VOGONS

Witchaven 2

Topic actions

First post, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

anyone else have this game? if so what are you playing it on? I have had this game since I was a kid, don't remember it being so buggy and temperamental to run. I played it a lot as a kid... I tried running it on DOSBox prior to setting up some retro PCs and had trouble getting it to run, so I just chalked it up to not running well under DOSBox. But know trying to run it either my pentium or P2 400, produces a similar buggy experience. Keyboard inputs seem laggy and delayed, as in you move forward and lift off the key, but you continue to move forward. I don't recall how well it performed for me as a kid, but I don't believe I would have been patient enough to play it like I am currently experiencing for as many hours as I did back then. So hoping I am seeing a compatibility issue that maybe solvable.

Reply 2 of 11, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this game. Tons of issues due to clockspeed. Check https://ettingrinder.youfailit.net/wh-egwhaven.html for tips and the EGwhaven version. It's better but some clockspeed issues remain (turning around in simple levels at warp speed).

YouTube

Reply 3 of 11, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2020-06-03, 14:05:

I have this game. Tons of issues due to clockspeed. Check https://ettingrinder.youfailit.net/wh-egwhaven.html for tips and the EGwhaven version. It's better but some clockspeed issues remain (turning around in simple levels at warp speed).

Very cool resource, thank you! Will read through it and try that unofficial patch. Interesting point on clockspeed. It is not a game that I would have thought would have been impacted. Will have to pull out my pentium machine and try it on it as well. That is after all more in line with the system I used as a kid to play it on... My P2 400 is an unlocked version, will also have to try reducing the multiplier and slow the system down...

Reply 5 of 11, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So using EGWH2 when set to 640x480 results in an error DPMI_mapPhysicalToLinear() failed!

But if I run the normal WH2.exe when set to 640x480, the game runs...

Interestingly it runs fine at 640x480 when ran within Windows and it works in my DOSBox install on my modern PC...

Reply 6 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A

SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-06-03, 23:56:

So using EGWH2 when set to 640x480 results in an error DPMI_mapPhysicalToLinear() failed!

But if I run the normal WH2.exe when set to 640x480, the game runs...

Interestingly it runs fine at 640x480 when ran within Windows and it works in my DOSBox install on my modern PC...

You could try this : http://www.sierrahelp.com/Utilities/DisplayUt … ties/NOLFB.html

My guess is intentionally disabling use of the VESA LFB under Windows, but trying to use it under DOS and somehow failing with your video card .

Maybe there is an issue with your video card's VESA BIOS .

Reply 7 of 11, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On a whim, I tried an older version of DOS4GW and overwrote the one supplied with EGwhaven and I can run in 640x480 mode now...

Version 1.97 (260KB) is what is provided with EGwhaven, I used version 1.95 (249KB)

Last edited by SuperSirLink on 2020-06-04, 01:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 11, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SuperSirLink wrote on 2020-06-04, 01:29:

On a whim, I tried an older version of DOS4GW and overwrote the one supplied with EGwhaven and I can run in 640x480 mode now...

Cool .

You could also try DOS32A , it is an open-source drop-in replacement for DOS4GW.EXE . You can rename it to DOS4GW.EXE , or if DOS4GW.EXE is embedded in the main executable, start the game with dos32a.exe game.exe (where game.exe is the game's executable ).

Reply 9 of 11, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is embedded in the original executable, but in the EGwhaven "patch" there is a standalone version supplied. What is interesting is the newer version works with Witchaven 1...

I saw the NOLFB patch, but saw it was for XP and newer systems... That is what gave me the idea to replace the version of DOS4GW version...

Reply 10 of 11, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great that it works! For me it makes a difference, but I notice it's still sensitive in certain area's. Where it first was slow and felt like having glue under my shoes with running and jumping, it now runs ok, but level complexity can cause some issues. And I think the artwork for Witchaven 2 is higher resolution to accommodate SVGA, might explain why Witchaven 1 runs a bit better.

YouTube

Reply 11 of 11, by SuperSirLink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so far gameplay has been great with EGwhaven... I have found a few very localized places where it slows down. It happens it seems at defined areas and is reproducible. However I am not able to reproduce it in DOSbox...

changing the speed of the CPU or disabling cache doesn't have any impact.