Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-07-12, 21:51:
mothergoose729 wrote on 2020-07-12, 17:23:
(I realized that my google doc was restricted earlier, sorry about that). […]
Show full quote
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-07-12, 09:07:
thank you very much! looking on the internet I discovered some interesting things about hardware which is the critical part: […]
Show full quote

thank you very much! looking on the internet I discovered some interesting things about hardware which is the critical part:

1) the CPU can be changed with a NECv20 which is faster and the clock generator can be changed by bringing the CPU to 8mhz.

2) IBM provides both the CGA card and the EGA for this computer. The latter has the possibility of being connected to the original CGA 5153 color monitor without the need to purchase an expensive 5154 EGA monitor.

3) the doubt remains on the amount of usable ram and on the effective power of the NECv20 at 8mhz together with the EGA card. Obviously all the changes are not invasive and satisfy the period-correct philosophy

(I realized that my google doc was restricted earlier, sorry about that).

The NECv20 can be a good upgrade, but it depends on the games you are trying to play. There are lots of games that will run too fast on anything other than an 8088 @4.77mhz., but it will help a little with games like Space Quest I & II and a few late XT/286 era titles.

EGA monitors are basically impossible to find, and the number of EGA games that you would want to run on an 5150 is pretty small. I would do CGA or get an 8 bit VGA card instead.

I don't think RAM will be a problem. If you have 640k or 550k or whatever you have as much as you can use on that platform anyway.

Explain better: "I would do CGA or get an 8 bit VGA card instead."

VGA can play all game made for CGA, EGA, VGA without the needs of using CGA or EGA monitor? It use regular vga monitor?

Compatibility won't be perfect, but yes. I have a trident 9000 integrated in my Monotech XT board and it works pretty well for a lot of games.

Otherwise, you can get a good CGA/EGA to VGA scaler/converter. Monotech and a few other folks sell little boxes for that purpose.

Reply 26 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mothergoose729 wrote:

Compatibility won't be perfect, but yes. I have a trident 9000 integrated in my Monotech XT board and it works pretty well for a lot of games.

I'm speaking under correction, but the Trident 8900 had a mode utility to enter Hercules, EGA and CGA emulation mode, respectively.
Maybe it will still work on the 9000 line.
In emulation mode, a VGA card will mimic the behavior of each graphics standard more faithfully, especially the CGA palettes.

CGA Compatibility Tester vs. VGA cards

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 27 of 28, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-07-13, 14:55:
I'm speaking under correction, but the Trident 8900 had a mode utility to enter Hercules, EGA and CGA emulation mode, respective […]
Show full quote
mothergoose729 wrote:

I'm speaking under correction, but the Trident 8900 had a mode utility to enter Hercules, EGA and CGA emulation mode, respectively.
Maybe it will still work on the 9000 line.
In emulation mode, a VGA card will mimic the behavior of each graphics standard more faithfully, especially the CGA palettes.

CGA Compatibility Tester vs. VGA cards

Neat, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Reply 28 of 28, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what about "ATI VGA Wonder 16"? It seems to work in any standard video md-hercules-cga-ega-vga in a md monitor 9pin ora in a 15pin vga modern monitor... it is a all around total card for an ibm 5150?