VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just beat the original Half-Life and Opposing Force on my Pentium 233 MMX Windows 95 machine with a Voodoo 1, and now I want to play through Blue Shift. However, this time I want to play it on a machine from the 21st century (because the game is from 2001 and I'm also in the mood for far better performance). The issue is that while it runs beautifully as you'd expect, the colors don't look right. It looks especially bad in darker areas, and I'd describe it as splotchy or very banded looking. Perhaps it's related to it being a 16bpp/high color game.

I also tried OG HL and the same issue happened, but it could actually be fixed by using the 3Dfx miniGL driver via nGlide, though that also caused worse shadows and for some reason this doesn't work with Blue Shift at all. Any ideas? It may be a simple fix I'm just overlooking.

Last edited by thepirategamerboy12 on 2021-10-06, 00:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you chosen 32bit rendering?

If you go from 16bit rendering on voodoo based card to 16bit rendering on a different card, you may notice worse quality because the voodoo card maintains higher precision throughout it's render pipeline vs other cards in 16bit rendering.

Switching to 32bit rendering/output should fix this though.

Reply 2 of 4, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2021-10-05, 23:43:

Have you chosen 32bit rendering?

If you go from 16bit rendering on voodoo based card to 16bit rendering on a different card, you may notice worse quality because the voodoo card maintains higher precision throughout it's render pipeline vs other cards in 16bit rendering.

Switching to 32bit rendering/output should fix this though.

I don't see any option in the game itself to change to 32bit colors. I'm using the original CD release of the game.

Last edited by thepirategamerboy12 on 2021-10-06, 00:37. Edited 1 time in total.