VOGONS

First post, by egbertjan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to install The Need for Speed: Special Edition on my msdos 6.22 pc. I get the following qemm error when I try to start the setup. Who knows what I can do about this?

qemm.jpg
Filename
qemm.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I am running qemm 8.0 on my pc. If I remove qemm 8, The Need for Speed: Special Edition works fine. I would like to play The Need for Speed: Special Edition and run qemm 8.0. Without qemm 8.0 my dos games won't work that don't use dos4gw yet.

With 9 qemm I have the same problem

This is in my pc
Processor: Pentium 1 socket 7 233MHZ MMX
Memory: 1x 32mb SD-RAM
Graphics: S3 VIRGE DX 2mb EDO (FASTWARE VC963C-3D) PCI
Motherboard: FIC VA-502 socket 7
Sound Card: Creative Soundblaster AWE64 Gold ISA
Network card: Intel EtherExpress 16TP Lan Adapter 10mbit ISA
Hard drive: StarTech IDE to SATA Hard Drive or Optical Drive Adapter with ssd Transcend Ts32Gssd370S

Reply 1 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
egbertjan wrote on 2020-10-20, 21:15:
I want to install The Need for Speed: Special Edition on my msdos 6.22 pc. I get the following qemm error when I try to start th […]
Show full quote

I want to install The Need for Speed: Special Edition on my msdos 6.22 pc. I get the following qemm error when I try to start the setup. Who knows what I can do about this?

qemm.jpg

I am running qemm 8.0 on my pc. If I remove qemm 8, The Need for Speed: Special Edition works fine. I would like to play The Need for Speed: Special Edition and run qemm 8.0. Without qemm 8.0 my dos games won't work that don't use dos4gw yet.

With 9 qemm I have the same problem

This is in my pc
Processor: Pentium 1 socket 7 233MHZ MMX
Memory: 1x 32mb SD-RAM
Graphics: S3 VIRGE DX 2mb EDO (FASTWARE VC963C-3D) PCI
Motherboard: FIC VA-502 socket 7
Sound Card: Creative Soundblaster AWE64 Gold ISA
Network card: Intel EtherExpress 16TP Lan Adapter 10mbit ISA
Hard drive: StarTech IDE to SATA Hard Drive or Optical Drive Adapter with ssd Transcend Ts32Gssd370S

While not a fix for your issue (there likely isn't one, unfortunately), a workaround would be to create a bootmenu in DOS (possible since DOS 6.0) with a configuration that does not load QEMM .
Certain games do not like certain memory managers. Some games will not work with any expanded memory manager loaded, even EMM386.EXE (Comanche: Maximum Overkill , for example) .

Reply 2 of 2, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2020-10-20, 21:30:

Certain games do not like certain memory managers. Some games will not work with any expanded memory manager loaded, even EMM386.EXE (Comanche: Maximum Overkill , for example) .

It's for this reason that I would recommend setting up a boot menu configuration so that you can boot with a different configuration, depending on the particular game that you wish to play.