User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tannerstevo wrote on 2020-06-26, 22:06:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-06-26, 22:04:
Tetrium wrote on 2020-06-26, 10:16:

What exactly is a moaner type? 😜
And wouldn't wanting to moan a lot actually be a good reason to come here and moan? 😜

You'll recognize them the instant you come in contact with them. 😀

OMG they wrecked my system but I do not want to hear that I may be wrong. Moan.
And I hate my Mother.

darry wrote on 2020-06-26, 22:27:

And I hate my Mother.

In other words, it is someone who derives so much pleasure from being able to complain about a problem, that he or she will usually go to great lengths to avoid helping to fix the said problem .

I believe it may be a form of sado-masochistic self-pity . I am not a doctor, though .

I just don't get these people. I mean what's the point?
Suppose there is a virus in it, it would make sense to me to at least warn others about it.

evasive wrote on 2020-06-26, 22:34:

check out TFTS on reddit. you'll find they are usually called Karen.

TFTS?

But in any case, I suppose that this myth of the virus is busted? 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 32, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Technically, it could also be the anti-virus software's fault. Some anti-virus programs will incorrectly flag (older) executables as viruses.

But back to the OP, did it nuke his desktop, or merely freeze it due to some driver/hardware issue?

Reply 22 of 32, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TFTS?

[/quote]

https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/

Reply 23 of 32, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And wouldn't wanting to moan a lot actually be a good reason to come here and moan? 😜

Depends what's causing the moan. Some things just aren't good for general display.

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2020-07-02, 13:40. Edited 1 time in total.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24 of 32, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-07-01, 23:10:

Depends what's causing the moan. Some things just aren't good for general display.

Please change the quote as that wasn't me who posted that.....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 25 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-07-01, 23:10:

True

evasive wrote on 2020-07-01, 20:26:

TFTS?

https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromtechsupport/

Cheers! This is gonna be a fun read! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 32, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2020-07-03, 00:53:

From my experience with Savage4 and 2000 hardware, the instability can feel like a virus....

The first gen Savage3D I had in the 90s was not that stable in Unreal either .

Reply 28 of 32, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In other words, it is someone who derives so much pleasure from being able to complain about a problem, that he or she will usually go to great lengths to avoid helping to fix the said problem .

We had one such guy on a different tech forum once who took it to the extreme. He actually faked a problem, by deliberately changing settings in his video card drivers, then complained about it for several pages. Every advice he rejected with "tried it and it didn't help". When sent diagnostic tools, he replied he could not download the files, or couldn't run them. When people started suspecting foul play and asked for screenshots to help him, he went as far as tampering with his screenshots and erasing some buttons / checkboxes that were supposed to be there, claiming that they weren't there on his system, so he couldn't do this or that. When everything became clear, the moderators gave him the troll of the year award, although given how long that thread had become before the whole thing exploded, it perhaps should have been "troll of the decade".

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 29 of 32, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2020-07-03, 08:00:

We had one such guy on a different tech forum once who took it to the extreme. He actually faked a problem, by deliberately changing settings in his video card drivers, then complained about it for several pages. Every advice he rejected with "tried it and it didn't help". When sent diagnostic tools, he replied he could not download the files, or couldn't run them. When people started suspecting foul play and asked for screenshots to help him, he went as far as tampering with his screenshots and erasing some buttons / checkboxes that were supposed to be there, claiming that they weren't there on his system, so he couldn't do this or that. When everything became clear, the moderators gave him the troll of the year award, although given how long that thread had become before the whole thing exploded, it perhaps should have been "troll of the decade".

WOW!
I never could have imagined something like that was possible. Human behaviour will never cease to amaze me (usually not in a good way).

Reply 30 of 32, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-07-03, 08:48:

WOW!
I never could have imagined something like that was possible. Human behaviour will never cease to amaze me (usually not in a good way).

That story makes me wonder if this troll was the same guy (from Hawaii, goes by a nick of a spiky animal) who posted very detailed information about various computer games on a variety of gaming forums that ultimately turned out to be all bullshit (after some digging and comparing of notes), and who would explode at anyone doubting his "extensive knowledge" and then go on rants that everyone was wrong but he, he knew the truth (even when you presented him with official documentation that said he was wrong). The whole story sounds suspiciously similar to his general behaviour.
Later I discovered the person in question had been uncovered badly on GameFAQs (of all places...) and was known there as "that guy who thinks his fantasies are real but doesn't know shit".

Some people just put the "douche" in douchebag...

Reply 31 of 32, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote on 2020-07-03, 16:48:
That story makes me wonder if this troll was the same guy (from Hawaii, goes by a nick of a spiky animal) who posted very detail […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-07-03, 08:48:

WOW!

That story makes me wonder if this troll was the same guy (from Hawaii, goes by a nick of a spiky animal) who posted very detailed information about various computer games on a variety of gaming forums that ultimately turned out to be all bullshit (after some digging and comparing of notes), and who would explode at anyone doubting his "extensive knowledge" and then go on rants that everyone was wrong but he, he knew the truth (even when you presented him with official documentation that said he was wrong). The whole story sounds suspiciously similar to his general behaviour.
Later I discovered the person in question had been uncovered badly on GameFAQs (of all places...) and was known there as "that guy who thinks his fantasies are real but doesn't know shit".

Some people just put the "douche" in douchebag...

Having thought about it, I'm starting to consider that this kind of behaviour might be more accurately viewed as a mental health issue rather than simply malice .

Either way, if that online behaviour is in any way indicative of this person's (or people's) real life stance, his personal and professional life likely suffer greatly from it . He may be annoying to others, but he is likely miserable himself, through his own fault and probably does not realize it .

Reply 32 of 32, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What exactly is a moaner type? 😜

And I hate my Mother.

From my experience, it's not that they don't want to hear they may be wrong but generally just want to complain without listening to potential aid. Like in this case, you can offer advice to them directly and ask them to try X, Y and Z but they'll give you the run-around, not actually trying anything, complaining while hoping you'll do all the leg work.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870