Win10 Ryzen 7 5800X | TUF B450M-Pro | 32GB DDR4-3800 CL16 | RX 6800 XT
WinXP Core i3-3220 | H77 Pro4-M | 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | X1950 Pro
Win98SE Pentium E5800 | 775i65G R3.0 | 512MB DDR1-400 CL2 | X850 XT

Reply 21 of 31, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows XP source code has been leaked online.
https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/09/25/wind … rce-code-leaks/

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 22 of 31, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but for anyone still running XP, there is such a thing as Microsoft EMET. Also available for Win7. Somehow I never saw all the "XP is unsafe, don't go online" scaremongers mention that tool.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 23 of 31, by Hanamichi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GokuSS4 wrote on 2020-09-13, 21:45:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

I've been searching a lot for this, trying to understand how this is even possible: Intel Core i9-10900K Overclocking Record with Liquid Helium

Here it is:

Backported Drivers ACPI 2.0+ - Patched drivers to workaround STOP 0xA5 errors related to new ACPI standards
WinXPPAE v2 - Patches kernel and hal files to enable PAE (Physical Address Extension)
USB3/XHCI (generic) driver by MOV AX, 0xDEAD - Backported from Windows 8, requires the Kernel Mode Driver Framework 1.11 to be installed first. Includes UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol) support. Multilingual INF file.

This allows to use more than 4GB RAM, modern CPUs including Ryzen and USB3 on Windows XP.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/driv … hardware.81607/

There exists a "Optional Patch Integrator script" that helps to include this Drivers to your own XP.iso

Thanks for this, I am hoping to build a highend overkill dual boot XP system. So you have already made my checklist to reference.

I know the EVGA Z390 Kingpin is XP friendly for the overclockers to set records. Also some ASUS boards can do it, especially the top ROG board as in the video.

No one has succeded getting XP with ACPI working on a X299 system yet sadly, going to give it a shot!

Reply 24 of 31, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, you can install XP on any intel system with ACPI patches. There are text drivers you can streamline into your image and then boot with USB.

There doesn't' seem to be an equivalent thing for AMD boards yet, although I believe AMD support legacy IDE mode for longer than intel did, which also works albeit at some cost to performance.

https://www.win-raid.com/t11f23-Modded-Intel- … lly-signed.html

Reply 25 of 31, by GokuSS4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, there is a script, that include these acpi.sys in your XP iso

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Optional+P … rator+script%22

Reply 26 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Either on win-raid or mydigitallife there is talk of using the leaked source to fix acpi.sys so expect those types of links to be deleted here.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 27 of 31, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote on 2020-10-22, 18:16:

Either on win-raid or mydigitallife there is talk of using the leaked source to fix acpi.sys so expect those types of links to be deleted here.

It looks like it is going to get difficult to draw the line between legitimate, cleanly reverse engineered patches and those tainted by the use of ill-begotten (leaked) source code/knowledge .

I mean, if someone new, along the lines of rloew, came along today and started providing new patches for older OSes, how would we legitimately know whether they are above board (not benefiting from leaks) or not ?

I am no legal expert, though I can't imagine how this mess can be handled safely other than by disallowing discussion of or links to patches than cannot be conclusively proven to predate the leaks .

Reply 28 of 31, by GokuSS4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

daniel_k updated his Tool:

WinXPPAE v3:

- WinXPPAE v3
* Fixed setting of all memory size variables.
* Added option to set custom memory limits, in MB (megabytes) or GB (gigabytes), from 4GB to 128GB.
* Fixed crashes when using patched HAL with unpatched Kernel
* Fixed 64-bit addressing being enabled when less than 4GB is available, related to fix above.
* Removed the /4GB option as it didn't work properly.
* Removed useless patching of non-PAE Kernels (ntkrnlmp.exe and ntoskrnl.exe).

https://www.win-raid.com/t4035f45-Windows-XP- … .html#msg137159

Reply 29 of 31, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-10-22, 20:38:

It looks like it is going to get difficult to draw the line between legitimate, cleanly reverse engineered patches and those tainted by the use of ill-begotten (leaked) source code/knowledge .

There is little difference. The Windows EULA already disallows disassembly and reverse engineering. Whether someone saw some clipping of secret source code is a concern for projects like ReactOS that are trying to do a cleanroom reimplementation. Patches and extensions face different issues (ie. bigger and easier to prove in court if it were to come to it).

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 30 of 31, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bakemono wrote on 2021-02-12, 10:45:
darry wrote on 2020-10-22, 20:38:

There is little difference. The Windows EULA already disallows disassembly and reverse engineering. Whether someone saw some clipping of secret source code is a concern for projects like ReactOS that are trying to do a cleanroom reimplementation. Patches and extensions face different issues (ie. bigger and easier to prove in court if it were to come to it).

I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that an EULA is not law, it's a contractual agreement whose terms may not always all be enforceable, depending on the laws of a given jurisdiction.

Obviously, projects like Reactos face the biggest headaches. Patches face a similar challenge, but for them it is likely much harder to prove that tainted knowledgeable was used, but there is the ethical question of potentially having benefitted from stolen IP. I guess we have no choice but to live with the presumption that new patches were written without benefitting from the leaks, unless there are obvious indications, because how are we to know otherwise ? Or is it better to assume the opposite to play it safe ?

Reply 31 of 31, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2020-09-14, 11:07:

I wouldn't advise to use XP to browse the web for prolonged periods of time, for sure. For security reasons, and others. It's not even a pleasant experience with all the mainstream browsers having dropped support.

I see no any difference browsing with XP than any other (modern) system. there are weekly browser updates for example, here:

http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/

plus there is "360 Chrome Browser", which is using latest Chrome engine, but it's Chinese port of it to XP. There are 3rd party patches for "360 Chrome Browser" to remove all the spyware the Chinese included. In any way, because it's Chinese, the people who made those patches were very paranoid to make sure it's totally secure, i.e. it was carefully audited for secuirty.

As far as XP security is concerned - POSReady patches (that were made until August 2020) solve that - I mean if it's secure for countless number of ATMs and POS terminals, then it's secure for me too.

Last, but not least, even with the latest official Firefox for XP version 52.9, it's very hard job to find website it cannot open. Same for the latest official Chrome for XP, version 49.0.2623.112, even Youtube is still working with that now ancient browser. The only catch with Chrome for XP is that it downloads and installs the certificates during its installation and Google removed that link. So, you need to make sure to update the certificates in your WinXP installation manually.