VOGONS

First post, by Leety McLeet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need some help getting this b*****d game working.

So I've installed the 3dfx version, the very version that came with the Righteous 3D that's currently in this particular machine, but it just won't work?

I'm using the latest 3dfx reference drivers, the system is running Win 95 OSR2.5, and other 3dfx-compatible games are working perfectly. MW2, however, only runs the intro video and the menus, both of which are Windowed. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance 😀

Retro Computer Enthusiast!

Reply 1 of 5, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What other 3DFx games are you running? I could be misremembering but didn't MW2 use a Windows app for the movies and menu, but when you played the actual game it was a DOS program? Do any other DOS 3DFx games work for you?

Reply 3 of 5, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Leety McLeet wrote on 2021-05-08, 16:50:

I'm using the latest 3dfx reference drivers

That was the problem, this game isn't supported by any 3Dfx reference driver. Use the latest driver from your card vendor, such as Orchid or Diamond. If your card was bundled with the game, then it will have the proper driver support.

If you are trying to get the game working on other card, not the one it was bundled with, then extract "GLIDE.DLL" and "SST1INIT.DLL" from the card vendor driver package that bundled the game. As long as the card adheres to 3Dfx reference design, they should work, YMMV. AFAICR, the 6MB Canopus Pure3D Voodoo1 does not work.

Reply 4 of 5, by Leety McLeet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Kjliew, I'll try that tomorrow.

I've got the original drivers somewhere. Think they're based on Glide 2.43 😖 Orchid didn't release many updates unlike Diamond unfortunately. As long as they don't cause any of the other games to b0rk or degrade in performance too much I'll be happy. If not, I'll just have to give MW2 a miss for now.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Reply 5 of 5, by Leety McLeet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2021-05-08, 20:31:
Leety McLeet wrote on 2021-05-08, 16:50:

I'm using the latest 3dfx reference drivers

That was the problem, this game isn't supported by any 3Dfx reference driver. Use the latest driver from your card vendor, such as Orchid or Diamond. If your card was bundled with the game, then it will have the proper driver support.

If you are trying to get the game working on other card, not the one it was bundled with, then extract "GLIDE.DLL" and "SST1INIT.DLL" from the card vendor driver package that bundled the game. As long as the card adheres to 3Dfx reference design, they should work, YMMV. AFAICR, the 6MB Canopus Pure3D Voodoo1 does not work.

You were right on the money, kjliew! Seems to be working normally now.

I guess I'll stick with the original Orchid drivers on this machine, keeps it period correct and it's not like I'll be using it for anything post 1997 anyway.

Thanks again. You sir, are a legend 😀