VOGONS

First post, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This thread is ancient: Re: Pod...
but I´m facing the same problem as Craig.

The game installs fine (full install 3DFX system) but it then won´t launch. No error message, no nothing.
I know for sure it is not the game version, because it works ok in other PII and a PIII of mine.

In this case I´m trying in a K6-2 533mhz, Via MVP4 chipset, directX7.0a
So I´m guessing it may have to do with the hardware (CPU or Chipset)

Have you find the solution?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-09-07, 19:56. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might want the Forcefeedback patch, it is needed for AMD CPUs, from nicode's FTP:

Forcefeedback for D3D-DirectX5 patched POD (d3d5ff-1.zip)
Forcefeedback for 3dfx GLiDE patched POD (3dfxff.zip)

I ran it on AMD K6-2 and also had to configure these:

• 3dfx vsync set to software controlled instead of enabled.
  • game speed running too fast can be patched with gs2_3dfx/gs2_dx5 patch.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 2 of 17, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
svfn wrote on 2021-09-07, 15:51:
You might want the Forcefeedback patch, it is needed for AMD CPUs, from nicode's FTP: […]
Show full quote

You might want the Forcefeedback patch, it is needed for AMD CPUs, from nicode's FTP:

Forcefeedback for D3D-DirectX5 patched POD (d3d5ff-1.zip)
Forcefeedback for 3dfx GLiDE patched POD (3dfxff.zip)

I ran it on AMD K6-2 and also had to configure these:

• 3dfx vsync set to software controlled instead of enabled.
  • game speed running too fast can be patched with gs2_3dfx/gs2_dx5 patch.

Thank you very much! Will try that patch when I arrive home!
By the way, where did you configure the software controlled vsync? Inside game or editing some ini file?
Thanks again svfn!

Reply 3 of 17, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello again @svfn
I pasted the content of the file "3dfxff.zip"you indicated inside the folder where the game is installed and then launched "Wpod3fx". At least the game now launches!...but right after the intro it crashes with the following error message: "One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found".
Sounds like missing dlls...
Thanks again!

Reply 4 of 17, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check your GPU's control panel, I changed vsync options in the 3dfx control panel, depending on what card you use, may not have that option.

Since you are using a 3dfx installation and 3dfxff patch, I am assuming you are using a 3dfx card. Does podx3dfx.exe run?

What CD did you use to install, POD Gold or retail version? the retail version requires additional patching, see step 5 of retail section.

I have found another 3dfx_gsff patch, this one includes the game service updates instead of just forcefeedback, UsePatch.exe to patch the game.

Filename
1997_3dfx_gsff_3dfx_gs.bin.zip
File size
2.56 MiB
Downloads
54 downloads
File license
Public domain
Con 2 botones wrote on 2021-09-08, 04:33:
Hello again @svfn I pasted the content of the file "3dfxff.zip"you indicated inside the folder where the game is installed and […]
Show full quote

Hello again @svfn
I pasted the content of the file "3dfxff.zip"you indicated inside the folder where the game is installed and then launched "Wpod3fx". At least the game now launches!...but right after the intro it crashes with the following error message: "One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found".
Thanks again!

I could not find your the error message from this post: Re: POD doesn't allow me to install the 3Dfx version Maybe DirectX update needed? needs at least DirectX 3.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 5 of 17, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
svfn wrote on 2021-09-08, 11:40:
Check your GPU's control panel, I changed vsync options in the 3dfx control panel, depending on what card you use, may not have […]
Show full quote

Check your GPU's control panel, I changed vsync options in the 3dfx control panel, depending on what card you use, may not have that option.

Since you are using a 3dfx installation and 3dfxff patch, I am assuming you are using a 3dfx card. Does podx3dfx.exe run?

What CD did you use to install, POD Gold or retail version? the retail version requires additional patching, see step 5 of retail section.

I have found another 3dfx_gsff patch, this one includes the game service updates instead of just forcefeedback, UsePatch.exe to patch the game. 1997_3dfx_gsff_3dfx_gs.bin.zip

Con 2 botones wrote on 2021-09-08, 04:33:
Hello again @svfn I pasted the content of the file "3dfxff.zip"you indicated inside the folder where the game is installed and […]
Show full quote

Hello again @svfn
Thanks again!

I could not find your the error message from this post: Re: POD doesn't allow me to install the 3Dfx version Maybe DirectX update needed? needs at least DirectX 3.

Hi!
- I am using latest reference drivers for Voodoo2, there´s no vsync option in the Voodoo control panel, that´s why I asked where to set it (but I guess it can´t be that relevant in terms of making the game launch or not).
- "podx3dfx.exe" does execute, yes, but it happens the same as when "Wpod3fx" is executed (game starts, plays intro and then you receive the mentioned error message).
- DirectX is 7.0a
- I am using POD Gold (same installation media I´ve always used. With Pentium II and III, this same POD version, there is no issues at all, the game just launches and plays correctly.
- I went with the "full install MMX and 3DFX". Also tried the option without MMX, just in case. Same results
- Hardware specs: Compaq Presario 7476 (VIA MVP4 chipset, k6-2 533mhz, 128MB RAM, TnT2 M64 (PCI) + Voodoo2 8MB

I´m at work now, will check the other patch you mentioned, "3dfx_gsff", when I arrive home.

I would not mind making it work with the TnT2 M64 if the 3DFX option continues refusing to cooperate. So if am still unlucky with this other patch you mentioned, then I guess I could try going the D3D route with "d3d5ff-1.zip"

By the way, you are awesome! Thanks again!

Reply 6 of 17, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah ok, you already have the best installation, POD Gold saves some steps and should work nicely on your system, it's the AMD CPU that requires that additional patch.

D3D would need D3D installation and patches I think, not sure about that.

It's been awhile since I've installed POD on a retro PC, I hope that 3dfx_gsff patch works, I think it was the one I used, all the different patches are becoming confusing and the old sites have different ones.

There is a tool that adds control for vsync for Voodoo2 on this page: https://3dfxarchive.com/tools.htm (Voodoo2 Overclocker V1.5), I remembered using 3dfx OverClocking Tab for my V3 too. You might not need it, but it fixed some of the strange issues I had when keyboard keys like Esc don't register ingame and sound effects cut off beginning of race.

Game speed running too fast was fixed with the GS2 patch, or with POD_P4AMD_Patcher for Pentium IV/Athlon cpus.

On MobyGames

Reply 7 of 17, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
svfn wrote on 2021-09-08, 13:21:
Ah ok, you already have the best installation, POD Gold saves some steps and should work nicely on your system, it's the AMD CPU […]
Show full quote

Ah ok, you already have the best installation, POD Gold saves some steps and should work nicely on your system, it's the AMD CPU that requires that additional patch.

D3D would need D3D installation and patches I think, not sure about that.

It's been awhile since I've installed POD on a retro PC, I hope that 3dfx_gsff patch works, I think it was the one I used, all the different patches are becoming confusing and the old sites have different ones.

There is a tool that adds control for vsync for Voodoo2 on this page: https://3dfxarchive.com/tools.htm (Voodoo2 Overclocker V1.5), I remembered using 3dfx OverClocking Tab for my V3 too. You might not need it, but it fixed some of the strange issues I had when keyboard keys like Esc don't register ingame and sound effects cut off beginning of race.

Game speed running too fast was fixed with the GS2 patch, or with POD_P4AMD_Patcher for Pentium IV/Athlon cpus.

Hey! I used the "3dfx_gsff" patch you suggested and now the game plays beyond intro scene! Speed is correct, textures, everything...
But...the sound is muted once the intro is over...come on give me a break haha

Still I owe you some beers whenever you are in town!

Reply 8 of 17, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm that's odd, do you mean no sound in the main menu? have you tried setting the volume in options? what about during races?

I had a strange issue with sound effects muting a little after a race starts, that was fixed by setting vsync to software controlled instead of enabled in Display Properties, maybe try the V2 tool I linked earlier and disable vsync.

On MobyGames

Reply 9 of 17, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
svfn wrote on 2021-09-09, 11:37:

Hmm that's odd, do you mean no sound in the main menu? have you tried setting the volume in options? what about during races?

I had a strange issue with sound effects muting a little after a race starts, that was fixed by setting vsync to software controlled instead of enabled in Display Properties, maybe try the V2 tool I linked earlier and disable vsync.

Yep, no sound in main menu or race (no music, no FX). Tried changing volumes in the main menu with no effect.
The intro scene plays ok with sound...This is weird indeed and irritating.

I´m using the onboard sound (which is a decent ESS 1989 Allegro). The rest of the games installed (lots) have no issues at all with this onboard ESS.
In the event POD doesn´t like this particular sound interface...to hell with POD haha

I still can try two more things, the vsync patch you suggested or to uninstall the 3DFX version and installing the full non 3DFX option. The TNT2 M64 is decent enough to handle POD, we must agree.
Thanks again!

Reply 10 of 17, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah POD is best run on Pentium 1 or II cpus. I have no idea why sound does not work in your case then. Maybe you could try podhacks first before uninstalling, it is a fix made by nicode meant to use with GOG release, not sure if it would work on win98 or older OS but it is easy to use.

I don't know if using different gpu would effect the sound but I suppose you could try as a last resort.

On MobyGames

Reply 11 of 17, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some suggestions from the old RealityPOD Underground site:

My sound keeps stuttering, what can I do about it ? This is one of the most tricky POD technical help subjects as no-one really […]
Show full quote

My sound keeps stuttering, what can I do about it ? This is one of the most tricky POD technical help subjects as no-one really knows what causes this to happen, and a solution that works fine for one person has no effect for another person. Here are some of the methods that have been suggested:

The CTRL+ALT+DEL method - Turning off most background programs sometimes helps. To do this, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL once to bring up the Task Manager. Only Explorer and SysTray should be in the list - if you see anything else, click on its name, and click End Task. Repeat this until only Explorer and SysTray are present, then start POD.
The CTRL+M method - In POD, at the start of a race, or during a race, try pressing CTRL+M a few times. This keypress toggles the sound on and off.
Update the sound card drivers - Sometimes the problem can be caused by the sound card drivers. You should check on the website of the sound card manufacturer for updated drivers, and install them if there are any.
POD Sound Settings - The different POD patches enable and disable the sound controls in the Options menu, but if you have them enabled, try experimenting with normal and reverse stereo and with and without Dolby Pro Logic, as this can have an effect on the sound performance, and could be causing the stuttering if one of the options is unsupported on your hardware.

Reply 13 of 17, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
akula65 wrote on 2021-09-10, 15:43:

Some suggestions from the old RealityPOD Underground site:

My sound keeps stuttering, what can I do about it ? This is one of the most tricky POD technical help subjects as no-one really […]
Show full quote

My sound keeps stuttering, what can I do about it ? This is one of the most tricky POD technical help subjects as no-one really knows what causes this to happen, and a solution that works fine for one person has no effect for another person. Here are some of the methods that have been suggested:

The CTRL+ALT+DEL method - Turning off most background programs sometimes helps. To do this, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL once to bring up the Task Manager. Only Explorer and SysTray should be in the list - if you see anything else, click on its name, and click End Task. Repeat this until only Explorer and SysTray are present, then start POD.
The CTRL+M method - In POD, at the start of a race, or during a race, try pressing CTRL+M a few times. This keypress toggles the sound on and off.
Update the sound card drivers - Sometimes the problem can be caused by the sound card drivers. You should check on the website of the sound card manufacturer for updated drivers, and install them if there are any.
POD Sound Settings - The different POD patches enable and disable the sound controls in the Options menu, but if you have them enabled, try experimenting with normal and reverse stereo and with and without Dolby Pro Logic, as this can have an effect on the sound performance, and could be causing the stuttering if one of the options is unsupported on your hardware.

Hi! Tried pushing CTRL+M in-game as described above. The game kinda pauses for a fragment of second as if it was trying to activate/deactivate sound, but it doesn´t.
Thanks for the tip!

Reply 14 of 17, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote on 2021-09-10, 18:11:

I remember that POD used MMX for sound, and was one of the first games to do this.

Well, the K6-2 does have MMX instructions support.

Reply 15 of 17, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
svfn wrote on 2021-09-10, 10:19:

Yeah POD is best run on Pentium 1 or II cpus. I have no idea why sound does not work in your case then. Maybe you could try podhacks first before uninstalling, it is a fix made by nicode meant to use with GOG release, not sure if it would work on win98 or older OS but it is easy to use.

I don't know if using different gpu would effect the sound but I suppose you could try as a last resort.

I tried installing the non 3DFX option. Exactly same results, as suspected.
Even tried installing the non MMX option, just in case...nothing changed.

When/if I feel in the mood, I could try adding a Sound Blaster Live known to work ok in other system with this game...

Reply 16 of 17, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried podhacks? it fixes a lot of issues with sound, thing is I don't know if it works on 98SE.

I don't know if it is sound card related, I was using AWE64 value with my K6-2 and have no issues after I disabled vsync.

On MobyGames

Reply 17 of 17, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
svfn wrote on 2021-09-14, 15:35:

Have you tried podhacks? it fixes a lot of issues with sound, thing is I don't know if it works on 98SE.

I don't know if it is sound card related, I was using AWE64 value with my K6-2 and have no issues after I disabled vsync.

I haven´t tried Podhacks, I believe it applies to GOG .exe (WindowsXP) version only.

Vsync is disabled thanks to the package you recommended, right?:

6.jpg

I´ve realized I have a conflict in the device manager. it relates to the video devices. If I go to each video card in the device manager, they show no conflict though.
I tried swaping the cards (both PCI) place in the motherboard slots, no luck, same conflict shows.
The BIOS (Presario 7476) is very simple/limited, won´t let you tweak almost anything (IRQ reserve for instance).

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I am not sure this has to do with my POD problem, all the other games installed work just fine, but I don´t discard it.
Motoracer for instance is the other game I was having problems, it would freeze when you pressed "start" (to the race). I had to add some swithces to the game shortcut to make it work (as described here Moto Racer freezes when starting race). This is weird, because Motoracer, same as POD, works just fine in the PII/440bx/Voodoo2 system without taking any additional step...
Maybe it has to do with this chipset (MVP4) or CPU...