VOGONS

First post, by Parni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I have tried to install DOS 6.22 from two different sets of floppy images, the installation goes through OK but when I try to boot to DOS I get the following message after which computer halts --> "adpGeforce Boot Loader V2"

What the heck is this?

unnamed.jpg
Filename
unnamed.jpg
File size
138.84 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you able to boot to DOS from the first DOS installation floppy ?

If so,
a) Make sure the partition you want to boot from is set to active in FDISK
b) Try running fdisk /mbr

Reply 3 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Parni wrote on 2020-06-21, 16:40:

Wow!! It worked! Thanks mate 😀 just out of curiosity what is this Geforce all about? (Refers to Nvidia?) 😁

I truly have no idea. It is probably a leftover from your hard drive's previous life .

Reply 5 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digicube wrote on 2021-02-01, 23:30:

I got this too from a CF card bought on ebay. I guess if I wipe the CF card beforehand, I could have avoided this problem.

Partitioning, formatting and fdisk /mbr should be enough . A full wipe wastes a full drive's worth of flash memory endurance needlessly, in my opinion .

Reply 8 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At some point, nvidia also made chipsets (nforce 4 etc)..
Could be some sort of boot loader that was used to allow restoring stuff from a hidden backup partition (was used for running a recovery tool maybe).
Anyway, these are just ideas.. 🙂

Edit: Next time, you can also wipe track 0, too.
There are several tools, includind S0Kill: Re: IDE to Compact Flash as MS-DOS boot drive.

Fdisk /mbr behaves differently in DOS 6.x/7.x, so it might be not up to the task in some cases.

"People often recommend the undocumented DOS command FDISK /MBR to solve problems with the MBR.
This command however does not rewrite the entire MBR - it just rewrites the boot code,
the first 446 bytes of the MBR, but leaves the 64-byte partition information alone.
Thus, it won't help when the partition table has problems."

Source : https://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partit … es-2.html#ss2.7

Re: Problems with DOMs

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//