VOGONS

First post, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, so basically I converted my 2006 (made for xp) dual core 1gb ram laptop into a windows 98 machine. I am disappointed though since Genecyst doesn't seem to work on it. The msdos window flashes some text then closes. Is there any reason the old emu doesn't work on windows 98? Is the laptop too new or..? Maybe there is a simple fix that I haven't thought of. Thanks.

Duron 800mhz 256mb ram geforce2 mx Windows 98se
K8V-MX/S Sempron 2600+ 512mb Ram Radeon 9600XT 256mb Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
djsabreblade.bandcamp.com

Reply 2 of 9, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of course but I'm trying to get my favorite emu genecyst working. its simply classic. I remember using genecyst and the games seemed a lot funner to play on it than modern emulators!

K8V-MX/S Sempron 2600+ 512mb Ram Radeon 9600XT 256mb Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2

Reply 3 of 9, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should open a MS-DOS console, and then launch Genecyst from there. Maybe reading that text can give you hints.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 9, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Already tried that. I also tried to launch on windows xp (dual boot). I don't understand what the text means. There was a page fault and exception amongst other 'random looking' things iirc.. tried to print screen but doesn't work. I am wondering if the video card is the problem its a Geforce Go 7300 using the tweaked drivers. I can only use basic hardware acceleration but on windows xp i can use full acceleration and it still won't work. I suppose I could try the emulator on my athlon64 3400 2gb ram and sapphire agp hd 3850 and see what happens if anything.

Reply 5 of 9, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have fond memories of Genecyst (late 90s, early 00s). That and Nesticle, Znes, UltraHLE...those were the days of emulation...

If you happen to have another lower end (slower single CPU, lower ram) system around, I would try that same Genecyst executable and see what happens.

Reply 6 of 9, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do have an athlon 800mhz but my lcd tv in my bedroom is sitting on top of it. Its not plugged into anything. Not sure it would be worth it or not. I wish I could get the emu working on something I have plugged in and ready to use.

Reply 7 of 9, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure why it would crash under Win 98. Maybe try to edit the GEN.INI file and set a different screen mode like 320x200?

Or you could run it inside dosbox. (emulator inside an emulator...)

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 9 of 9, by djsabreblade

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

edit ; IT WORKS GREAT ON DOSBOX! 😀