VOGONS

First post, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a way to prevent the DHCP BSOD that happens on first launch of WfW 3.11? I'd like to be able to have the ethernet cable unplugged from this PC when I'm not planning on using the network, but still have windows boot in a reasonable time. Is there some config file I can disable the DHCP check on startup in? I'd rather have change a cfg from dos every once in a while than sit through the timeout every time if that's an option.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 5, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-12-02, 23:18:

Is there a way to prevent the DHCP BSOD that happens on first launch of WfW 3.11? I'd like to be able to have the ethernet cable unplugged from this PC when I'm not planning on using the network, but still have windows boot in a reasonable time. Is there some config file I can disable the DHCP check on startup in? I'd rather have change a cfg from dos every once in a while than sit through the timeout every time if that's an option.

Thanks in advance.

I figured it out. Go into Main -> Windows Setup -> Options -> Change Network Settings -> Uncheck DHCP and enter an IP/Subnet

Leaving this here for future searches.

- AN

Reply 2 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good man for posting your workaround.

Though I am really puzzled why I haven't had this problem in the past, because I have had wfwg networked... I think maybe because I had older winsocks that I had to manually launch to enable TPC/IP.

edit: or they launched when I used a TCP/IP application, I think Microsoft Networking was bound to IPX/SPX rather than TCP/IP

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 5, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-03, 05:06:

Good man for posting your workaround.

Though I am really puzzled why I haven't had this problem in the past, because I have had wfwg networked... I think maybe because I had older winsocks that I had to manually launch to enable TPC/IP.

edit: or they launched when I used a TCP/IP application, I think Microsoft Networking was bound to IPX/SPX rather than TCP/IP

Wasn't it NetBUE? NT initially used BSDs tcp/ip stack.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-12-03, 17:43:

netbeui 😁

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 5, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2021-12-03, 21:12:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-12-03, 17:43:

netbeui 😁

Thank you kind sir.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉