Windows 98 and DOS Question

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by Grayshazzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grayshazzle wrote on 2020-11-26, 07:55:
Jorpho wrote on 2020-11-26, 06:37:
As noted above, it is a self-extracting archive. The easiest thing to do would be to just open it with 7zip and copy the files […]
Show full quote
Grayshazzle wrote on 2020-11-26, 06:21:

Actually I just checked out the torrent file and there doesn't seem to be anything but just olddos.exe, just that one file? Thanks.

As noted above, it is a self-extracting archive. The easiest thing to do would be to just open it with 7zip and copy the files where they need to go. Or just copy olddos.exe to an empty directory on your DOS computer and run it, and it will unzip itself.

Grayshazzle wrote on 2020-11-26, 06:22:

for the CuteMouse directories, do I only need the bin folder and not doc or source, those are not needed I am pretty sure

What else do you think you would do with them?

Delete 😒 maybe

Sorry I meant for CuteMouse 🤣.

Reply 21 of 23, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grayshazzle wrote on 2020-11-26, 08:12:
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-26, 06:32:

Might want to search for Phil's msdos stater pack.

Sadly only for pure DOS, I am using the Windows 98 built-in one 🙁 I rather keep it simple honestly but thank you.

Win98s built in DOS is just as pure as any other DOS, and the starter pack with it works just fine or with a little tweaking. All you probably want to do is add a menu item for Win98.

Reply 22 of 23, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grayshazzle wrote on 2020-11-26, 06:22:

Also another question, for the CuteMouse directories, do I only need the bin folder and not doc or source, those are not needed I am pretty sure, it seems that the bin has the important stuff like ctmouse.exe and a couple .com files.

You don't even need the folder, just ctmouse.exe the rest is more for troubleshooting or other languages

As per the files.list in the doc file
ctmouse.exe - CuteMouse driver executable with English messages
ctmdebug.exe - CuteMouse driver which shows PS/2 debug messages
ctm-*.exe - CuteMouse driver executables in other languages
comtest.com - utility to detect COM ports, executable
mousetst.com - mouse test example executable
protocol.com - protocol analyzer executable

As for booting into dos from a 9x machine I find creating a shortcut to c:\windows\command.com then in the Program Tab, specifying a MS-DOS configuration works best. Leaves windows default config alone.
a basic setup will look like this
config.sys
dos=high, umb
files=60
device=c:\windows\himem.sys
devicehigh=c:\windows\emm386.exe

autoexec.bat
set path=c:\windows; c:\windows\command
c:\drivers\ctmouse.exe (or where ever you copy the file to)

Note this is not optimised at all, just a plain starting point. also if you do go with the shortcut method it's important to always modify autoexec/config.sys settings from within the shortcut.
otherwise it'll override the files used to start up windows GUI mode, oh and to go back to GUI mode just type exit.

Personally I don't see the need for complicating things with olddos. yes it's help is much better then dos 7, but these days its just as easy to ask google and the missing commands aren't necessary for a games rig.

Reply 23 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grayshazzle wrote on 2020-11-26, 08:11:

Wait so is this file for the Windows 98 version of dos, not pure dos, I am not installing pure. Also if I overwrite the files with the ones you sent me, isn't there a chance that I won't get the FAT32 support since some of the files are 6.22?

olddos.exe is just a bunch of miscellaneous utilities and shouldn't overwrite anything. But as I said, you should expand it in an empty folder just to keep track of things.