VOGONS

First post, by AcidJazz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All, I hope some of you can help and shed some light on this issue I ran into.
I'm trying to find and install CD/DVD drivers in DOS, the machine I'm working on is a Pentium III 866 Mhz - 256MB - Sound Blaster Live! Value - Geforce4 MMX440 (or ATI 128 Pro, depends) - Windows 98 SE Plus!.
I0'm using Windows 98 SE DOS, but I'm planning to install a Dual Boot MS-DOS/ Win98 SE on a different Hard Drive.

I managed to install the Sound Blaster Live! drivers and Mouse drivers, however, I can't manage to find appropriate drivers for those two (or one, for instance) CD-ROM drivesç
- Creative DVD8400E
- HL-DT-ST CD-RW GE-8520B - preferred

According to Windows, no specific drivers are needed, they just work after the standard OS installation, while this is different for DOS.
I am aware of the MSCDEX.EXE line I might add on the Autoexec.bat, but without appropriate drivers, if I remember correctly I cannot reflect the installation on config.sys.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S.
I'm running also into some "no base memory" issue, depending on the game, but I will probably create a different thread for that 😉

Reply 1 of 3, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VIDE-CDD.SYS (small and quite compatible)
OAKCDROM.SYS
GSCDROM.SYS

Any one of these or a few others should be loaded in CONFIG.SYS. And then MSCDEX.EXE in AUTOEXEC.BAT to initialize the drive.

That's assuming a standard IDE/ATAPI drive connected to the motherboard. If connected to a sound card header, something else may be needed.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What motherboard are you using? Are you connecting to the chipset IDE/SATA controller or are you connecting to a 3rd party controller?

You should be connecting to the chipset controller.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 3, by AcidJazz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you! The VIDE-CDD.SYS driver fixed the issue!
And yes, the drive is connected directly to the motherboard, simply didn't load the driver in config.sys, as I didn't find a fitting one before, my bad.
However, now it looks like that restarting the pc in MS-DOS mode loads SB Live! drivers, mouse, and CD-ROM drivers, all good so far, the only issue is conventional memory for some games, as it appears I have less than 600k overall (launhing the command mem /c), but I guess this is a topic for a different thread.