VOGONS

First post, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The story so far: I have a Win98 SE virtual machine in VMware on my laptop's Linux partition. I have successfully installed Sound Blaster drivers and gotten the sound working. I have installed Command & Conquer: Red Alert. I used to get an error message saying something about a video buffer, so I tried Aqrit's ddwrapper. That got rid of the video buffer problem but revealed a new one, something about dsound.dll being linked to a missing export. So I said, fuck it, I'll just upgrade DirectX one version at a time until the problem goes away. That got rid of the complaining about dsound.dll but brought back the video buffer problem. So then I decided to replace Aqrit's wrapper with cnc-ddraw, but that required a newer version of Windows.

And I have no idea how much of this is due to being a VM and how much of it I'd have to put up with if I was running on real hardware.

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.

Reply 1 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As has been noted in other threads, running games in VMware in Windows 98 is not a particularly good idea. You would be much better off using DOSBox-X or PCem (or x86Box) for that purpose and would likely not be facing these problems.

(You might face different problems, like slower performance, but probably not so much on the PC you have in your sig.)

I might add that when it comes to a game as popular as C&C Red Alert, there are almost certainly many different ways devised by now to resolve whatever compatibility problems it might have that prevent it from running on Windows 7.

Reply 3 of 10, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zirkoni wrote on 2021-06-26, 06:31:

Since you're running Linux, why not try using Wine?

I did try, years ago. No dice.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 4 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't tried it yet but nyerguds has a patch called "TFD DOS C&C addon" that that'll give you a dos version out of a install of C&C the First Decade. Maybe as it's downgrading from a newer engine so to speak it'll work better?
Paired with all the fixes/added content with the Unofficial patch I rekon this is the best of both worlds (dos and TFD improvements) but I got lazy and just played in XP after picking up a cheap copy of TFD
http://www.nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncst … ff/0_files.html

Also a lot of other patches on that link, for the other versions of C&C/RA maybe one of those will help?

Reply 5 of 10, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-28, 11:19:

That must have been many years ago. That game has been running on Wine flawlessly for quite some time. Several testers have reported a "Platinum level" rating.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sC … version&iId=727

Reply 6 of 10, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote on 2021-06-26, 02:23:

As has been noted in other threads, running games in VMware in Windows 98 is not a particularly good idea. You would be much better off using DOSBox-X or PCem (or x86Box) for that purpose and would likely not be facing these problems.

(You might face different problems, like slower performance, but probably not so much on the PC you have in your sig.)

I might add that when it comes to a game as popular as C&C Red Alert, there are almost certainly many different ways devised by now to resolve whatever compatibility problems it might have that prevent it from running on Windows 7.

Agreed! C&C Red Alert in particular has an official "remaster" from EA that is apparently pretty great. Also C&C Red Alert will install and run in DOSBox.

My PC is capable of running PCem with a Pentium MMX 166 emulated CPU at 100% speed, which is not exactly fast, but a good match for lots of windows 98 games.

Reply 7 of 10, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-28, 11:34:

I haven't tried it yet but nyerguds has a patch called "TFD DOS C&C addon" that that'll give you a dos version out of a install of C&C the First Decade.

I don't have The First Decade. I have the original release.

digger wrote on 2021-06-28, 18:32:

That game has been running on Wine flawlessly for quite some time. Several testers have reported a "Platinum level" rating.

Not on multithread CPUs. And not without downloading DLL files and doing a bunch of other workarounds. And when you get to the "using a half-dozen workarounds" stage, then you've already lost whatever benefits you thought you were going to get by running the game on the OS it was designed for.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 8 of 10, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digger wrote on 2021-06-28, 18:32:
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-28, 11:19:

That must have been many years ago. That game has been running on Wine flawlessly for quite some time. Several testers have reported a "Platinum level" rating.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sC … version&iId=727

Definitely worth another try OP, under the latest versions of Linux and Wine.

We'll be happy to try advising you through any issues you encounter.

Reply 9 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-28, 22:27:

Not on multithread CPUs. And not without downloading DLL files and doing a bunch of other workarounds. And when you get to the "using a half-dozen workarounds" stage, then you've already lost whatever benefits you thought you were going to get by running the game on the OS it was designed for.

I'm confused. If using Wine and VMware both require a bunch of workarounds, but Wine has been proven to work, then isn't Wine the way to go..?

I haven't delved into it much, but surely multithread CPU problems in Linux can be dealt with much like they can in Windows?

Reply 10 of 10, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-06-29, 01:20:
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-28, 22:27:

I'm confused. If using Wine and VMware both require a bunch of workarounds, but Wine has been proven to work, then isn't Wine the way to go..?

I haven't delved into it much, but surely multithread CPU problems in Linux can be dealt with much like they can in Windows?

Any solution based on getting Win98 to work better in a VM will probably be applicable to a few other games that have difficulties running in a Win98 VM. Any solution based on getting Red Alert to work better in WINE won't be applicable to any problems outside of that one use case.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----