VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I get really nauseous playing old DOS FPS , specially when playing Hexen.

Is there a fix for these games?

thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
C0deHunter wrote on 2021-02-16, 02:22:

I get really nauseous playing old DOS FPS , specially when playing Hexen.

Is there a fix for these games?

thanks!

Maybe one of the source ports offers some options on that front .

Incidentally, I remember the first time that I saw someone playing Wolfenstein 3D. I got quite nauseous . I was lucky as that was an isolated occurrence, but I remember the unpleasantness . I really feel for you and hope that you find a solution .

Reply 2 of 6, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don´t, but my friend got really nauseous when we played Wolfenstein 3D and Doom on my P3 what is connected to a 65" (I know it looks like Minecraft in steroids, but I like it.)

I think these are the same people that get seasick easily. I have had no problem with that, only on time when I took a 3 day cruise to Sweden, and I was intoxicated and there were like 5 meter waves and a real storm outside. The ship was rocking like a motherf...er.

But yes, only source port.

PS. I really liked Doom gun bobbing, but never liked the Quake back and forth thing, it felt like they took a step back.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 3 of 6, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there was an old trainer which offered to disable that - i believe its a very simple edit, just have to know location - a 1 d table is beinge traversed hence and forth to offer the value of the shift in current frame (i believe so, did not really check myself)

Reply 4 of 6, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for your responses, I am playing these on a real vintage computer, so the source ports are out of the question. But thanks for the comments nonetheless.

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 5 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See if you can get ViTi95, who works on FastDoom, to implement this feature:
FastDoom. A new Doom port for DOS, optimized to be as fast as possible for 386/486 personal computers!

It looks like it may have something to do with player->bob and A_WeaponReady. Haven't actually looked deep enough in the source to figure it out, but it should be doable.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 6, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any medication you can get to counter motion sickness? Failing that, over the years I've read lots of posts from people who suffer from motion sickness when playing fast, first person games, and I've seen various solutions proposed, such as using a higher frame-rate, or altering the field of view (if the game supports a FOV option), but I don't remember if any of these were proven to work with anyone.

Would it help if you played in darkness (aside from the monitor screen, of course), as then your subconscious would be less likely to notice the difference between movement on the screen and the non-movement of everything else in your house (the walls, the keyboard, your desk, etc). Probably won't work, but might be worth a try.