VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I was thinking about the 3dmark06 benchmark and how good its graphic still is nowdays and how much heavy it is even with low end cards sold many years later than the bench itself. It's impressive that was a Dx9 benchmark. Beside the good graphic and music, together with the previous version, do they still impress you nowdays compared to other bench or modern games?
Your opinions on that bench/graphic/directx generation?
Thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think some of the tests were re used from 3dm05 and ran a lot slower
but it looks good, just not really impressive compared to modern games I don't think, still not too bad, impressive for the time no doubt.

still I think it aged a lot better than 3dmark vantage.

Reply 2 of 7, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hell 3DMark 2001's Nature scene looks good and must have been mindblowing at the time. It's on par with Oblivion and xbox 360 era graphics.

Edit - OK I'm remembering that quite wrong, looks good but nowhere near Oblivion.

j4cYAnKh.png
(that's 1440p with 2xAA downscaled to whatever low resolution

BCZ5LWkh.jpg

bz1KSHth.jpg

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 3 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3dm06's CPU test is super ugly though. 3dm03 aged a bit badly for those tacky ragdoll tests. 3dm01's my favorite though for the strong scene variety and good particles and doesn't filler time with useless bumpmap feature tests (though, point sprites horse is pretty useless)

Dunno if FutureMark/MadOnion had advance Geforce3 or DX8 access, 3dm01's also one of the earliest pixel shader stuff ever publicly released.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 7, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SPBHM wrote on 2020-08-23, 18:04:

I think some of the tests were re used from 3dm05 and ran a lot slower
but it looks good, just not really impressive compared to modern games I don't think, still not too bad, impressive for the time no doubt.

still I think it aged a lot better than 3dmark vantage.

There were differences but mostly similar and a new final test too. It sure was heavier than 3dmark05 more than expected but the way it push the dx9.0c with adding light effects everywhere (maybe too much...😁) it was great. I prefer somehow the 05 version too because the Firefly Forest test was groundbreaking for me when I first launched it with the background emotional music and the moon light effects.. it sure had some sort of "sad" feeling along with an impressive and heavy graphic. By that time I understood the Radeon 9700 wasn't simply enough.

3DMark2000 is the one I've launched the more times I can't even count them. 3DMark2001 was great for the nature test, but I could not see that test in real time probably until 2003 more or less.. who could afford a pixel shader gpu back in its time (I couldn't). But sure the water of the nature test was amazing.

Reply 7 of 7, by Squall Leonhart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the hardware is irrelevant, turns out that somethings wrong with the availability of 640x480 modes on windows and certain tv's that requires DSR disabled and the addition of a custom 59hz resolution so that the tv supported reported 60hz mode actually shows up