VOGONS

First post, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi ..I'm currently building a new win98 PC based around a Dell Dimension tower which was gifted to me..
I have installed Win98se...but wanted to experiment with the unofficial service pack 3 and Kernelex
..but my understanding is that I need to a microsoft unicode layer to achieve this.
..and that the best way to do this is to install all previous Official service packs.
These I dont have of course...and I can't find them on the WWW.
Can anyone help ?
Is there an active link to these SP 1 and 2
rgds
VS

Reply 1 of 12, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's been a few months since I was messing around with it so I could be mistaken, but I thought Unofficial Service Pack 3 contained the official patches already. So you can take a clean install of Win98SE and just patch it up to the latest. I didn't mess with KernelEX so I'm not sure about the Unicode side of things.

But v1.6 of the unofficial patch lists.
- NEW: Microsoft Layer for Unicode.

Reply 3 of 12, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for that scorpio ..
I think Phils lab has the uSP 3 ..
I'll give it a try.
I was interested in KernelEX ...as this allowed a (possible) route to ActiveX 9.0c
I'll be honest ..not sure how this would be achieved ..as the only redistributeable version of 9.0c I can find is just a series of cab files zipped up.
..so not actually an executeable (no idea how to install this)...and would most likely be refused by 98se without the upgrades anyway.
rgds

Reply 4 of 12, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2021-06-13, 14:43:

Or get the 2004 final official update cd from vogonsdrivers.

Cheers buddy ..
I assume its the CD image :-
SCUD.zip
MS Windows Security Update CD February 2004
??

Reply 5 of 12, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

uSP3 has some ActiveX stuff in it, I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for.

Just search for the latest version in the search engine of your choice and the official site should be the first result.

win98 unofficial service pack 3.66

Reply 6 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have fun with the USP3 screwing up a ton of stuff.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had absolutely no issues with USP3 on my one and only Win98(RTM) box until I took it out of service. Also installing it straight after a flesh install would be the best option and after a few years of abuse were the registry and hdd is cluttered with crap.

I would imagine it is like any other OS update. IT'll work on most systems but there is an odd man out that will have problems. This has happened with the majority of OSs I've used over the last 30 plus years.

Goodness it STILL happens with MS Windows 10 and Mac OSX.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 12, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Vipersan wrote on 2021-06-13, 14:53:
Cheers buddy .. I assume its the CD image :- SCUD.zip MS Windows Security Update CD February 2004 ?? […]
Show full quote
kolderman wrote on 2021-06-13, 14:43:

Or get the 2004 final official update cd from vogonsdrivers.

Cheers buddy ..
I assume its the CD image :-
SCUD.zip
MS Windows Security Update CD February 2004
??

Yep that one.

Reply 9 of 12, by cambalinho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the Autopatch is the best update for windows 98 and without so many problems... tested by me: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59559
the Win98toMe is like change the theme to Windows Me and more things.. and the SP3... but will give you so problems and somethings that you can't open...
so thrust on me and use the Autopatch, is the best... and theres 1 DVD for updates between win9x, W2K and WXP: https://archive.org/details/WULOSSE

Reply 10 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cambalinho wrote on 2021-06-13, 20:56:

the Autopatch is the best update for windows 98 and without so many problems... tested by me: https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59559
the Win98toMe is like change the theme to Windows Me and more things.. and the SP3... but will give you so problems and somethings that you can't open...
so thrust on me and use the Autopatch, is the best... and theres 1 DVD for updates between win9x, W2K and WXP: https://archive.org/details/WULOSSE

Thank you for mentioning that.

No doubt it will come in handy when I resurrect my old win98 box in the nexr 6 months or so.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 12 of 12, by cambalinho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

from http://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-mode-tutorials.html
please don't use UMB on config.sys, on 'dos' command... just:
'dos = high'
even so the Warcraft 2, on MS-DOS, can lose the input 🙁
tested... i can see the demo play, but i don't have the input control 🙁
ok.. my laptop have 512MB's of RAM, 1.6GHz of CPU and 64MB's VRAM