VOGONS

First post, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been a while since I posted anything here!

One of my latest projects is a HP Omnibook XE4100 - a Tulatin-based Celeron laptop from 2002. Unfortunately, I seem to have run into a bit of a weird bug. When trying to run Windows XP, it keeps interpreting the laptop's date as 1921 after every reboot. Doesn't matter if it is SP2, SP3 or a mostly-updated SP3 - same issue occurs. Any pre-2020 date is picked up correctly, but 2020 onwards tries to turn the laptop into a time machine. Even weirder? Windows Millennium Edition appears to have no issue with this date whatsoever. I tried installing the latest BIOS but no change - anyone have any idea on how I can fix this, since the laptop is of course not going to ever be connected to the internet?

Reply 1 of 2, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Odd, as there's one listed on the Bay atm which is dual-boot XP SP4 / 98, but the seller includes the following note only for 98...

"Slight Bug with the date/time on these machines anything after 2020 year windows 98 doesn't like it so has to be set back a bit. Not a huge deal as these are old laptops and wont be connected to the web."

Reply 2 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not really a fix but work around is picking a matching calendar year like 2010, or any of the others i this list
https://www.greenmatters.com/p/what-calendar-reuse-2021