VOGONS

First post, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So before I rant since I know people will blame it on some of the below, here's the setups I've been using which 20+ times now has failed to give me a 100% working Win 98 SE installation:

TLDR version is I've tried 3x different computers, 3x HDD's, 6+ Win98 ISO, etc. etc.

• 3x different Pentium III computers (Dell Dimension XPS T450, Dell T700r, one I built around 2000) - the highest used one has been on the Dell's, specifically the 700mhz one
• 2x brand new (as of ~3-4 weeks ago) 120gb SSD drives (Crucial and Kingston) + one old school IDE drive on the one I built from scratch (+ 2GB SD card + 2GB CF card)
• 3x different SATA to IDE adapters (2x different brands) (plus those SD and CF card, but those weren't used much)
• At least 6 different flavors of ISO's (including my ~20+ year old original) of Windows 98 Second Edition
--- Most ISO's burned 4x (which my new USB burners can't even do) on super nice Verbatim DataLife Plus CD-R's (this burner + media has worked PERFECT on everything, including 100+ console games)
--- tried custom, typical, etc. Windows installations numerous times
--- Tried installs with all cards pulled except video card, tried it with all cards in, tried it with 2x other older TNT2 cards
--- Tried installs with the Unofficial Service pack used afterwards (the newer one people think is bloated, and the older v2? one people like), tried it with the Windows Security Update CD/Feb 2004 which a mod on this forum (I think) highly recommended on several posts (just in cast any of these ways of updating Windows would get rid of my problems). Tried different versions of DirectX, different versions of GeForce drivers, tried the swapping in IE5.5 DLL's to get rid of the Explorer hang issue, etc. etc etc.
• ALL drivers are Windows 98 specific and sourced from ones Phil recommends, the people here recommend and are on Vogons Drivers... i.e. I'm cross referencing what the best to use is every time. If there's a MD5 hash I actually run it to make sure the download went correctly...
• Only constants (on the 2x Dell's) is the higher-end cards I bought for this specific build (GeForce 4 ti, then more recently 2x Voodoo2's, ESS EF1868F ISA sound card, Audigy 2 ZS PCI sound card).

So onto my rant. It's been about a month now and for one or two nights during the workweek, and literally 12+ hours each weekend day (hey, I'm off and the majority of that time is just things installing/loading and copying over at least 😉 I've been trying to get this to run correctly. I have over 200 different images and photos I've taken of this process and all the different issues I've had (and have posted here about a bunch of them). To refresh my memory I just went through my photos/videos and here's a sampling of the multiple types of issues:

Click here for my NUMEROUS woes...like so many it's kinda insane 🤣

Most common problems is the computer hanging...and I don't mean for like 5 or 10 seconds. I'm talking minutes then a whole bunch of things (i.e. places I was clicking) will pop-up all of the sudden....and usually crash afterwards. Not being able to restart because of mysterious processes it has to 'end task'/kill (with no name of that process in the blue header). The lovely repeating problem of Explorer freezing if I move, copy, or delete a lot of files (seems to be a fault of IE6). Disk initialization errors on brand new HDDs. VFAT errors, sound stuttering, font corruption while blue screening and on system pop-up windows, duplicate drivers for no reason, missing driver files not on Windows CD's (which they are there, I checked...), kernel errors, shutdown errors (with errors that can't be found on ALL of google/duckduckgo!), inability for registry edits to take, missing sections of graphics of windows like Explorer, showing 4x different windows when I only have one single instance open, stack overflows, runtime errors, the Windows Start button itself disappearing..., network password prompts magically popping up (I have no network setup, let alone a ethernet card...), Voodoo driver issues, CRT monitor blanking out numerous times after Voodoo drivers, etc. etc. etc.

To add insult to injury I did have one pretty perfect install....ALL drivers working. no glitches (yet). So I then backed it up with Norton Ghost 2003.... then the Voodoo2 drivers made my CRT loose sync upon boot-up multiple times in a row and killed that install....and when I restored with Norton I could no longer delete files with Explorer...so I had to reformat again and start from scratch....that was last night FYI).

Just an hour ago for instance, I install Windows 98 SE from scratch, again. I literally burned a brand new CD AND installed a brand new CD burner, and used a new IDE cable (I'm grasping at straws...but just in case either was bad/malfunctioning...). After it boots up I go to drag the misc icons from the desktop (like the folder with AOL links in it, the "connect to the Internet" shortcut, IE shortcut, etc.) and drag them into the trash and get an error that it can't be deleted. Reboot, delete those, system then takes 2 minutes to open Explorer. I try to reboot again, and it won't let me "the program is not responding" and do I want to "Wait" or "End Task" (which the program name is missing from the top blue bar so I don't even know what it is that's holding up reboot). System then freezes and I have to reboot again... This is on a fresh install. NOTHING was installed yet. Not even a single driver (and again, it does things like this when I pull all cards for the Windows installation, AND things like this has happened on multiple different computers).

All I can ask is W. T. F. is going on here? This is absolutely insane. And TBH, is why I switched to Mac's over a decade ago which rarely give me any problems like listed above (for transparency I did recently give Windows 7 and 10 a go with a GroovyMAME/CRT Emudriver/Switchres build...which was a nightmare as well).

Anyway, should I go to Windows 2000 for this build? That's the last version (besides crappy ME) which was built on DOS proper, right? 2000 Professional or Server? I'm SO ready to try something else... do most Win98 drivers work on 2000? This will stink since I was purposely re-building the computer I had during college which had Win98... but I'm nearly at my wits' end here and don't know what to do. I've barely played any of these games I've loaded! It's all reformat and reinstall for weeks now!

Last edited by Dochartaigh on 2020-02-16, 06:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 50, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do understand your pain... and I've settled for a Windows 2000 Professional virtual machine on vmware for my games.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 2 of 50, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's strange how certain problems seem to follow people through the years no matter how much time has passed or how many different machines they try things on. It won't be much comfort to you but I've never had such problems with any Win 9x install I've attempted.

The first thing I would attempt to do is look at the device manager and see if you are getting any warnings or have any uninstalled hardware drivers. If you don't know how this is done just right click on 'My Computer' , choose 'Properties', then 'Hardware' tab, then 'Device Manager'.

My first suspicion would be the SATA to IDE adapters. Also you don't mention how much RAM you are using in these machines, I imagine since you are able to install you are at or under 512MB but perhaps you have an unusual configuration? Just checking to make sure.

Don't use unofficial service packs, ever. 98SE plus USB drivers is all you should need.

Can you boot into safemode by pressing F8 during boot? How does the computer operate when you are in safe mode? Do you still have weirdness?

Remove all hardware except a video card, ram, and a mass storage device. I would consider trying an IDE HDD so you can avoid the SATA to IDE adapter. Don't install any drivers windows itself doesn't install and see if the system is stable. Then install one device at a time and check for system stability after each. That way we can try to narrow down what might be causing the issue.

Also another thought, have you tried different RAM?

Stick with it, the only way to ever put these troubles to rest is head on.

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2020-02-16, 06:18. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 50, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to say I can not really relate.
Sure the installer isn't 100% and especially fdisk is pretty useless most of the time but I've never experienced such major hassle as you have.
The only time I really ran into major problems, bluescreens and crashes was when I first used an Abit KT7A RAID with the bugged VIA southbridge and a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 so I got lots of data corruption. The problem was solved by using the integrated RAID controller for the HDD and obviously hardware related.
Cutting it short I don't know why it works so badly for you. 🙁
I remember Win98 crashing between once a week to once a month back then and that's about the rate I'm experiencing now. Obviously that wouldn't be acceptable with a modern system but back then it was considered normal.
CF/SD cards can cause short system freezes when write-behind caching is enabled btw.

Reply 4 of 50, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I had some of the problems you are describing, it was a failing HDD. Am I right that you have used only one IDE HDD? I don't use SSD (didn't even know this was possible with 98SE), CF, or SD with 98SE -- just old fashioned IDE HDD. I would source another one rather than use the solid state stuff, which works great in DOS for me, but I don't trust it for Windows.

Reply 5 of 50, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote on 2020-02-16, 06:16:

When I had some of the problems you are describing, it was a failing HDD. Am I right that you have used only one IDE HDD? I don't use SSD (didn't even know this was possible with 98SE), CF, or SD with 98SE -- just old fashioned IDE HDD. I would source another one rather than use the solid state stuff, which works great in DOS for me, but I don't trust it for Windows.

I run an SSD on my Win98SE rig without a problem but I have native SATA support.

Reply 6 of 50, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-02-16, 06:02:

The first thing I would attempt to do is look at the device manager and see if you are getting any warnings or have any uninstalled hardware drivers. If you don't know how this is done just right click on 'My Computer' , choose 'Properties', then 'Hardware' tab, then 'Device Manager'.

Device manager, after all drivers are installed I'm pretty sure is always devoid of any of those yellow exclamation points.

My first suspicion would be the SATA to IDE adapters. Also you don't mention how much RAM you are using in these machines, I imagine since you are able to install you are at or under 512MB but perhaps you have an unusual configuration? Just checking to make sure.

The SATA to IDE adapters I'm using are the StarTech ones I've had good luck with on consoles like Dreamcast. I also picked up a different type (suggested in my build topic I made here – the guy says it's his go-to and that he's tried many others) which plugs directly into the IDE on the MB. Also have (on the non-Dell computer) a regular spinning mechanical drive.

I put up an eBay alert for a Promise SATA150 TX2plus PCI card (said to be best, and only one which has Win98 drivers), and I finally got one this week but haven't tried it out yet. Seems to be able to run 2x SATA drives (without any adapters/converters but the PCI card itself) + a regular IDE drive (assuming two on the same cable) but I haven't used it yet (haven't even researched what's involved yet). Ideally this would let me run my 2gb CF card for DOS on IDE, my primary 120gb SSD via SATA, and my secondary 120GB SSD on the 2nd SATA line.

I'm using 256mb of RAM. I was told that certain DOS games (think they mentioned Crusader?) won't play if you have more RAM than that.

Don't use unofficial service packs, ever. 98SE plus USB drivers is all you should need.

Can you boot into safemode by pressing F8 during boot? How does the computer operate when you are in safe mode? Do you still have weirdness?

I didn't use any service packs until a couple weeks in - and they seemed to do more harm than good TBH (the 2004 security patch one I can't tell if it does anything positive or not - just started using that one this week).

I'm using the nubs36E USB driver (and that's how I get most of the files onto this machine...well, all the games are on a 2nd SSD now since I've been switching them back and forth as I format and reinstall windows).

Safe mode only lets me have a small like 640x480 desktop (if that), so it's unusable for anything (even copying files I can barely fit 2x Explorer windows side by side!). I can boot into safe mode fine. And sometimes when regular mode freezes up on reboot, I can boot into safe mode, then reboot again into regular and it'll be fine.

Remove all hardware except a video card, ram, and a mass storage device. I would consider trying an IDE HDD so you can avoid the SATA to IDE adapter. Don't install any drivers windows itself doesn't install and see if the system is stable. Then install one device at a time and check for system stability after each. That way we can try to narrow down what might be causing the issue.

Also another thought, have you tried different RAM?

I tried that at the very first problem as that's the first step of troubleshooting in my eyes....but it's not that easy. These problems don't always crop up immediately (like they've done today, 2x reinstalls in a row grrr!). They can be fine for a few days, or fine for a couple hours.

For RAM – it tests fine in the BIOS (the boot-up test), and I believe is matched brand/type. The other Dell has mismatched RAM (at least different brands, one is taller than the other). I'm sure I can buy some RAM for cheap if you think that's worth it to try (I have 3x banks, and these are 128mb in 2x of those).

I also want to reinforce that the two computers I've been messing with the most are the two Dell's. Totally separate machines with different RAM, HDD's, etc. Same exact type of problems on each of them. The other system is the one I was messing with probably a year ago the most often (only a bit now), and I know I had other weird/similar issues on Win98SE on that one as well.... so I just don't know what it could be. That one didn't even have any of these fancy cards - it has integrated graphics and sound even (and I would be lying if I said I remembered exactly what that one did....just know I had to reinstall Windows probably 3+ times on that to get it to work half way decently).

boxpressed wrote on 2020-02-16, 06:16:

I've tried 2x SSD's (120gb max size for Win98), with 3x SATA to IDE adapters (2x different brands/types), + a regular old fashioned spinning mechanical HDD for the non-Dell.

I know I was never able to get the SSD's "4k partition aligned" due to not having a Linux box (and numerous boot-up partition CD's won't boot-up on Pentium III's evidentially so those didn't work), but it seems like I would need millions and millions of writes on these SSD's before they start to go corrupt so I haven't been worrying about it.

What does everybody think of me trying Windows 2000 Professional? I'm burning a CD of it right now...just sayin' 😉 . I'm finding some posts that say it won't run DOS games at all....which seems weird to me since 2000 is based on DOS. Are they maybe talking about running DOS games inside Windows and the compatibility there not being as good as Win98?? I'm fine rebooting into DOS mode to run DOS games (I've been using Phil's Computer Lab's reboot file for that to good effect).

Besides that, what else can I try on the Win98 setups? Like I said I can't really run like 1 card at a time until I find out that the problem is (if it's even one card alone causing issues).... like what would I be doing with the computer in the meanwhile? I can't test and run/play games without sound if I remove the sound cards. Can't play much of anything if I switch out the GeForce 4 ti card for a super slow/older one. Can't run the Voodoo2's in SLI without a 2D card installed as well (and again, would drive me crazy to play anything without proper sound!).

Are there any testing programs I should be using to run tests? Like HDD tests (which I don't know how well those would do on a SSD), RAM tests, video card tests, etc. It really does seem like a hardware fault somewhere...

Thanks for all the suggestions so far (and letting me know I'm not completely alone in my issues 🤣).

Reply 7 of 50, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-02-16, 07:44:

I'm using the nubs36E USB driver (and that's how I get most of the files onto this machine...well, all the games are on a 2nd SSD now since I've been switching them back and forth as I format and reinstall windows).

I doubt this is causing your issues, since they seem to be much more severe than what I've ever experienced, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. On my Abit Kt7A, the on-board USB was somewhat troublesome, so I disabled it completely. My main problem was that it seemed to take up at least 3 separate IRQ values, which conflicted with my sound card and caused it to behave strangely, sometimes failing to initialize other times stuttering in games. Nusb also never worked reliably for me, often causing weird failures when copying files to and from the USB stick.

As for transferring data to and from the retro computer, I'm now using an old Realtek 100 Mbit network card. It has drivers for Win9x and uses only a single IRQ value (which I can select manually) and that works perfectly for my needs. It might be worthwhile to disable on-board USB in BIOS, install Windows 98SE without the nusb drivers or any other service packs and see if that makes a difference.

What does everybody think of me trying Windows 2000 Professional? I'm burning a CD of it right now...just sayin' 😉 . I'm finding some posts that say it won't run DOS games at all....which seems weird to me since 2000 is based on DOS.

Windows 2000 is not based on DOS. It's a successor to Windows NT 4.0 and is using much of the same technology.

You won't have much luck with DOS games there, but most Windows 9x games should work fine.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 8 of 50, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Starting the Windows 9x setup via CD-ROM is often buggy.
(Hey, It's Win9x, after all. It must be buggy. 😉 )

A long time ago I switched to partitioning/formatting the HDD first, -without making things bootable- (FORMAT C: /B),
then copying WIN98 (WIN9X) and DRIVERS directory over to it.

After that, I boot via WIN98 CD-ROM, select the CD-ROM driver enabled option and after DOS is up and running, manually switch to C:\WIN98,
from where I invoke SETUP with or without the parameters /N /M..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 50, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 2000 Pro is a great OS in its own right, but it is most certainly NOT built on DOS. It's true NT kernel. You might as well go with Windows XP

Reply 10 of 50, by mhdbox385

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some systems are just not meant for some OSes. I used win98se from 2000 to 2006 (Yes, I was happy with it), and during this period have re-installed it many times without a problem. Why so many re-installs, it wasn't pc's or win98's fault, because I was screwing it up, I was experimenting a lot and breaking it down, trying to understand how pc works. Also not yet knowing how to dual-boot, I was sometimes installing linux suse, and after a week of realizing that it is crap I was reinstalling win98se again.

Reply 11 of 50, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm running Win98se on about 10 retro systems now and never had such problems. I usually don't mix old and new hardware, however. SSDs, SATA-to-IDE crap and all that stuff does not belong into a Win98 retro machine based on a Pentium III. Use proper hardware from that time period and all will probably work as it should.

Also, I never use any ISOs downloaded from the net. I copy the install files from my original CD and that is all I ever use. There are only two issues with Win98 you almost can't avoid: In most cases, the first shutdown / reboot after seeing the Desktop for the first time will result in a blue screen (about every second system did that). Second, shutting down is generally unstable and often will hang with a blinking cursor.

Another thing Win98 is very bad at is ACPI. Make sure it's turned off in the BIOS *before* installing Win98, as you can not remove ACPI support from Win98 once it has been installed.

Reply 12 of 50, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-16, 15:57:

I'm running Win98se on about 10 retro systems now and never had such problems. I usually don't mix old and new hardware, however. SSDs, SATA-to-IDE crap and all that stuff does not belong into a Win98 retro machine based on a Pentium III. Use proper hardware from that time period and all will probably work as it should.

Basically this. I find it hard to believe that you are replicating the same errors across multiple systems and components. Simplify. Buy a brand new 120GB IDE HDD from eBay for $20, and stop watching Phil's videos for a while.

Reply 13 of 50, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

.... Also have (on the non-Dell computer) a regular spinning mechanical drive. ....

You have a clearly a problem with your harddisk subsystem.
So I fully agree with the answers of the other people here.

What about that mechanical drive? Did you install Windows 98 SE on that? Did it work?

Reply 14 of 50, by Dochartaigh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-02-16, 08:28:

As for transferring data to and from the retro computer, I'm now using an old Realtek 100 Mbit network card. It has drivers for Win9x and uses only a single IRQ value (which I can select manually) and that works perfectly for my needs. It might be worthwhile to disable on-board USB in BIOS, install Windows 98SE without the nusb drivers or any other service packs and see if that makes a difference.

With all the cards installed I don't have room for an ethernet adapter - every slot is filled. Right now though, since I have all the cards except the video card pulled I guess I could try that. One of the Dell's came with an ethernet card which I assume works in Win98.

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-02-16, 08:28:

What does everybody think of me trying Windows 2000 Professional? I'm burning a CD of it right now...just sayin' 😉 . I'm finding some posts that say it won't run DOS games at all....which seems weird to me since 2000 is based on DOS.

Windows 2000 is not based on DOS. It's a successor to Windows NT 4.0 and is using much of the same technology.

You won't have much luck with DOS games there, but most Windows 9x games should work fine.

Thanks for clarifying. The Wiki said that Windows ME was "the last DOS-based version of Windows", and since Window 2000 came out before ME I just assumed 2000 was based off DOS as well. I guess asking if I should try Windows ME instead is out of the question? I still remember all the problems everybody was having with that OS back then.... and since the majority of the games I play are later DOS games I don't want to use XP (I have so many games, that for proper midi sound I have to reboot into MS-DOS mode so I don't think XP is an option).

Jo22 wrote on 2020-02-16, 11:14:
A long time ago I switched to partitioning/formatting the HDD first, -without making things bootable- (FORMAT C: /B), then copyi […]
Show full quote

A long time ago I switched to partitioning/formatting the HDD first, -without making things bootable- (FORMAT C: /B),
then copying WIN98 (WIN9X) and DRIVERS directory over to it.

After that, I boot via WIN98 CD-ROM, select the CD-ROM driver enabled option and after DOS is up and running, manually switch to C:\WIN98,
from where I invoke SETUP with or without the parameters /N /M..

I started trying to format the SSD's with 4K partition alignment which Win98 setup did NOT like (think I posted about that problem here as well). After that I gave up and usually booted from Win98SE CD into DOS mode, used Fdisk to delete the partition on the SSD then create a new primary one, then relaunched Windows setup (either by rebooting or doing to D:\ and running setup). I never tried any /N or /M setting (don't know what those do). Windows then always prompted me to do a full format of the SSD which takes about an hour and a half.

A little later I also did format, and quick format (think so, /q) of the SSD on occasion from DOS since the full format Windows setup does takes so long.

maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-02-16, 15:39:

Windows 2000 Pro is a great OS in its own right, but it is most certainly NOT built on DOS. It's true NT kernel. You might as well go with Windows XP

I have so many games I have to run with 'reboot in ms-dos mode' to get sound working I don't think XP is an option for me.

mhdbox385 wrote on 2020-02-16, 15:46:

Some systems are just not meant for some OSes. I used win98se from 2000 to 2006 (Yes, I was happy with it), and during this period have re-installed it many times without a problem. Why so many re-installs, it wasn't pc's or win98's fault, because I was screwing it up, I was experimenting a lot and breaking it down, trying to understand how pc works. Also not yet knowing how to dual-boot, I was sometimes installing linux suse, and after a week of realizing that it is crap I was reinstalling win98se again.

I totally agree I'm new and learning. But we're literally talking about multiple installs where I pop the Windows 98 CD in, hit next, next, next, next, then boot-up (like literally ZERO chance of user error), and I still get funky things happening right off the get-fo...like complete with me taking pictures and filming such behavior....like it's insane...and we're talking different computers here with different burns of Win98SE... haven't even tried to dual-boot yet either!

Also, I never use any ISOs downloaded from the net. I copy the install files from my original CD and that is all I ever use. There are only two issues with Win98 you almost can't avoid: In most cases, the first shutdown / reboot after seeing the Desktop for the first time will result in a blue screen (about every second system did that). Second, shutting down is generally unstable and often will hang with a blinking cursor.

Several times I used my original ISO of regular Windows 98 (don't think it was SE). I've had that file on my computer for ~20ish years! (the CD was long since damaged). Using this also gives me problems.

I just looked on eBay to buy a new physical/original disk. Am I ok with the versions which say "for distribution with a new PC only"? I always worry about those being like Dell-centric or Gateway-centric or whatever which might not play nice on the wrong model computer. Don't know which versions of SE would be the regular vanilla version which works on ANY PC from any manufacturer (oh, and I use the phrase "works" with a grain of salt of course 😉

For the blue screen, strangely enough that has been one of my most rare problems. And out of ~20 or so (I really don't know how many, I've literally lost count it's been so many times) I only had one install with the hang bug where it wouldn't shut down regularly (BUT, I remember this happening ALL the time back in the day - like for 10 years straight I couldn't shut down without manually turning the computer off!).

Another thing Win98 is very bad at is ACPI. Make sure it's turned off in the BIOS *before* installing Win98, as you can not remove ACPI support from Win98 once it has been installed.

ACPI is the power management? Could that possibly cause any of these weird problems? In my 440bx BIOS I have "Power Management" as "Enabled" - so I should definitely turn that off?

boxpressed wrote on 2020-02-16, 16:26:

Basically this. I find it hard to believe that you are replicating the same errors across multiple systems and components. Simplify. Buy a brand new 120GB IDE HDD from eBay for $20, and stop watching Phil's videos for a while.

Only same components are the video and sound cards I'm using on both Dell's. Everything else I have multiples of (entire different computers with MB's, RAM, SSD's, cables, CD drives, floppy drives, etc.). for the last 2 weeks it's been mainly on my Dell T500 (with 700mhz Slot 1 upgrade) since that has the non-jacked-up case. For the ~2 weeks prior to that I had the Dell T700r (both bought from eBay as I couldn't find anything local for the last year or so).

I just popped in the 10GB mechanical drive from the non-Dell... but REALLY don't want to give up on SSD's as they limit one more moving part prone to breakage...

CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-16, 16:43:
You have a clearly a problem with your harddisk subsystem. So I fully agree with the answers of the other people here. […]
Show full quote

.... Also have (on the non-Dell computer) a regular spinning mechanical drive. ....

You have a clearly a problem with your harddisk subsystem.
So I fully agree with the answers of the other people here.

What about that mechanical drive? Did you install Windows 98 SE on that? Did it work?

I haven't used the mechanical drive on the Dell's - just popped it out of the non-Dell though... it worked OK on the non-Dell, still had to reinstall several times to get a working install (but it was WAY easier on that non-Dell because I was using the integrated graphics and sound - no cards/drivers to deal with really....but a VERY limited system because of that - doesn't even have AGP or ISA slots for example, only PCI).

So are you pretty certain that it couldn't be something else? Like bad RAM or bad cable(s) or something I can't even think of? I keep telling myself 'there's no way TWO computers could BOTH have faulty parts'....but who friggin knows.

Reply 15 of 50, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So are you pretty certain that it couldn't be something else? Like bad RAM or bad cable(s) or something I can't even think of? I keep telling myself 'there's no way TWO computers could BOTH have faulty parts'....but who friggin knows.

Bad RAM certainly not. With bad RAM, Windows would constantly blue-screen and programs would crash with a GPF. What you describe is certainly a problem with the drive Windows is installed on. Especially those lags of up to several minutes is something I experienced myself when using Win9x on flash media. It would fill many pages to explain the technical background why this happens, so let me try to keep it short: due to the lack of flash media support in Win9x (actually up to XP), no TRIM command is ever issued, which in turn means that flash cells are never empty (for the controller) and must be erased whenever Windows writes to the disk. Since only whole blocks but not individual cells can be erased (which is a problem, as block size of the flash memory and cluster size of the FAT are not aligned), this causes a cascade of reads, erasures, and writes. Erasing is very slow, and even a simple action like starting the Windows Explorer may cause thousands of such events. As a result, Windows will be very sluggish.

Reply 16 of 50, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-02-16, 18:54:

I guess asking if I should try Windows ME instead is out of the question? I still remember all the problems everybody was having with that OS back then.... and since the majority of the games I play are later DOS games I don't want to use XP (I have so many games, that for proper midi sound I have to reboot into MS-DOS mode so I don't think XP is an option).

I have only used ME for a few weeks back when it came out, and all I remember is that it crashed constantly on my computer from then. Never tried it since, but I hear other people have had better luck with it.

Also, I think ME removed the "Restart in MS-DOS mode" option.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 17 of 50, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-02-16, 19:36:
Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-02-16, 18:54:

I guess asking if I should try Windows ME instead is out of the question? I still remember all the problems everybody was having with that OS back then.... and since the majority of the games I play are later DOS games I don't want to use XP (I have so many games, that for proper midi sound I have to reboot into MS-DOS mode so I don't think XP is an option).

I have only used ME for a few weeks back when it came out, and all I remember is that it crashed constantly on my computer from then. Never tried it since, but I hear other people have had better luck with it.

Also, I think ME removed the "Restart in MS-DOS mode" option.

That was a piece of cake to reinstate.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-02-16, 21:46. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 18 of 50, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder if your motherboard is going bad. It sounds annoyingly similar to the issues I've been experiencing:
Re: Super Socket 7 Win98SE masochism (work in progress)

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 19 of 50, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would be tempted to suggest checking the power supply if all other avenues of inquiry have been exhausted.

Dochartaigh wrote on 2020-02-16, 05:41:

The lovely repeating problem of Explorer freezing if I move, copy, or delete a lot of files (seems to be a fault of IE6).

This is indeed a very well-established problem with IE6. Solutions are available.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/84451-98-fe-98-s … shell32dll-fix/