VOGONS

Reply 20 of 53, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sombrero wrote on 2021-09-22, 12:56:

Nice! Though DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM D=64 MIN=0 should be under DOS1 instead of DOS2, right?

Oh, true. I will edit this. Didn't read the menus entirely. 🤣

I was confused a bit with my own CONFIG.SYS due to muscle memory.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 21 of 53, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-22, 12:17:
On a DOS configuration with a menu one can group multiple lines to avoid repetition. […]
Show full quote

On a DOS configuration with a menu one can group multiple lines to avoid repetition.

For example on CONFIG.SYS:

[MENU]
menuitem=WINDOWS, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
menuitem=DOS1, MS-DOS 7.10 - Expanded Memory
menuitem=DOS2, MS-DOS 7.10 - Extended memory
menuitem=DOS3, MS-DOS 7.10 - Conventional Memory
menudefault=WINDOWS, 5

[COMMON]
DOS=NOAUTO
FILES=45
BUFFERS=30,0
LASTDRIVE=E
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

[HIMEM]
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS

[SETVER]
DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE

[DOSINIT]
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOSPACK\DRIVERS\videcdd.sys /D:MSCD001
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM /E:512 /P

[WINDOWS]
INCLUDE=HIMEM
INCLUDE=SETVER

[DOS1]
INCLUDE=HIMEM
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM D=64 MIN=0
INCLUDE=SETVER
INCLUDE=DOSINIT

[DOS2]
INCLUDE=HIMEM
INCLUDE=SETVER
INCLUDE=DOSINIT

[DOS3]
INCLUDE=SETVER
INCLUDE=DOSINIT

On AUTOEXEC.BAT:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\CTCM;C:\DOSPACK\ORPHINIT;C:\DOSPACK\THROTTLE

goto %config%

:WINDOWS
goto end

:DOS1
:DOS2
:DOS3
REM Add sound initialization here
IF "%config%"=="DOS3" goto NOHIMEM
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001
LH C:\DOSPACK\DRIVERS\ctmouse.exe /R2
goto end

:NOHIMEM
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001
C:\DOSPACK\DRIVERS\ctmouse.exe /R2
goto end

:end

While using PIF files with specialized CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT or "Restart in MS-DOS mode" is the proper way on Windows 9x, it's much less convenient for me due to having to restart many times. Also Phil's video when doing this with COMMAND.COM will get you less conventional memory (check with MEM /C /P command and you'll see two COMMAND) but not with other executables.

"Restart in MS-DOS mode" has DOSSTART.BAT located in C:\WINDOWS for the mouse driver and sound initialization but one cannot deal with content related to CONFIG.SYS for memory managers.

While most of the DOS programs works within Windows 9x without CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT like jakethompson1 said, there are some of them that doesn't and must be run in MS-DOS mode.

Just a note, but I had to include "DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS" under [WINDOWS] else I would get VFAT init errors; might be a YMMV thing, though.

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 22 of 53, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TehGuy wrote on 2021-09-24, 01:31:
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-22, 12:17:
On a DOS configuration with a menu one can group multiple lines to avoid repetition. […]
Show full quote

On a DOS configuration with a menu one can group multiple lines to avoid repetition.

For example on CONFIG.SYS:

[MENU]
menudefault=WINDOWS, 5

[COMMON]
DOS=NOAUTO
FILES=45
BUFFERS=30,0
LASTDRIVE=E

[HIMEM]
DOS=HIGH,UMB

[SETVER]

[DOSINIT]

[WINDOWS]
INCLUDE=HIMEM
INCLUDE=SETVER

[DOS1]
INCLUDE=HIMEM
INCLUDE=SETVER
INCLUDE=DOSINIT

[DOS2]
INCLUDE=HIMEM
INCLUDE=SETVER
INCLUDE=DOSINIT

[DOS3]
INCLUDE=SETVER
INCLUDE=DOSINIT

On AUTOEXEC.BAT:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\CTCM;C:\DOSPACK\ORPHINIT;C:\DOSPACK\THROTTLE

goto %config%

:WINDOWS
goto end

:DOS1
:DOS2
:DOS3
REM Add sound initialization here
IF "%config%"=="DOS3" goto NOHIMEM
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001
LH C:\DOSPACK\DRIVERS\ctmouse.exe /R2
goto end

:NOHIMEM
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001
C:\DOSPACK\DRIVERS\ctmouse.exe /R2
goto end

:end

While using PIF files with specialized CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT or "Restart in MS-DOS mode" is the proper way on Windows 9x, it's much less convenient for me due to having to restart many times. Also Phil's video when doing this with COMMAND.COM will get you less conventional memory (check with MEM /C /P command and you'll see two COMMAND) but not with other executables.

"Restart in MS-DOS mode" has DOSSTART.BAT located in C:\WINDOWS for the mouse driver and sound initialization but one cannot deal with content related to CONFIG.SYS for memory managers.

While most of the DOS programs works within Windows 9x without CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT like jakethompson1 said, there are some of them that doesn't and must be run in MS-DOS mode.

Just a note, but I had to include "DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS" under [WINDOWS] else I would get VFAT init errors; might be a YMMV thing, though.

Indeed, since DOS=NOAUTO is set in [COMMON] adding IFSHLP.SYS is very important for Windows. DOS=AUTO (which is the default) always includes this along with DBLBUFF.SYS.

I have modified that post once again as a measure.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 23 of 53, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One last thing to note about custom PIF files, as shown in Phil's video. Clicking on such a PIF file will obviously restart your computer and load DOS 7.x. Less obviously, your computer will remain in DOS mode until you type "Exit" even if you shut it down using the power button or restart it using CTRL+ALT+DEL. Even pressing the reset button on the case won't end this mode, only typing the "Exit" command will.

This can be useful if you primarily want to play DOS games on your Win9x machine and don't need Windows to load at all. Of course, there are also other ways to boot straight into DOS on a Win9x system.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 24 of 53, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Preetty glad I asked about this in advance 😁

I took that DOS=NOAUTO from one of PhilsComputerLab templates I found, apparently without it coventional memory boot option still ended up with XMS memory. It didn't have IFSHLP.SYS or DBLBUFF.SYS anywhere in there, but Phil was using .PIFs in his guide so I guess those aren't needed in that case?

Reply 25 of 53, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sombrero wrote on 2021-09-24, 06:27:

I took that DOS=NOAUTO from one of PhilsComputerLab templates I found, apparently without it coventional memory boot option still ended up with XMS memory. It didn't have IFSHLP.SYS or DBLBUFF.SYS anywhere in there, but Phil was using .PIFs in his guide so I guess those aren't needed in that case?

You could move DOS=NOAUTO into DOS3 for more safety, but it will load IFSHLP.SYS and DBLBUFF.SYS besides HIMEM.SYS and SETVER on the other menus automatically. Alternatively you can use DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO instead on configurations other than [WINDOWS]. I have edited the post for once again for convenience. Phil reason for adding this into [COMMON] was due to using MS-DOS Mode on a PIF file.

Joseph_Joestar is correct about everything in using COMMAND.COM as a custom PIF file, but as I said on a previous post you will get less conventional memory this way.

Reply 27 of 53, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also, it might be worth using FILESHIGH, BUFFERSHIGH, LASTDRIVEHIGH over the non-high entries to free up a bit more conventional memory for anything including HIMEM. I think it takes me from ~600k to ~620k when booting with DOS1.

I moved the non-high versions from [COMMON] to [DOS3] since it's the only one that doesn't use HIMEM, but you could probably lower some of the values for FILES and BUFFERS to squeeze a bit more memory out under that environment if you need it.

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card

Reply 28 of 53, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TehGuy wrote on 2021-09-24, 14:39:

Also, it might be worth using FILESHIGH, BUFFERSHIGH, LASTDRIVEHIGH over the non-high entries to free up a bit more conventional memory for anything including HIMEM. I think it takes me from ~600k to ~620k when booting with DOS1.

I moved the non-high versions from [COMMON] to [DOS3] since it's the only one that doesn't use HIMEM, but you could probably lower some of the values for FILES and BUFFERS to squeeze a bit more memory out under that environment if you need it.

Alright, is this correct?

[COMMON]

[HIMEMDOS]
DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO
FILESHIGH=45
BUFFERSHIGH=30,0
LASTDRIVEHIGH=E

[DOS3]
DOS=NOAUTO
INCLUDE=SETVER
INCLUDE=DOSINIT
FILES=45
BUFFERS=30,0
LASTDRIVE=E

Haven't got a clue how much I could lower those values though, any idea?

Reply 29 of 53, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sombrero wrote on 2021-09-24, 16:10:
Alright, is this correct? […]
Show full quote
TehGuy wrote on 2021-09-24, 14:39:

Alright, is this correct?

[COMMON]

[HIMEMDOS]
DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO
FILESHIGH=45
BUFFERSHIGH=30,0
LASTDRIVEHIGH=E

[DOS3]
DOS=NOAUTO
INCLUDE=SETVER
INCLUDE=DOSINIT
FILES=45
BUFFERS=30,0
LASTDRIVE=E

Haven't got a clue how much I could lower those values though, any idea?

Yes, but for DOS1 there's still stuff that will be put on conventional memory due to lack of UMB (no issues adding FILESHIGH, etc on [HIMEMDOS] though). I also suggest adding adding STACKS=9,256 to [COMMON] in addition for better stability, not STACKSHIGH due to compatibility issues.

Reply 30 of 53, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-24, 16:17:

Yes, but for DOS1 there's still stuff that will be put on conventional memory due to lack of UMB (no issues adding FILESHIGH, etc on [HIMEMDOS] though). I also suggest adding adding STACKS=9,256 to [COMMON] in addition for better stability, not STACKSHIGH due to compatibility issues.

Added!

But doesn't DOS1 include UMB through INCLUDE=HIMEMDOS?

[HIMEMDOS]
DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO

Or am I misunderstading something here?

Reply 31 of 53, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sombrero wrote on 2021-09-24, 16:27:
Added! […]
Show full quote
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-24, 16:17:

Added!

But doesn't DOS1 include UMB through INCLUDE=HIMEMDOS?

[HIMEMDOS]
DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO

Or am I misunderstading something here?

DOS=UMB does nothing unless you installed a real mode UMB driver such as UMBPCI as mentioned on a previous post or EMM386 is added after HIMEM.SYS, but the latter one forces the CPU into v86 mode which reduces compatibility with some DOS games.

Reply 32 of 53, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-24, 16:31:

DOS=UMB does nothing unless you installed a real mode UMB driver such as UMBPCI as mentioned on a previous post or EMM386 is added after HIMEM.SYS, but the latter one forces the CPU into v86 mode which reduces compatibility with some DOS games.

Alrighty then.

I bet figuring this stuff out back in the 80's and 90's was easy and fun without internet 😁

Edit: Oh, and I also just noticed your example Config.sys currently has DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE and DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOSPACK\DRIVERS\videcdd.sys /D:MSCD001 for DOS3 even though it doesn't load HIMEM.SYS.

Reply 33 of 53, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2021-09-24, 16:42:

Edit: Oh, and I also just noticed your example Config.sys currently has DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE and DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOSPACK\DRIVERS\videcdd.sys /D:MSCD001 for DOS3 even though it doesn't load HIMEM.SYS.

Fixed I think? Current Config.sys:

[MENU]
menudefault=WINDOWS, 5

[COMMON]
STACKS=9,256

[HIMEMDOS]
DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO
FILESHIGH=45
BUFFERSHIGH=30,0
LASTDRIVEHIGH=E

[SETVERHIGH]

[SETVER]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE

[DOSINITHIGH]

[DOSINIT]
DEVICE=C:\DOSPACK\DRIVERS\videcdd.sys /D:MSCD001

[WINDOWS]
REM Since DOS=AUTO is the default everything essential will be loaded automatically

[DOS1]
INCLUDE=HIMEMDOS
INCLUDE=SETVERHIGH
INCLUDE=DOSINITHIGH

[DOS2]
INCLUDE=HIMEMDOS
INCLUDE=SETVERHIGH
INCLUDE=DOSINITHIGH

[DOS3]
DOS=NOAUTO
FILES=45
BUFFERS=30,0
LASTDRIVE=E
INCLUDE=SETVER
INCLUDE=DOSINIT

Reply 34 of 53, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The current modifications you did on CONFIG.SYS are good enough for now. 👍

Reply 35 of 53, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

might as well change STACKS= to STACKSHIGH=

I personally always set those to 0,0 and never had problems with it. but YMMV.

oh and

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /testmem:off

to speed up the boot process a little

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 36 of 53, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-24, 21:04:

Stay away from STACKSHIGH, I tried that times ago and it causes issues with Bio Menace. 😀

At least with STACKSHIGH=9,256 though.

Reply 37 of 53, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh and for old times sake

FCBS=1,0 or FCBSHIGH ? can't remember :-p

frees up a little more memory.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 38 of 53, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-24, 21:09:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-24, 21:04:

Stay away from STACKSHIGH, I tried that times ago and it causes issues with Bio Menace. 😀

At least with STACKSHIGH=9,256 though.

Would it do the same with 9,128? From what I can find, it seems to be the 'default' for DOS <=6.22 (DOS 7+ seems to default it to 0,0)

EDIT:

Sombrero wrote on 2021-09-24, 17:29:
Fixed I think? Current Config.sys: […]
Show full quote
Sombrero wrote on 2021-09-24, 16:42:

Fixed I think? Current Config.sys:

[MENU]
menudefault=WINDOWS, 5

[COMMON]
STACKS=9,256

[HIMEMDOS]
DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO
FILESHIGH=45
BUFFERSHIGH=30,0
LASTDRIVEHIGH=E

[SETVERHIGH]

[SETVER]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE

[DOSINITHIGH]

[DOSINIT]
DEVICE=C:\DOSPACK\DRIVERS\videcdd.sys /D:MSCD001

[WINDOWS]
REM Since DOS=AUTO is the default everything essential will be loaded automatically

[DOS1]
INCLUDE=HIMEMDOS
INCLUDE=SETVERHIGH
INCLUDE=DOSINITHIGH

[DOS2]
INCLUDE=HIMEMDOS
INCLUDE=SETVERHIGH
INCLUDE=DOSINITHIGH

[DOS3]
DOS=NOAUTO
FILES=45
BUFFERS=30,0
LASTDRIVE=E
INCLUDE=SETVER
INCLUDE=DOSINIT

So, and I just found this out, you should just be able to use DEVICEHIGH over DEVICE in DOSINIT since it will load into conventional memory should there not be enough UMB or it just doesn't exist. It isn't going to change things functionally if that's true, but it will reduce a bit of clutter :p

Per http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~bse26236/batutil/h … lp/DEVICEHS.HTM

If upper memory is not available, the DEVICEHIGH command
functions just like the DEVICE command.

Reply 39 of 53, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TehGuy wrote on 2021-09-24, 22:00:

Would it do the same with 9,128? From what I can find, it seems to be the 'default' for DOS <=6.22 (DOS 7+ seems to default it to 0,0)

STACKS=9,128 works fine with that game, but not with STACKSHIGH=9,128. It froze/rebooted just right after killing the first enemy, no wonder why this game was discontinued early. DOS mode of Windows 9x defaults to STACKSHIGH=9,256, I checked that with mem /d/p to make sure. So one wouldn't notice this problem unless there is UMB.

Bio Menace even shows warning messages at startup about "Random lockups" and suggest adding STACKS=9,256 to CONFIG.SYS.

TehGuy wrote on 2021-09-24, 22:00:

So, and I just found this out, you should just be able to use DEVICEHIGH over DEVICE in DOSINIT since will load into conventional memory should there not be enough UMB or it just doesn't exist. It isn't going to change things functionally if that's true, but it will reduce a bit of clutter :p

Per http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~bse26236/batutil/h … lp/DEVICEHS.HTM

If upper memory is not available, the DEVICEHIGH command
functions just like the DEVICE command.

This is why exactly I showed CONFIG.SYS only with [DOSINIT] and [SETVER].