VOGONS

First post, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi fellow vogons,

i have this slight issue with my machine (an IBM PS/2 30-286 w. 4,6MB ram using a RamPat! plus with 4MB + 1024kb onboard). Basically a bog-standard machine with some expansion.

I use msdos 6.22 on it and i recently installed Windows 3.1 & added the windows 3.11 kernel updates to it (i.e no workgroup of course as this will not work on the 286).

I have a "dual setup" menu in place where i run Dos and Win, where the Dos config allows me to browse the web using Arachne + 3Com Etherlink III packet driver. This part works perfectly.

My issue is with Win 3.1 itself and any kind of Tcp/ip stack. When booting into "Win" mode, i tried to install Winsock ver 2.x as well as 3.x. Both of then gives me an exception on the install.exe already and i wonder why this would be the case??

Plan "B" would then be to install the MS Lan Manager 2.2c to get a Tcp/ip stack that Win 3.11 would recognize, but then this software only have drivers up until the Etherlink II (i.e not III). Is it possible to download something that would enable also the Etherlink III to be selecteable here?

My ultimate goal of course is to run Mosaic on Win 3.11 (assuming IE 2.x or anything else will not work??)

please advice

br

m.

240947144_10158560893033450_3345639234405154102_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=Idl7VwUc0ysAX9Jfy0W&_nc_ht=scontent.farn2-1.fna&oh=fd64a25284075966830765da9d19465f&oe=6133C2DF

Reply 1 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

winpkt is needed with a functioning network card packet driver to be loaded in Dos before Win3.x is started.. It works fine on my 286/12 with TrumpetWinsock 1a with MS Windows 3.1

If your packet driver loads to 0x60 winpkt should be loaded there as well to bind with the packet driver.

Edit: corrected text because I'm old...😉

Attachments

• IMG_20210901_111836.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210901_111836.jpg
    File size
    161.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20210901_110437.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210901_110437.jpg
    File size
    126.78 KiB
    Views
    File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just used something I knew works...

Reply 5 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
my03 wrote on 2021-09-02, 11:03:

Caluser2000,

aha, now i get it. Thank you for this advice. I will definately try this 😀

You'll get there in the end....😉

You can use the ftp and telenet clients fro Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (along with their help files if want to) and use them on the 286 in plain old Win3.x as well.

Reply 6 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember everything got a heck of a lot easier with the updated MS winsock included with IE 2.0, but looks like that's all 386 only https://news.microsoft.com/1996/04/30/microso … or-windows-3-1/

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 39, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-02, 20:00:

I remember everything got a heck of a lot easier with the updated MS winsock included with IE 2.0, but looks like that's all 386 only https://news.microsoft.com/1996/04/30/microso … or-windows-3-1/

Its mostly all 386sx+ unfortunately.

I have very bad luck with anything winsock 3.x or 2.x as they chrash during installation. Searching this subject a bit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winsock) i learned that only a few of the first 2.x releases supported 16-bit. Digging around, i found this site that seems to have a few versions: https://bertola.eu/ftp/winsock.htm?_l=en&_1=1 . Will try the 2.1f out.

Reply 8 of 39, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm... failing hard over here trying to get this 30/286 system (using winsock 2.0b and Mosaic) to work. I have the winpkt driver active (assigned its virtual packet driver properly) and in Win 3.11 (non WFW) trumpet i started and configured according to my lan (gateway, netmask, etc).
Trace shows activity in winsock but mosaic throws a -1 error (sometimes -2) when trying to load protoweb (or any other "safe" site for that matter)

download/file.php?mode=view&id=118359

Attachments

Reply 9 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's gotta be some way it works, I first saw the WWW on a 286-16 in a computer lab in 93 but didn't have anything to do with setting those machines up, nor could poke around on them. However, I have the suspicion it was running on top of Netware, and Vax hosts came into it somewhere, convoluted setup I guess. I believe the browser was Mosaic 0.8 beta or somewhere around there.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great start. What version of Mosaic are you using?

Looks like Ubuntu provides a snap package of Mosaic https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/01/mosaic-browser-linux

Reply 11 of 39, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Caluser2000,

i'm using version 1.0 of Mosaic. This is what i get atm. i tried every possible combination of slip/ppp also and also tried the "neverssl.com" site to be absolutely sure. Same issue.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=118365

download/file.php?mode=view&id=118364

download/file.php?mode=view&id=118363

Attachments

Reply 12 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

try the config portal on your router, just getting the browser to connect to it, even if it looks all screwed up.

Reply 13 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm interesting. It may be a connection negotiation problem. A lot of websites these days have stricter security protocols in place such older Web Browsers are unable to connect to the site.

I'll have a shot on my Zenith 286LP Plus with 8megs of ram later on today. I don't think I ever got a Web Browser running it. IRC, FTP ect work fine in Win3.x and Dos.. As does Arachne in pure Dos as you have noted in your OP. https://hackaday.com/2014/10/23/hackaday-retr … n-the-internet/

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-09-03, 21:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 39, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Switched browser to NN 0.8 (formerly known as Mosaic 😉) and it exploded as well

This time around, i think i'll recognize myself as defeated in this arena. Luckily enough, i have a few 3/486 machines that works rather nicely with tcpip32/wfw and browsers so thats quite ok anyway.

(but yes, i will probably get back to this sooner rather than later). Eons ago, i actually remember using winsock + browsers but that was perhaps on my first 386dx machine at the time...

Attachments

Reply 15 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like I did get an earlier Mosaic going and connected to the internet but the results weren't exactly stallar.

Attachments

• mosaic2_286.JPG
    Filename
    mosaic2_286.JPG
    File size
    54.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • mosiac286.JPG
    Filename
    mosiac286.JPG
    File size
    66.41 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 16 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More friendly to web 1.0 browsers is https://retro.hackaday.com/ ... or http://retro.hackaday.com rather. Auto used https

Reply 17 of 39, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Caluser2000 & BitWrangler,

thx for the input you provide here 😀 Kudos.

But i wonder, besides having the functional packet driver in DOS & WinPkt loaded, what would be required inside Win3.1(1)? When i start up Winsock on Windows, i see that i have an IP adress, etc properly. But when running Mosaic, etc they simply do not work. I assume i would need a network defined inside Win also, right? I have options for Netware and TCS, but thats it. I realise that it sounds rather daft, but i would need the NIC drivers for my actual card here? or?

Reply 18 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have the network defined and tcpip going when winsock loads functions correctly and has an IP addy. It's just that simple. Other applications will work such as an irc client, telnet client and ftp client.

Reply 19 of 39, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now, the only way I've done it, is on 386+ machines in Win3.x and didn't use DOS packet drivers at all, just network card driver, then bound TCP/IP protocol to it, then had some way, Trumpet etc, of setting up the DNS, netmask, default gateway and static IP or DHCP... I do remember at one point I was hand editing config files, but I think that was during a period where I had compuserve diallup v3 or v4 installed and for local TCP/IP I had to mess with what their winsock implementation had set for SLIP.