VOGONS

First post, by nwsw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a challenge and could use your help!

I want to run Asheron's Call (private server) through the Thwarg Launcher, but it requires .NET 4.5 to be installed. I currently have XP and 98 on my HDDs, but these are not supported. Is there a lightweight version of Vista/7 that would be able to run on this system and support .NET 4.5? I've tried some of the 'hacks' to fake 4.5 with XP but it's a waste of time IMO.

Pentium II 400mhz
256 MB RAM
AGP 1X MX4000

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 7, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You (or I, if I get the time) ould get the source of the Thwarg Launcher (via github or with a tool that deciphers the executable's IL into C#) and re-target it for .NET 2.0 (I have the .NET 2.0 for Win9X runtime installer, even if it is not distributed by MS anymore) or (more realistically) .NET 4.0 (.NET 4.0 works on XP).

The sources are here : https://github.com/Thwargle/ThwargLauncher

It seems to use WPF, so .NET 4.0 it is !

Of couse, recompiling it for .NET 4.0 may not be possible without some work, but it's worth a try.

Reply 2 of 7, by nwsw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-06-15, 07:05:
You (or I, if I get the time) ould get the source of the Thwarg Launcher (via github or with a tool that deciphers the executabl […]
Show full quote

You (or I, if I get the time) ould get the source of the Thwarg Launcher (via github or with a tool that deciphers the executable's IL into C#) and re-target it for .NET 2.0 (I have the .NET 2.0 for Win9X runtime installer, even if it is not distributed by MS anymore) or (more realistically) .NET 4.0 (.NET 4.0 works on XP).

The sources are here : https://github.com/Thwargle/ThwargLauncher

It seems to use WPF, so .NET 4.0 it is !

Of couse, recompiling it for .NET 4.0 may not be possible without some work, but it's worth a try.

Hmm, I only know JavaScript and Node/Angular. Probably wouldn't cut it for this.

Reply 4 of 7, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

.NET is my bread and butter. But, alas, it had too many .NET 4.5 dependencies to not make it a massive headache. 🙁

It also used a Nuget package (ReactSharp) that was dependant on .NET 4.5 in a way that could not be downgraded without having to replace its newer API with its older one.

Reply 5 of 7, by nwsw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-06-19, 09:13:

.NET is my bread and butter. But, alas, it had too many .NET 4.5 dependencies to not make it a massive headache. 🙁

It also used a Nuget package (ReactSharp) that was dependant on .NET 4.5 in a way that could not be downgraded without having to replace its newer API with its older one.

Sounds like it's not worth its time then. I'll just find a way to run Vista. Thanks!

Reply 6 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that this forum is for old Windows games on *modern* systems. In the future you should ask questions involving old hardware in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers