VOGONS

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got my Gateway 4SX-33 Running It has the following specs after upgrading:

486 DX4 Overdrive 100MHz
27MB RAM
64k Cache
2GB HDD Using OnTrack Disk Manager
Audician32 type card (unsure exact model but matches what Phil uses)
DreamBlaster S2 connected to WT header
Ehterlink III ISA card
Dos 6.22 and WFW 3.11
WD90C31A-LR 512k video (onboard)

I am using the SimCity 2000 Collection Special Edition CD. I tried the Win 3.11 version from the disk but runs way too slow. Installed the Dos version and I have tried MIDI, SB Compatible, ADLIB, SB Pro, you name it for music. About 30 seconds - 1 minute after starting my city, the music will hang on a note that plays continually. The game still functions, but there are no sound effects either. Should I have any issues with the sound card? I'm not loading anything extravagant on startup outside of the normal CDROM drivers, OPL3SAX installed items for sound card, Microsoft Mouse 9.0 Driver, and whatever WFW 3.11 and Dos 6.22 installed by default I don't think.

Reply 1 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe you have an IRQ conflict?
have you tried using SETYMF instead of the yamaha driver?
T-04YBSC-A, new YMF71x based sound card + SETYMF utility

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Start troubleshooting to eliminate causes:
1) does a similar issue happen with any other games?
2) does it happen with the old CPU?
3) does it happen when you reduce system RAM to 16MB?
4) does it happen when you physically remove the S2 and just use the Audician for FM music?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 7, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got curious and installed a Aztech 2320 and the same DreamBlaster S1 using all the same resources and initialized the car with the Unisound initializer and everything worked perfectly. I may try the Yamaha again using only Unisound and see what happens. But the Aztech card, which is just a Packard Bell sound/modem combo card sound phenomenal surprisingly! I have it SC2K set to MIDI and SB Pro for effects.

Reply 4 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
9646gt wrote on 2020-12-30, 12:42:

I got curious and installed a Aztech 2320 and the same DreamBlaster S1 using all the same resources and initialized the car with the Unisound initializer and everything worked perfectly. I may try the Yamaha again using only Unisound and see what happens. But the Aztech card, which is just a Packard Bell sound/modem combo card sound phenomenal surprisingly! I have it SC2K set to MIDI and SB Pro for effects.

I have one of those Aztechs that was in my Packard Bell and it's got a Yamaha OPL chip on it, so it's not surprising it sounds good. If yours has a wavetable header, then there's really no need for the Yamaha card. Mine didn't, which prompted me to get the Audician. Mine works great with the DreamBlaster daughterboard.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 7, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hwh wrote on 2021-01-01, 10:15:

SimCity 2000 has music?

The demo doesn't, but the full game most definitely does, and it's actually quite unique and memorable.