Reply 60 of 108, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-05, 06:36:

There was a happy consensus that Me sucked. You guys are wrecking it 😁

Wrecking wrong consensuses built on ignorance is one of my top 3 hobbies. 😁

Last edited by dr_st on 2020-06-05, 08:17. Edited 1 time in total.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 61 of 108, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have it installed on my Tualatin PC, and it's ultimately a lot more stable than its reputation would have you believe. But at the end of the day it is Windows 98 with USB support, DOS layer taken away and a lot of useless eye candy added on top. With NUSB drivers for Windows 98SE there is really no reason to use it, to be honest with you.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 63 of 108, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Come to think of it, I have some use for Windows ME...

One day, I'm going to build the following machine:
- Celeron 266, no L2 cache at all
- an ultra-sluggish 1st generation Quantum Bigfoot
- Sound Blaster PCI (ES137x)
- a winmodem as the only connection
- s3 Virge, for running the most demanding 3D games of the era
- Windows ME...
- ...and Microsoft Bob running on top of it

Now, can anybody imagine something more masochist than that? 😁

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 65 of 108, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2020-06-05, 09:38:
Come to think of it, I have some use for Windows ME... […]
Show full quote

- Windows ME...

That Celeron on a SiS 620 board without dedicated Vram. So that the graphics eats whatever little memory bandwidth was there to begin with. 🤣

Reply 66 of 108, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well there were actual PCs like that in 2000 in some supermarkets, when internet was having that big mainstream push, so there'd be entry level Celerons with 32MB as IE5-powered "web PCs" - which was slightly feasible then because IE5 was fast, and Flash ads weren't much of a thing yet (and way before slow flash video and other slower browser advancements) and pages weren't anywhere as obscenely as javascriptbloated dynamic (very few went with then "DHTML")

So where's the problem? The OEM bloatware 😀

(3D games are out of the question of course....)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 67 of 108, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andrea wrote on 2020-06-06, 10:17:
Grzyb wrote on 2020-06-05, 09:38:
Come to think of it, I have some use for Windows ME... […]
Show full quote

- Windows ME...

That Celeron on a SiS 620 board without dedicated Vram. So that the graphics eats whatever little memory bandwidth was there to begin with. 🤣

That's a Troll build, it's the whole point.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 68 of 108, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-06-05, 06:36:

There was a happy consensus that Me sucked. You guys are wrecking it 😁

There hasn't been a happy consensus that Me sucked on Vogons for years. Frankly I find that kind of dogmatism kinda stupid.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 69 of 108, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WinMe sucked on 98SE hardware because everyone had 98SE hardware.
98SE hardware didn't get Me qualified drivers and most pcs were everyday half way through lifecycle stuff.
Skipping the 9x era into 2000 - 2007 hardware was the golden era for all win 9x like pentium 4 cpu's
They had the unqualified superior tech that could handle the futuristic Millennium appeal with out qualification. (SATA , HD audio, AGP 8X)
I am now running Millennium on a pentium 4 @ 2.6Ghz, 2gb ram and 500gb ATA133 disk. I had to use a 3rd party software solution to format it fat32.
Scandisk and disk defrag is just as slow as a EISA/VLB controlled 256mb WD caviar black on a 486 dx33 due to this capacity 🤣.
But the HD audio is worth noting it does sound good and if the pc has at least double the memory as the video card it doesn't suffer in games.
I have to say if its pentium III and up generation hardware its gonna give Millennium a good name.
Here is a link to my Yamaha XG100 VL Plus recording via xgedit 95 its my reminder retro gaming os only one of many things retro can still do.
https://archive.org/details/686-legacy
There is new life in 9x due to public release of patches so theres incentive to pick up the idea of cabinet chain patching and I am thinking of installing on my 2015 rig but with lack of PCIE I will be stuck with PCI GPU unfortunately and even millennium is better than linux maybe a WINE solution could be made to run firefox instead?
I know i can use probably 3gb of the 32gb i have on it but i can use the rest to load windows into a ramdisk on boot then theres no need for SSD hell it'd just blow them away on benchmarks. The PCI GPU would have lightning fast vcache

Reply 70 of 108, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone else remember when XP was refered to as the ME of NT?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 71 of 108, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't quite remember it being that bad, but yes, XP was plagued with instability at first, and there were also some complaints about UI changes (although they weren't as breaking as those in Vista).

I think you might be on to something here. People tend to forget, but the web remembers. When XP came around, the web was much smaller. You won't find so many articles about the problems people had with XP early on. But you will find tons of articles about the problems people had with Vista (at a point in time when XP was already stable and mature). And so this "XP great Vista crap" thing tends to perpetuate.

Then again... everyone seems to "remember" that WinME is garbage and Win98SE is great, even though that happened before XP. So maybe my theory is incomplete. 🤣

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 72 of 108, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2021-06-17, 08:05:

I don't quite remember it being that bad, but yes, XP was plagued with instability at first, and there were also some complaints about UI changes (although they weren't as breaking as those in Vista).

I think you might be on to something here. People tend to forget, but the web remembers. When XP came around, the web was much smaller. You won't find so many articles about the problems people had with XP early on. But you will find tons of articles about the problems people had with Vista (at a point in time when XP was already stable and mature). And so this "XP great Vista crap" thing tends to perpetuate.

Then again... everyone seems to "remember" that WinME is garbage and Win98SE is great, even though that happened before XP. So maybe my theory is incomplete. 🤣

We must keep educating these young ones that history does tend to repeat it self 😉

Reply 73 of 108, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to statistics, Windows XP really took off in 2003, after SP1 became available.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 74 of 108, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-17, 08:16:

We must keep educating these young ones that history does tend to repeat it self 😉

The people trying out ME now for the first time will never get the full experience since there won't be any update service making a mess of the system, kinda like vista.

edit: their->there

Last edited by weedeewee on 2021-09-02, 12:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 75 of 108, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2021-06-17, 10:51:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-17, 08:16:

The people trying out ME now for the first time will never get the full experience since their won't be any update service making a mess of the system, kinda like vista.

And let us not forget Windows 10...

Reply 76 of 108, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-17, 10:53:

And let us not forget Windows 10...

Agreed,
though I just disable all the possible updates using O&O shutup and gpedit and only sometimes do a complete upgrade to the latest version, download the iso, write to usb and install, preferably without internet connection.
Longest uptime I've had on a win10 machine was over a year. Only reason I had to reboot was that plug'n play somehow crashed, possibly due to swapping external monitors a few times in a too fast succession somehow crashed the ability to detect usb sticks and sd card insertions.
oh well.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 77 of 108, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're going to sacrifice real DOS support, or dual-boot with DOS, then you might as well get 2k or XP.

There is no place in the world for WinME.

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.

Reply 78 of 108, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-20, 14:43:

If you're going to sacrifice real DOS support, or dual-boot with DOS, then you might as well get 2k or XP.

There is no place in the world for WinME.

Doesn't it offer better support for DOS games running inside a Windows v86 environment, compared to an NT-based OS? And yet, more stability than Win9x and slightly more modern Win32 API?

Although I think I've heard that WinME stability suffers when VxD drivers are used, but when using WDM drivers, DOS sound compatibility suffers... So maybe you really cannot get the best of both worlds?

Reply 79 of 108, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ME is fine if you are using it the way Bill wanted you to. It was an attempt by MS to move 9x further away from its 16bit roots with the same gui enhancements found in win 2000.

For retro gaming its not as good as 98se as the vintage hardware support isn't as good and the dos support isn't as good.