VOGONS

First post, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

resubmitting in correct sub;

Hey guys, thanks in advance to those of you with the patience to deal with this!

So I’m trying to get my cdrom working in dos under a different drive letter, as I have two IDE hard drives taking up C and D respectively. So I followed some guides from Phil’s computer lab, wonderful contributions but I’m afraid I probably mucked something up and I am asking for assistance to fix.

I’ve uploaded some images of what I’ve done to the autoexc and config files to imgur; sorry for the potato quality. But I did follow his guide for the sb16 drivers in dos, so I got something right?
https://imgur.com/a/SFZJ60r

Reply 1 of 48, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For VIDECDD.SYS, the device name is given with "/D:", not "/E:". Same goes for MSCDEX.EXE, where it is "/D:" as well. So that parameter is and must be always exactly the same for both.

The drive letter is given to MSCDEX.EXE using "/L:x", where x is the letter you want. When using DOS <7.x, you need to have LASTDRIVE=x in your config.sys, with x being the same or a later letter of what you assign to the CD-ROM.

Reply 2 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-27, 18:09:

For VIDECDD.SYS, the device name is given with "/D:", not "/E:". Same goes for MSCDEX.EXE, where it is "/D:" as well. So that parameter is and must be always exactly the same for both.

The drive letter is given to MSCDEX.EXE using "/L:x", where x is the letter you want. When using DOS <7.x, you need to have LASTDRIVE=x in your config.sys, with x being the same or a later letter of what you assign to the CD-ROM.

Thanks for the reply, I am looking at the config.sys and I see the error, and forgive me, I really am very unfamiliar with this stuff, I am using whatever DOS kernel is built into windows 98 se... so I presume 6.22? I saw the line where I had the D: and E: conflict... Should I put those back to D since that isn't the same as the mscdex? Also I am not sure where I need to add the LASTDRIVE line to... I apologize for my ignorance in this. But sincerely appreciate the help.

Reply 3 of 48, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In config.sys, change all lines with VIDECDD.SYS to:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\VIDECDD.SYS /D:OPTICAL

At the very end, add:

[common]
LASTDRIVE=Z

In autoexec.bat, change the MSCDEX.EXE line to:

LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL /E /L:X

You may change "X" to whatever drive letter you want the drive to have.

Reply 4 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply, I hate having to have people spell stuff out for me... but I appreciate it! I changed all the lines back to /D:OPTICAL but it seems that its still hung up somewhere on the E: thing and now I get an "Performed an illegal operation, the computer locks up and the buzzer just screams at me... I thought the only two places were the config.sys and autoexec.bat?

Reply 5 of 48, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Damionsux wrote on 2020-03-28, 17:55:

Thanks for the reply, I hate having to have people spell stuff out for me... but I appreciate it! I changed all the lines back to /D:OPTICAL but it seems that its still hung up somewhere on the E: thing and now I get an "Performed an illegal operation, the computer locks up and the buzzer just screams at me... I thought the only two places were the config.sys and autoexec.bat?

Does it lock up at this line LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL /E /L:X?
Try skipping the /E, so only
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL /L:X

Reply 6 of 48, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think he means when he's accessing E:

Please give some more info about the hardware used. It's rather unlikely that trying to access the CD-ROM drive causes the system to hang.

You may also want to try OAKCDROM.SYS instead of VIDECDD.SYS. I once had trouble using VIDECDD.SYS with a modern DVD drive.

Reply 7 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-28, 19:13:

Please give some more info about the hardware used. It's rather unlikely that trying to access the CD-ROM drive causes the system to hang.

You may also want to try OAKCDROM.SYS instead of VIDECDD.SYS. I once had trouble using VIDECDD.SYS with a modern DVD drive.

the cdrom is in fact newer, its a tsscorp cd burner/dvd rom, I will try the oak cd rom

Reply 8 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-03-28, 18:45:
Does it lock up at this line LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL /E /L:X? Try skipping the /E, so only LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTI […]
Show full quote
Damionsux wrote on 2020-03-28, 17:55:

Does it lock up at this line LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL /E /L:X?
Try skipping the /E, so only
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL /L:X

I removed the /E out of the line, still hangs and screams at me...

Reply 9 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Damionsux wrote on 2020-03-28, 20:29:
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-28, 19:13:

the cdrom is in fact newer, its a tsscorp cd burner/dvd rom, I will try the oak cd rom

so i just slap that oakcdrom.sys in the same /dos folder then rename all the lines that have the videcdd.sys?

Reply 11 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I replaced all of the E:OPTICAL with D:OPTICAL and still showing E:OPTICAL during initialization, also replaced the videcdd with oakcdrom still hangs at that "illegal operation" error... should I just hose the autoexec and config and start a new one?

Reply 13 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I nuked the config.sys and autoexec.bat, replaced with new files, and added the edit of the "[common] lastdrive=z" and the line handle "LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL /E /L:X" still facing the stalling issue and the buzzer screaming at me...

Reply 14 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

odd enough, I rebooted AGAIN and this time its working, however im getting some errors where the cute mouse isn't seeing the device, but thats probably because I have a usb mouse and the awe32 initialization is failing too, but not sure what that is about

Reply 16 of 48, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have other hard drives you can play with, you might try loading DOS on a single drive and getting the DVD drive configured properly, then add and configure the second hard drive.

I just did that on my machine and it has the letter arrangement you're after: DOS is C:, the second drive is D:, and the DVD drive is E:.

Also, you mentioned that your DVD drive is a TSS, they may have their own driver available on their website if you can find the exact model: http://www.tsstodd.com/eng/

Reply 17 of 48, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Damionsux wrote on 2020-03-28, 23:09:

Here’s an update to the imgur album with the changes
https://imgur.com/a/SFZJ60r

You realize you have a CONFIG.BAT in that album, right? I hope you haven't been trying to make changes to that. You also still have several instances of /E:OPTICAL in there.

For the purpose of figuring out what the problem is, you can just type out the commands in AUTOEXEC.BAT manually if you want.

Reply 18 of 48, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure if the problem has to do with the cd drive at all. Sounds like a more serious hardware issue to me.

Could you please try booting from the Win95 or 98 boot floppy disk? It has CD-ROM support. Check if that is working.

Reply 19 of 48, by Damionsux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-03-29, 08:28:

I'm not sure if the problem has to do with the cd drive at all. Sounds like a more serious hardware issue to me.

Could you please try booting from the Win95 or 98 boot floppy disk? It has CD-ROM support. Check if that is working.

That for sure is working