First post, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For an old fashion Operating System you are doing pretty damn well.....😉

Attachments

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 1 of 20, by gordon-creAtive.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu" - Every now and then in computer history (IBM PC, MS-DOS, Intel 8080, NES, etc.) things went quite differently than imagined. Nowadays I'd consider Linux more important than Windows.
(and ironically gnu/hurd became the hobby project).

Reply 3 of 20, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote on 2021-08-26, 14:08:

Everybody needs to stop worrying and trust Microsoft.

haha

Anyway in all fairness... Linux did have its issues with people knowingly committing bad patches.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 6 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Happy Birthday Linux... probably about near the 25th anniversary of me messing around with it... actually I think it was September of '95 I grabbed a book with CD.

If you want to relive those heady days of early development, you can try out ELKS on your XTs and 286es... https://github.com/jbruchon/elks

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 20, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gordon-creAtive.com wrote on 2021-08-26, 08:52:

"just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu" - Every now and then in computer history (IBM PC, MS-DOS, Intel 8080, NES, etc.) things went quite differently than imagined. Nowadays I'd consider Linux more important than Windows.
(and ironically gnu/hurd became the hobby project).

Psychology. The Linux guy knew he was the underdog, the David, the weak one.
And because he knew no one has sympathy for the big players "just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu", he saw his chance.
So he played out his role very well and was successful. The rest is history.

I think he might fit into the category of a "dark empath".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl20Ke2Y58g

That's a person that knows how to use other people's emotions to his/her advantage.
Like an AI, he can fake sympathy without actually being affected by it.
In this respect, I think he's a true mastermind. Kudos.

keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-08-26, 15:48:

"Probably will never support anything but AT hard disks" lmao

Nice.

Ah yes, I remember that. I think that was because the Linux dude hated the Real-Mode BIOS at the time.
SCSI and other HDD types do usually provide their own int13h handlers for BIOS support,
but since Lunux refused to use the BIOS code,
it had to do everything on its own.

That's in stark contrast to Windows (Win 3.x, 9x, NT), DOS and DOS-like systems and OS/2.
They all support the BIOS for HDD access, even if that support is merely intended as a fall-back.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow!

The wheel of alternate reality is at max rpm by the looks of it.....😀

Reply 9 of 20, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I first tried Linux (Debian) circa 2000 because I heard Quake (actually QuakeWorld) ran faster on it. After much annoyance I did eventually get the game working (though I never got sound to work). However, I didn't notice any speed improvement, and soon went back to Windows.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 10 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had not heard of Linux until around 1998/99. I set up an older system solely to muck around with it to see how the directory structure worked etc.. Did a wee bit of compiling and customization stuff, Took me another 5 or so years to go from XP to Linux. I get it the it is not for everyone, but it certainly is fine for my use case.

If I can pick up an old boxed distro at a reasonable price I'll get. It's quite interesting looking how linux evolved over the years. After all it really started off as collaboration of many folk mainly communicating via usenet and irc channels. It's also interesting how it wiped out and took over from the other commercial *NIXs over time.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-08-26, 21:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anders- wrote on 2021-08-26, 21:35:

Linux is a kernel, not an operating system...

Mah. That's just semantics. GNU had no viable kernel so Linux filled the bill.

Has HURD reached version 1 yet?

Reply 14 of 20, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It was a thing for a time in the early 2000s to take old computers, install Linux on them, and turn them into home routers. The arrival of the WRT54G, DG834 and similar devices put an end to this.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 15 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's athread I created a couple of years ago about *NIX computer operating systems Re: *nix software and systems

Reply 17 of 20, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, the last Dx2-66 I had in regular use was doing service as a router from ~2001-2005 with a linux based router distro. Then I moved and picked up a 802.11G router.. the network was using a hub and a straight ethernet WAP prior.

I used to like how Linux was lighter weight, even frigging Lubuntu is a pig now.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 18 of 20, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-26, 23:55:

Yah, the last Dx2-66 I had in regular use was doing service as a router from ~2001-2005 with a linux based router distro. Then I moved and picked up a 802.11G router.. the network was using a hub and a straight ethernet WAP prior.

I used to like how Linux was lighter weight, even frigging Lubuntu is a pig now.

Bunsen Labs lithium 32-bit or 64-bit distro would be a good for starters for a reasonable small installation. The repos are straight Debian. If I want something even lighter I do a Devuan BeoWolf (no systemd) Net install and build up from that. For my daily driver I use Linux Mint Debian Edition.