VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's the glide3 driver that supports multi texture....then you will run into "segment fault" but I am not 100% sure about this.
I mostly use v1 and v2 and compare this with the rave-support on Macintosh. (Rage128)

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 21 of 32, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-07-29, 19:10:
Kerr Avon wrote on 2021-07-29, 18:55:
I can't comment on the technical aspects, but I just wanted to say that Unreal and Unreal Tournament are two really great games. […]
Show full quote

I can't comment on the technical aspects, but I just wanted to say that Unreal and Unreal Tournament are two really great games. Even after more than two decades, the original Unreal Tournament (from 1999) is still my favourite PC based arena FPS. Both games have some amazing mods, including hundreds of new levels, new weapons, new gameplay modes, etc.

And when I next play through Unreal, I'm going to be giving this mod/re-balancer a try:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-evolution

I've not played it yet, but it's written by the bloke who wrote the fantastic Deus Ex mod GMDX, so my h opes are high.

It really is a great set of games. UT was (imho) sooooooooo much better than Quake 3 could ever dream of being. Again Q3 is fun but not in the same class, no one flame me!

Agreed. To me, UT was better than Q3 in just about every way. UT had better weapons, better and more varied looking levels, more intelligent bots, more game modes, and I always felt that Quake 3 was just a little too fast, whereas UT was paced just right.

I remember in a magazine at the time, someone said that the only thing Quake 3 did better than Unreal Tournament was that Q3 took less time to load. That summed up exactly how i felt. Yet Quake 3 is the one that seemed to get most mentions on the 'net, in the magazines at the time (well, the British PC gaming magazines, I can't comment on foreign ones), and even nowadays, I see Quake 3 mentioned far more than I see UT mentioned in online discussion.

Unreal just set a whole new expectation of what a FPS could be, and what a 3d game could look and sound like on proper hardware. It was a literal gamechanger, along with Half Life.

Really a great time to be a computer gamer, and consoles of the time were laughably behind.

The late 90s were a fantastic time for first person shooters, with such classics as Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior 3D, Quake 1, 2 and 3, Half-Life, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Alien vs. Predator, System Shock 2, Star Wars: Dark Forces 2, etc, and many of these games had great addon packs released for them 2.

But it's wrong to thing that the consoles didn't have some great first person shooters (both original and PC ports) too. To me, Goldeneye (N64) was and is better than any PC based first person shooter. It was uglier, granted, and had slower gameplay, and lacked the Half-Life style feeling of the game being one long journey, but to me it's more playable, and much more replayable than both Unreal and Half-Life. It's Goldeneye (and Goldeneye's sort of spiritual sequel Perfect Dark) that I replay more than any other first person shooters, despite me having played them for more than two decades.

But it's all down to personal opinion., of course.

Reply 22 of 32, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did someone say Unreal load times? I recall them being no joke back in the day.

Our LAN parties were all about Quake 3. Although in college the variety of UT2K4 sucked me in hard. But vanilla UT had nothing on Q3 for my group. Hard to say why. Personally I always thought Q3 was a snappier more responsive engine. Especially at the time on more constrained hardware. Was just more pleasurable to play from a game feel standpoint.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 23 of 32, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote on 2021-07-29, 22:04:
Agreed. To me, UT was better than Q3 in just about every way. UT had better weapons, better and more varied looking levels, more […]
Show full quote
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-07-29, 19:10:
Kerr Avon wrote on 2021-07-29, 18:55:
I can't comment on the technical aspects, but I just wanted to say that Unreal and Unreal Tournament are two really great games. […]
Show full quote

I can't comment on the technical aspects, but I just wanted to say that Unreal and Unreal Tournament are two really great games. Even after more than two decades, the original Unreal Tournament (from 1999) is still my favourite PC based arena FPS. Both games have some amazing mods, including hundreds of new levels, new weapons, new gameplay modes, etc.

And when I next play through Unreal, I'm going to be giving this mod/re-balancer a try:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-evolution

I've not played it yet, but it's written by the bloke who wrote the fantastic Deus Ex mod GMDX, so my h opes are high.

It really is a great set of games. UT was (imho) sooooooooo much better than Quake 3 could ever dream of being. Again Q3 is fun but not in the same class, no one flame me!

Agreed. To me, UT was better than Q3 in just about every way. UT had better weapons, better and more varied looking levels, more intelligent bots, more game modes, and I always felt that Quake 3 was just a little too fast, whereas UT was paced just right.

I remember in a magazine at the time, someone said that the only thing Quake 3 did better than Unreal Tournament was that Q3 took less time to load. That summed up exactly how i felt. Yet Quake 3 is the one that seemed to get most mentions on the 'net, in the magazines at the time (well, the British PC gaming magazines, I can't comment on foreign ones), and even nowadays, I see Quake 3 mentioned far more than I see UT mentioned in online discussion.

Unreal just set a whole new expectation of what a FPS could be, and what a 3d game could look and sound like on proper hardware. It was a literal gamechanger, along with Half Life.

Really a great time to be a computer gamer, and consoles of the time were laughably behind.

The late 90s were a fantastic time for first person shooters, with such classics as Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior 3D, Quake 1, 2 and 3, Half-Life, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Alien vs. Predator, System Shock 2, Star Wars: Dark Forces 2, etc, and many of these games had great addon packs released for them 2.

But it's wrong to thing that the consoles didn't have some great first person shooters (both original and PC ports) too. To me, Goldeneye (N64) was and is better than any PC based first person shooter. It was uglier, granted, and had slower gameplay, and lacked the Half-Life style feeling of the game being one long journey, but to me it's more playable, and much more replayable than both Unreal and Half-Life. It's Goldeneye (and Goldeneye's sort of spiritual sequel Perfect Dark) that I replay more than any other first person shooters, despite me having played them for more than two decades.

But it's all down to personal opinion., of course.

All opinion of course.

Goldeneye was fun for it's day. Going back and replaying it though for me it doesn't really hold up. And the game runs pretty terrible on it's OG hardware. It was fun to play with two more people split screen style, but it's single player gameplay left a lot to be desired even in it's day. My opinion of course.

Half Life was great. Hardly anything bad to be said about that game other than the same complaints about platforming that can certainly be applied to Unreal as well.

Quake 3 was.....I'm sorry it is cartoonish and silly to me. Also feels like it runs to fast, everything is slip sliding all over the place and you feel like you are either rubberbanding or gliding everywhere.

I know that some people enjoy this as a "challenge" and get all caught up in jump strafing or whatever but to me it all felt and still feels like the devs were trying to hard to make it better than it actually was, I didn't really enjoy it at the time and I still don't really to this day.

UT was just simply in my opinion better in every way. Better environments, better weapons, MUCH better maps and gameplay. Tons of mods could be done even with just the GOTY edition not even counting all the user made maps and modifiers.

There is a reason it is still played today.

I'm sure there are people still playing Q3 as well, but I feel bad for them if they are. There is no comparison.

Reply 24 of 32, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UT99 with S3TC was mindblowing back then. HiresTextures worked with Unreal too and also looked extremely nice on the right gpu. R7000 was fine out of the box. R9200 and up needed a newer OpenGL-patch. https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/al … 157702928362631

Reply 25 of 32, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only Unreal game I ever got into was Klingon Honor Guard, which was the first Unreal game released. It was developed alongside Unreal and shipped before Unreal did, though the game failed because a lot of other FPS (including Unreal) came out and over-shadowed it in sales.

Reply 27 of 32, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2021-07-30, 15:28:

The only Unreal game I ever got into was Klingon Honor Guard, which was the first Unreal game released. It was developed alongside Unreal and shipped before Unreal did, though the game failed because a lot of other FPS (including Unreal) came out and over-shadowed it in sales.

If I'm not mistaken Honor Guard was developed by Microprose and released later in the year. Unreal was obviously Epic Games and was the inaugural title for UE1

Reply 28 of 32, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2021-07-30, 18:00:
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2021-07-30, 15:28:

shipped before Unreal did,

October 15 was far later than May 22.

KHG was released in Europe in early 1998, with a Murica release in late 98. Unreal was released in Summer of 98.

Reply 29 of 32, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2021-07-30, 21:02:

KHG was released in Europe in early 1998, with a Murica release in late 98. Unreal was released in Summer of 98.

The game went gold on September 22, still quite a time after May 22.

(Doing some research, this incorrect release date of FEBRUARY 8 1998 seems to be sitting on the PCGamingWiki and sat there uncorrected for years, and it comes from GameSpy's "Star Track"-ass game profile)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 30 of 32, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UNREAL.EXE 172.4MB 05-28-98 Unreal + 3DFX (c) GT Interactive

╔════════════════════════════════╗
║ Unreal (c) GT Interactive ║
╚════════════════════════════════╝
╔═════════════════════════════╗
╠════════════╦════════════════╣
║ Cracker : Dogfriend ║ Release Date : May 21st, 1998 ║
║ Supplier : Cortex ║ Oper. System : Windows 95 ║
║ Stripper : Cortex ║ Protection : CD Check ║
║ Packager : Rufus ║ Game Type : 3D Shooter ║
╚═════════════════╦═══════════╝
║ P133, 16MB RAM, DirectX 5.0, 450MB HD ║
╚═══════════════════╝

╔════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
║ oOo Release Notes oOo ║
║ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ║
║ Your ship has just crashed on an unknown planet. Your best friend has ║
║ just been eaten by an alien. And all youÆve got is your Automag. This ║
║ canÆt be real, you tell yourself. This can't be real. It's not. It's ║
║ Unreal...the game that rewrites the books on what a 3D-action shooter ║
║ can do. The game that will alter your reality...forever. ║
║ ║
║ Unreal offers a complete world for you to roam -- a world of incredible ║
║ beauty and realism with the most detailed environments ever to grace ║
║ your PC screen. In one seamless flowing world, race across vast outdoor ║
║ and indoor environments, enter enchanting cities, mysterious temples, ║
║ glittering mines, shattered ships, and crystal clear waters. Unreal ║
║ delivers this cutting-edge realism on computers using a Pentium 133 or ║
║ higher. And for those of you lucky enough to have a computer with MMX ║
║ technology or a video accelerator, the Unreal realms will become your ║
║ reality. ║
║ ║
║ Not that it'll be easy: with Unreal's array of fierce new fully ║
║ polygonal enemies stalking your every move, it'll be a struggle just to ║
║ survive. You'll have some help, of course: with an arsenal of ║
║ incredible new weapons at your disposal, you should at least have a ║
║ fighting chance against the Skaarj and their allies. But with over 300 ║
║ frames of animation apiece, and monster AI (that's Artificial ║
║ Intelligence to you) from Steve ("ReaperBot") Polge, your adversaries ║
║ will be smarter, meaner, and more alive than any you've ever faced. ║
║ Which means that just when you think you've got them beat, they'll ║
║ retreat, team up, and take you out later. ║
║ ║
║ They might even be tougher than your friends whe n you take them on in ║
║ multiplayer mode. Of course, home-court advantage always helps, and with ║
║ the Unreal Editor--Unreal's easy to use object-oriented level editor ║
║ they'll be fighting on levels of your own design in no time. Or you'll ║
║ be fighting on theirs. Either way, the Unreal realms are growing... ║
║ ║
║ NOTE: As you have already noticed, this release is a bit on the large ║
║ side and over the 75 disk limit. We have left all sound & music ║
║ in the game as well as all resolutions, etc. We realize a lot of ║
║ people will not want this release due to its size and we welcome ║
║ another group to release it under the 75 disk limit. Our ║
║ apologies for the hassle, but please try to enjoy the game. ║
║ ║
╠════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ oOo Install Notes oOo ║
║ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ║
║ Go into the SYSTEM subdir and run UNREAL.EXE. If it fucks up detecting ║
║ your 3DFX, copy DEFAULT.INI over UNREAL.INI and try again. ║
╚════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
UnReal Cheat Codes:

ALLAMMO - Gives you 999 ammo for all of your guns.
FLY - Lets you fly around.
GHOST - Lets you walk through walls.
WALK - Returns you to walking mode if you are flying or ghosting.
GOD - Makes you invulnerable to all attacks.
INVISIBLE - Turns you invisible.
KILLPAWNS - Kills all monsters.
WALK - Turns off "GHOST" or "FLY".
SLOMO # - Slows or speeds up the game. 1.0 is normal.
SUMMON - Lets you add a weapon or an item to the world. For example:

SUMMON EIGHTBALL
SUMMON FLAKCANNON
SUMMON NALI
SUMMON DISPERSIONPISTOL
SUMMON AUTOMAG
SUMMON STINGER
SUMMON ASMD
SUMMON RAZORJACK
SUMMON GESBIORIFLE
SUMMON RIFLE
SUMMON MINIGUN
SUMMON SKAARJWARRIOR

PLAYERSONLY - Freezes time. Press again to resume time passage.
OPEN MAPNAME - Jump to any map, just enter the name like OPEN DIG.
BEHINDVIEW 1 - Puts you in Tomb Raider style view.
BEHINDVIEW 0 - Resets this.
FLUSH - If you start getting weird garbage graphics on wall textures or creatures,
type this to fix it.

Reply 31 of 32, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2021-07-31, 18:48:

The game went gold on September 22, still quite a time after May 22.

(Doing some research, this incorrect release date of FEBRUARY 8 1998 seems to be sitting on the PCGamingWiki and sat there uncorrected for years, and it comes from GameSpy's "Star Track"-ass game profile)

I still have emails from back then archived away. I preordered KHG from Chips & Bits in mid-October '98 . I don't have any shipping notifications but I emailed them asking about when it would ship and it sounds like the end of October or early November.

And then in mid-1999 I contacted Microprose about how it wouldn't run in D3D on a TNT. They weren't interested in keeping it up to date with Epic's D3D improvements.

Reply 32 of 32, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2021-07-27, 17:09:

Unreal itself however has had many, many rendering changes throughout the history of patches, including GlideDrv. I believe it was around 226 that they synced the renderers with UT 420

In Unreal version 226, including 224v, there is the non-mmx software renderer lighting bug as seen in UT 400 and later (16-bit color depth).