VOGONS

First post, by vileboss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! New to the forum but long time lurker.

I've been working on two different P3 era Windows 98 machines recently. Both of them exhibit this same curiosity.

If you eject the CD by the physical button, and replace the cd, Windows will act like the old disk is still in the drive.

It won't update - so if you double click the drive to see the contents, you will get an error, and if you were working in a DOS prompt, DIR will show the old contents still - or give an error.

I'm not sure what to search for, but just wondering if anyone has seen this and knows of a solution? If you right click the drive in windows and click Eject, it works though.

Odd.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 9, by zPacKRat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

more info is needed, you say 2 different systems, but what if any hardware is shared between the 2, what motherboards as well. Point being if you're using the same cd or dvd drive on both then that could be the issue, also if the chipsets were released post 98/98se release do you have the correct drivers installed.

Reply 4 of 9, by vileboss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the lack of information. System 1 that I am mainly using

Unknown brand slot1 motherboard
Pentium 3 600mhz - 320mb ram
IDE DVD-RW on primary IDE
16GB CF-> IDE on secondary IDE
Windows 98SE with Autopatcher 2007 and 2008 update installed
VIA chipset drivers installed

On that system I did have an 80GB Seagate IDE drive, Same setup without the autopatcher updates, and I did have MSCDEX set up because I was booting into DOS with a menu to boot windows later if I wasn't going to play games.
I started fresh because that HDD got the tick of death. I don't have a dedicated DOS setup now, I had installed Win98 right after a fresh format and sys c:. I didn't copy any other files from the startup disk.

The other machine is bone stock original hardware / factory installed OS - Packard Bell Aloh@ 5860i
Windows ME
256mb RAM
700mhz Celeron Socket 370
40GB IDE HDD
DVD ROM

I switched out the 40GB for another CF adapter, installed 98SE, Installed Intel chipset drivers first (otherwise couldn't install onboard intel graphics)
exhibited the same thing, push the button and the cd rom will eject but windows didn't see the change. You can 'eject' from windows with nothing in the drive and it will free it up.

I put the factory Windows ME HDD back in that PC and it doesn't do it in ME.

The main pentium3 machine doesn't have any burning software installed yet, or daemontools or anything of the sort. It's possible something that was installed in the updates is causing this too I suppose, but I wouldn't even know where to start besides do a fresh install and don't update anything and see if it still does it.

I did try another DVD rom in there and it exhibits the same behavior. I don't have any plain jane CD rom drives to try, it might even be a DVD bug.

Sorry my post is all over the place.

Reply 5 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vileboss wrote on 2020-07-11, 12:13:

Windows 98SE with Autopatcher 2007 and 2008 update installed

Any unofficial Win98 "update pack" tends to cause trouble.They are also generally useless.

Do a clean install of Win98SE and you won't have the issue.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vileboss wrote on 2020-07-11, 12:13:

It's possible something that was installed in the updates is causing this too I suppose, but I wouldn't even know where to start

Things that end up in the registry keys for "lowerfilters" and "upperfilters" have been known to wreak havoc. It's been ages since I poked at those, but Google should know more.

Reply 9 of 9, by vileboss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reinstall with no updates - Just Chipset/Graphics/Sound drivers and DirectX9. CD Rom working as intended again. I'm going to shy away from installing anything but games here on out. 😀 Appreciate the suggestions!

If it happens again I will read into lowerfilters and upperfilters and see what I can gather.

Thanks all!