VOGONS

Windows 7 Retro?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 60 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-06-11, 16:49:

I can browse fine on an Atom N270, IDK what ppl are doing, need your 7 task bars and Bonzai Buddy or something?

I have one of those set up as well. An EeePC. Sits on the floor mounted behind a 19" LCD monitor with wireless keyboard and mouse. Use it while watching telly with my wife in the sitting room. I made the bracket up myself out of some ali plate I had laying around under the car port. Created a template out of one side of a cardboard cereal box and just made it.

Attachments

• 20210612_050603.jpg
    Filename
    20210612_050603.jpg
    File size
    504.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-06-17, 16:32. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 61 of 129, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote on 2021-06-10, 21:46:

The last time I used it, it bugged me monthly to set up a Micro$oft account, which I refuse to do. Amazingly nobody has managed to find a way to permanently get rid of that reminder without signing up for an M$ account, and there are other reasons why I hate Windows 10. So the maximum Windows version I will ever use is Windows 8.1 with Classic/Open Shell (maybe Windows 10 1809 LTSC at a push).

Mine never bugs me about a Microsoft account. As long as you use Pro, most of the annoyances (including forced updates) can be avoided. Of course if licensing is not an issue, an enterprise LTSC may be even better.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 62 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd just rather avoid it completely thank you.

Lifes too short to get mucking around configuing computers all the time just to get the OS working correctly. And I don't have much of it left.

When script kiddies are doing vertual reality stuff I'm out riding my motorcycles for fun. In the REAL world.

Oh and I'm not a Computer Tech.. Did I mention that?

Attachments

• 20210607_085935.jpg
    Filename
    20210607_085935.jpg
    File size
    618.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20210508_074029.jpg
    Filename
    20210508_074029.jpg
    File size
    617.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20210508_074013.jpg
    Filename
    20210508_074013.jpg
    File size
    576.6 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 64 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RichB93 wrote on 2021-06-11, 18:49:

Huh, I'll have to give Linux another go!

Even if you set up a duel boot or dedicate an older machine to use it . I'd suggest he later until you get use to the directory structure and the way Linux operates as a whole. It's just worth it just for the learning experience IMHO. There's blenty of Linux forums out there to help you along the way. Just ignore the doubting Tomas's and have a go. Live CD/DVDs are handy for learning it as well.

If you don't like that is fine.

If you do like it that is fine also.

Reply 65 of 129, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The thing about Windows 7 IMO is that it's not really all that necessary to use it to run software that won't work in Windows 10. I see a lot of you folks use Windows 7 because you prefer it over Windows 8/8.1/10 which I can certainly appreciate. But generally software that runs in Windows 7 x64 will run in Windows 10 x64.

Windows XP on the other hand is old enough that there are software and games that don't run properly in Windows 10 which do run properly in XP. Additionally, there is some XP-era hardware (eg graphics cards and their corresponding drivers, Creative EAX, etc) which are much better suited to XP-era games than current hardware. So sort of in the same vein (though not as extreme) as Windows 98, it makes sense to use Windows XP on dedicated hardware because such a system can do things that a Ryzen / RTX / Win10 system can't.

Does that mean Windows 7 isn't retro / vintage? Maybe, maybe not... it really depends on how you feel about it. But I would say that the compatibility angle makes it very different than XP, 9x, DOS, etc.

Reply 66 of 129, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-11, 17:45:

Lifes too short to get mucking around configuing computers all the time just to get the OS working correctly.

Unless it's Windows XP, right? 😉 Somehow many of those who criticize Win10 for being 'annoying' and wouldn't spend 5 minutes setting it up right, don't mind spending hours getting crappy old XP to play nice in the modern world. Or Linux!

Maybe not you, though. I fully support spending less time tinkering with PCs and more time having fun in the real world!

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 68 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2021-06-12, 17:05:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-11, 17:45:

Lifes too short to get mucking around configuing computers all the time just to get the OS working correctly.

Unless it's Windows XP, right? 😉 Somehow many of those who criticize Win10 for being 'annoying' and wouldn't spend 5 minutes setting it up right, don't mind spending hours getting crappy old XP to play nice in the modern world. Or Linux!

Maybe not you, though. I fully support spending less time tinkering with PCs and more time having fun in the real world!

See previous post^^^^

Reply 69 of 129, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-06-12, 17:19:

I guess it all comes down to personal experience but I've hardly ever had to spend more than a few minutes getting XP Pro setup and usable on any of my systems. Windows 10 that's a whole other nightmare

It depends a lot on the system in question. Every version of Windows always runs best on contemporary hardware. Getting XP to run on your modern 8th Gen Intel Core system isn't a fun experience, nor is getting Win10 to play nice on an ancient Core 2 Duo laptop.

I really always try to follow the "contemporary hardware" principle. Maybe that's why my experience has been mostly positive with every version of Windows from XP to 10. As far as setting up the software - it is mostly about learning a few 'tricks of the trade'. I often see that when folks that say that some "X" version of Windows is easy, while "Y" version is hard, it basically means that they learned the tricks for X a long time ago and cannot be bothered learning the tricks for Y. Fortunately, today it's really easy to find almost every piece of info online in a few minutes.

Reply 70 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This thread is about Windows 7 I believe. There is a totally separate resent thread on XP.

XP was the last variant of MS Windows I've use on my own personal systems. I don't feel like I've missed out on anything apart from not being able to use the system until updates have finished and it's rebooted. 😉

Reply 71 of 129, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

aannnndddd.... more monkey wrenches go flying.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/12/22530738/n … nd-october-2021

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-d … 10-support-2025

I'll continue with Win 7 64 damnit.

farewell.jpg
Filename
farewell.jpg
File size
32.48 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 72 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2021-06-12, 20:49:
aannnndddd.... more monkey wrenches go flying. […]
Show full quote

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/12/22530738/n … nd-october-2021

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-d … 10-support-2025

I'll continue with Win 7 64 damnit.

farewell.jpg

We need more monkeys on vogons 😀

Reply 73 of 129, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So Windows 10 will outlive Windows 7/8 only for 2 years. Ha!

Also kinda funny how Nvidia both dropping Win7/8 and Kepler chips support, but AMD still have driver support for Radeon 7970. Usually it was backwards.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 74 of 129, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's hoping they bring back a proper start menu (they wont)
And placing bets that in about 5 years time a post will be created asking if Win10 now classify as retro

Reply 75 of 129, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-15, 09:06:

And placing bets that in about 5 years time a post will be created asking if Win10 now classify as retro

maybe someone is right now installing windows 10 1507 or 1511 and saying "yes! so retro!!"

Reply 76 of 129, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerry wrote on 2021-06-15, 09:38:
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-15, 09:06:

maybe someone is right now installing windows 10 1507 or 1511 and saying "yes! so retro!!"

*shudder*

Well, on the other hand.. For very young human beings, 5 years are a lot. And it's not their fault that we became old and grumpy.
When I was programming in QuickBasic at the age of ~7, which was older than me, this application was ancient to me.
For others, its year of release was just "yesterday". Let's just get it - life is relative.

Example: https://www.creativebloq.com/news/iphone-ios-4-2021
"OldOS is a faithful recreation of iOS 4, made by eighteen year-old developer Zane"

Seriously, let's stop thinking in years - let's think in generations! 👍

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 77 of 129, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2021-06-15, 11:54:

I missed the memo but seems like anything pre millennial is now simply a boomer?
But hey we have boomer shooters, why not boomer OS!

PS I'm not grumpy, its just kids today do everything wrong 😉

Reply 78 of 129, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-15, 15:24:
I missed the memo but seems like anything pre millennial is now simply a boomer? But hey we have boomer shooters, why not boomer […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote on 2021-06-15, 11:54:

I missed the memo but seems like anything pre millennial is now simply a boomer?
But hey we have boomer shooters, why not boomer OS!

PS I'm not grumpy, its just kids today do everything wrong 😉

I concur sir!

Reply 79 of 129, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to think of things from 2009 that could be properly considered retro or vintage; phones with sliding screens and qwerty keyboards? blackberry? Stable economy?*

*admittedly never that stable, but at least there was something for a while pre 2008!