VOGONS

First post, by monsterbaldy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My friend and I have tried running KQ5 on quite a few different computers from 486->P3, and no matter what system we use the game hard crashes after some time and it seems related to the wav audio. In discussing/troubleshooting we found out that both of us are trying to use the Roberta Williams Collection version of the game... I'm going to try and compare with other more legitimate DOS versions but thought I'd check if anyone had any experience with this here. KQ6 also seems to suffer the same way.

Reply 1 of 8, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never had either of those games crash on me. I can't speak to your specific version but it sounds to me like a sound configuration issue. Were all the test runs installed and configured the same way? If so I would double check my assumptions about IRQ.

Reply 3 of 8, by monsterbaldy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Absolutely no hardware re-used between systems, all using different sound cards. I tried KQ6 CD instead of what is on the Roberta Williams anthology and had the same issue. Really weird. I think it will work fine if I don't do soundblaster, and I'd say it's a system speed issue except the 486 also has issues. Not sure what to try next.

Reply 6 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do remember certain Sierra games crashing due to game bugs, but these would normally be fixed with patches from Sierra.
I don't remember KQ5 having many issues however.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 8, by monsterbaldy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My friend fixed KQ6, which was having identical issues, using this:

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2016/12/d … ames-kings.html

I am fairly sure I'll be able to fix KQ5 the same way.

-ben