VOGONS

First post, by eliasYFGM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there. I have an old PC with a Windows Me installation, but I need to change the keyboard layout inside the DOS prompt. I have a Spanish keyboard but some keys are not correct inside the DOS window because from what I see, it's using the US-style key mappings and there are a few keys which don't work at all because of this.

I know Windows 98 has a command like "keyb" to set the keyboard layout in DOS, but is there something similar that I can use in Me?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 2, by Kalle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

in ME it's done via msconfig. Launch it and click on the "International" tab. There you can select the desired language settings for the DOS prompt, but you also need to delete the paths, leaving only the filenames displayed (i.e. instead of "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys" the field should only display "country.sys", same for ega.cpi and keyboard.sys).
That should do the trick.

Reply 2 of 2, by eliasYFGM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kalle wrote on 2021-07-24, 15:59:

Hi,

in ME it's done via msconfig. Launch it and click on the "International" tab. There you can select the desired language settings for the DOS prompt, but you also need to delete the paths, leaving only the filenames displayed (i.e. instead of "C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys" the field should only display "country.sys", same for ega.cpi and keyboard.sys).
That should do the trick.

Hey, thank you so much! I was finally able to change the layout to a better one. Strangely, it was already set to Spanish, but I tried with another layout and it now works better.