VOGONS

Windows 7 Retro?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 80 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

RiscPC. old ram, 486s etc were cheap then 😀

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 81 of 129, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2021-06-15, 15:48:

I'm trying to think of things from 2009 that could be properly considered retro or vintage; phones with sliding screens and qwerty keyboards? blackberry? Stable economy?*

*admittedly never that stable, but at least there was something for a while pre 2008!

I'd say a Blackberry is retro / vintage... but it looks like pre-Android Blackberries (the real Blackberries) will stop functioning next January. Hard to imagine using a Blackberry offline...

How about a Palm Pre?

Reply 83 of 129, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bZbZbZ wrote on 2021-06-15, 17:27:
gerry wrote on 2021-06-15, 15:48:

I'm trying to think of things from 2009 that could be properly considered retro or vintage; phones with sliding screens and qwerty keyboards? blackberry? Stable economy?*

*admittedly never that stable, but at least there was something for a while pre 2008!

I'd say a Blackberry is retro / vintage... but it looks like pre-Android Blackberries (the real Blackberries) will stop functioning next January. Hard to imagine using a Blackberry offline...

How about a Palm Pre?

i didn't know blackberry's were about to enter EOL

palm pre qualifies, i wonder if there is something like a 'very old phones on new networks' forum somewhere that likes these phones and makes sure they keep on working

Reply 84 of 129, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never thought I'd say this, but Win7 does kinda feel retro these days. I still have an offline Win7 machine at work that I occasionally use to run specific hardware and software. And if I happen to switch to it right after using one of the Win10 or Catalina boxes, then without fail, I immediately start hearing the Beatles' Yesterday in my mind. 😜

it's actually Aero glass of all things that feels the most "retro." To me, at least.

Last edited by Standard Def Steve on 2021-06-16, 06:03. Edited 1 time in total.

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 87 of 129, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2021-06-16, 03:42:
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-15, 09:06:

Here's hoping they bring back a proper start menu (they wont)

Here’s your sneak peek

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/22535123/m … _source=twitter

I'm actually really, really excited about this.

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 88 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't Mickysoft say that Windows 10 was going the veeeeeeeeeeery last version of MS Windows a few years back?

Looks like Cinnamon on this Linux Mint Debian Edition box. With a fancy background image. Oooooo look at those round/curved corners man. Kaaawl dude.

But I guess we all have to get excited about something. Each to their own and all that......

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-06-17, 16:35. Edited 2 times in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 90 of 129, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Live tiles and massive icons gone, I wont miss them.
It's not tooo different to how I've got my pinned shortcuts on the work laptop

Menu.jpg
Filename
Menu.jpg
File size
51.77 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Still looks like you have to scroll though endless shortcuts in the "All Apps" section to see what a new program actually installed which is my major complaint about this style of menu.

Reply 92 of 129, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-16, 08:53:

Live tiles and massive icons gone, I wont miss them.

This is all I've asked for since Windows 8. Thanks the heavens, our prayers have been answered !
So long tiles and wasted space icons,may they burn the asshole of the """designer""" who though of them in the first place, forever !

Reply 99 of 129, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-15, 15:24:
I missed the memo but seems like anything pre millennial is now simply a boomer? But hey we have boomer shooters, why not boomer […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote on 2021-06-15, 11:54:

Seriously, let's stop thinking in years - let's think in generations! 👍

I missed the memo but seems like anything pre millennial is now simply a boomer?
But hey we have boomer shooters, why not boomer OS!

PS I'm not grumpy, its just kids today do everything wrong 😉

Hi, I wasn't thinking about you in particular. 😅
When I said "we", I included myself as well.

What I was refering to: PC technology doesn't always evolve equally fast.
So "years" are not the best unit for measurement; unlike, generations, maybe.
For example: Development of Vista did take a long time, making XP the "current" Windows for about a decade.
In the 80s and 90s, a new Windows was release every 2-3 years.
And in the 90s, in the worst case, a PC could be obsolete after 6 months, even.

But yeah "boomer tech". I mentioned that in my CB radio thread.
That's a term that I've seen quite a few times recently on the interwebs. 🙃
On the other hand, the baby boomer thing was a thing of the 1940s-60s, I heard.
So to my understanding, it applies to technology that was popular or made during their teenage/adult hood. 60s, 70s, 80s, maybe 90s.
Maybe even refers to technology which boomers developed themselves in their 10s/20s/30s etc or which they worked with.

Anyway, the whole generation thing as such allows for a lot of interpretation. 🤣
The transition is also rather smooth, a detail that gets ignored too often.
Like it is with fashion. The spirit/fashion of, say, the 70s didn't end in 01.01.1980, but slowly faded affterwards.
Nevertheless, generations as such exist. It's, however, more about cultural identity than years or genetics. 😉

And the country someone living in also affects him/her/they.
Some people in, say, parts of the eastern Europe experienced western 80s culture in the 90s first time, for example.
And some people can identify themselves with a generation that either predates them or came after them.
It's all relative, thus. That's why social experts are constantly creating new categories, I assume. 🤣

That being said, that's a topic that's very complex.
And it's very hard to turn into absolute numbers.
It could be discussed for weeks or months.

PS: The term "millennial" is also very simplifying (it roughly spans 2,5+ decades).
That would mean that my sisters and me are from the same gen. *shudder*

The culture or zeitgeist in which X, Y, Z grew up was not exactly the same, I assure you.
Just like the 50s and 70s were different eras. Or the 1920s and the 1940s.
While we all do share some similarities and things do overlap,
our childhood in particular may have been very different each.
Thus our mentality and the way we think does drastically vary at times (but sometimes it's the same also - exceptions prove the rule).
What's no big deal for one gen (say, political-incorrect jokes) can be a total no-go for the other.

For my generation, for example, VHS, cassettes, colour tv, telephones with buttons, lcd displays and a chord
as well as light bulbs were common items in daily life, nothing to write home about.

They were around for quite some time when our lifes had started..
Like, to name some timeless stuff you can relate to: floating water (water tap), fridges, toasters, carpets, stairs and coca cola.

Older and newer generations seem to make a big fuss about cassettes, VHS etc, though.
Either, because these were groundbreaking to them back then or because they seem somewhat oldschool, alien to them now (hi, Gen Z).

I thus prefer the term "digital natives", rather, I guess. It's less discriminating and less stereotype IMHO. 😉

I know, this must be hard to understand for older people in general.
The mind increasingly struggles to adapt to new ideas or concepts, thus leading to their rejection.
I do sometimes struggle with it, too. And it's not easy for me to explain. Let me try, though.:

When you're getting older, the perception of time changes.
Everything that happend less than 20 years ago was just "yesterday" and is newfangled.
And "old" is always ten years ahead of yourself. 😉

For other, younger people, though, say at age 14-16, these 20 years are an unbelievable long time frame.
It goes down to a moment in time when they didn't even exist!

That's why I linked the article of that 18 year old dude that recreated the "nostalgic" visuals of the old iOS:

Ten years ago, he was at age 8 and that OS was part of his childhood.
While for us, this was just "yesterday".
Hence, we find that so funny and make fun of it.

All in all its an old story, of course. The ancient greeks surely already had debated over that, I assume.
https://historyhustle.com/2500-years-of-peopl … ger-generation/

What can be our advantage, though, is that we can make ourselves aware of it.
Trying to see with other people's eyes can make use see "the big picture".
The ancient greeks were too arrogant and stubborn, by contrast. 😀

Attachments

• 90s_gens.png
    Filename
    90s_gens.png
    File size
    123.85 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    strangely accurate chart of different childhood years
    File license
    Public domain

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//