn’t practical.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 32 of 34, by mhdbox385

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I absolutely don't think that I know better than anyone.

I already have an svga cards that runs nfs well, even without vesa drivers, they are just not my favourites.

For me retro isn't just being able to run a game or software on some old hardware, for that there a million retros, it doing so on your favourite one.

Anyway, thank you a lot for trying.

Reply 34 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

merged with the old topic, remaining locked. Decision has not changed. Let it go.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper