VOGONS

First post, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey people.

I was just thinking about on how I am going to get a mouse to work on Windows 3.1 DOS sessions without trying to load a mouse driver on Autoexec.bat. Well making a startup PIF for cutemouse is not going to help nor for mouse.com... Reasons for I am looking for away to load a mouse from within Windows 3.1 without using Autoexec.bat is that I am trying to avoid certain DOS games from getting a system integrity error... Because even if you don't have a mouse loaded on Autoexec.bat. You still have a cursor you are moving with the mouse on Windows 3.1. But not on DOS session VMs for some strange reason, because Virtual 86 mode has a way for DOS mosue support. I mean if you are using the mouse on Windows 3.1 without having mouse.com already on autoexec.bat, why isn't it being used on DOS sessions when in Windows 3.1? This doesn't make any sense to me... The mouse works when on Windows 3.1 with out having mouse.com or cutemouse loaded on Autoexec.bat and I know that 386 enhanced mode has virtual mouse support through V86 mode, but it does not on DOS sessions? There's something wrong of what I am doing here.

And I don't even know why the virtual mouse drivers on virtual 86 mode aren't making my mouse work on DOS sessions. If you know the problem why virtual 86 mode is not using the virtual mouse emulation, please let me know what I was doing wrong.

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! CuteMouse and Windows aren't exactly best friends..
Maybe try loading MS Mouse v9.x, the package comes with DOS/Win drivers.
And/or enable FastDisk/32-Bit Disk Access and permanent swap file.
That should increase the capabilities of Windows 386 Enhanced-Mode (seamless mouse in windowed DOS sessions).

Attachments

• Filename
    win32bit.zip
    File size
    140.6 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File comment
    Microhouse Windows 32Bit Hard Disk driver for drives larger than 540M
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-03-17, 17:44:
Hi! CuteMouse and Windows aren't exactly best friends.. Maybe try loading MS Mouse v9.x, the package comes with DOS/Win drivers […]
Show full quote

That should increase the capabilities of Windows 386 Enhanced-Mode (seamless mouse in windowed DOS sessions).

So you're saying what the stuff contains in this ZIP file will work?

Reply 3 of 5, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-03-17, 17:44:
Hi! CuteMouse and Windows aren't exactly best friends.. Maybe try loading MS Mouse v9.x, the package comes with DOS/Win drivers […]
Show full quote

Welp, I tried the MS Mouse 9.01 drivers that didn't work still gave me the system integrity error.

Reply 4 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which dos games give you a system integrity error?

Are you trying to run those dos games in windows 3.1 virtual 86 dos mode ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 5, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-03-17, 19:05:

Which dos games give you a system integrity error?

Are you trying to run those dos games in windows 3.1 virtual 86 dos mode ?

Yes and that is Mad dog mcree that is having problems. The DOS port. Busytown runs fine also.