VOGONS

First post, by mxthunder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone ever see this behavior before? Route adonf - the bridge in the village towards the beginning of the track? Creepy black shadows going across. I only see this when using my voodoo 3, not using d3d or nvidia hardware.

https://youtu.be/n_F2D55ouLo

Reply 1 of 6, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mxthunder wrote on 2020-11-11, 16:43:

Anyone ever see this behavior before? Route adonf - the bridge in the village towards the beginning of the track? Creepy black shadows going across. I only see this when using my voodoo 3, not using d3d or nvidia hardware.

https://youtu.be/n_F2D55ouLo

Haha, weird.
Not a big deal though.
I guess you´ve already tried different driver versions to see if the issue persists, no matter which driver. Are you using the reference ones (1.07.00-WHQL) ?

I might try to replicate it with a Voodoo 3 2000 + PII 450 later at home.

Reply 3 of 6, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It recenttly happened to me, something similar with Star Wars Rogue Squadron. Even when the game has native support for Glide, it looked bad, graphic glithces, all written dialogues looked broken.
It turns out there´s an specific patch that fix it. After I applied it, it looks just fine now. It seems this happens with Banshee and Voodoo3, not with Voodoo2.

Maybe there´s a patch back in the day for NFS High Stakes to deal with graphic corruption, that we don´t remember now.
Still, I will try NFS High Stakes when at home and let you know (I use 1.07.00-WHQL).

Last edited by Con 2 botones on 2020-11-12, 16:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, yes. It is there...that sinister cultist cube over the third bridge:

cube1.jpg

cube2.jpg

cubo3.jpg

Sorry for the image quality.

Now, this probably is not the exact same version of the game as yours (since this one is in Spanish).
The drivers used are the latest reference mentioned in an earlier post.

I wonder what kind of element is that dark cube supposed to be when the game is run as it was meant to, without this glitch.
It couldn´t be a person running over the bridge, for instance, since this cube movement repeats over and over, from left to right.
To find out, we should remove the Voodoo3 and try with another card in DirectX or OpenGl mode (whichever the game supports as an alternative)...

Reply 5 of 6, by mxthunder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested this with an nvidia card in direct3d mode... there was no shape, object, shadow, etc to speak of. Its like this black box is come kind of "voodoo ghost" 😀

Thanks for testing - glad to know its not just me!

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just tried with my Banshee running reference drivers 1.04.00 both at 800x600 and 1024x768, Same black box haunts my bridge as well!
Great now I'm not going to be able to un-see that every time I play 😜
I'll try my V2 rig once its all back together (be a while though if anyone wants to try beforehand)