VOGONS

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi

I like to use multiple partitions on my harddrives because it's easier to reinstall etc. Thing is however that windows automatically seems to make hard drive partitions the first letters of the alphabet. For compatibility reasons I want the CDROM drive to always be D: but I don't know how to do it.

I tried to partition the second partition after windows 98 was installed but it changed the drive letters anyway.. Is there a way to force windows 98 to use D: only for CDROM drive?

BR Joakim

Reply 3 of 4, by flynnsbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-12, 12:11:
Hi […]
Show full quote

Hi

I like to use multiple partitions on my harddrives because it's easier to reinstall etc. Thing is however that windows automatically seems to make hard drive partitions the first letters of the alphabet. For compatibility reasons I want the CDROM drive to always be D: but I don't know how to do it.

I tried to partition the second partition after windows 98 was installed but it changed the drive letters anyway.. Is there a way to force windows 98 to use D: only for CDROM drive?

BR Joakim

If needed on the DOS side only,
You can also create a very small partition (10MB) that the DOS algorithm will assign to D:, then assign your CD drive to something like F:, and then use the assign command to take back over the D: letter with your CD drive. Like this:
3 partitions:
1. C Drive (Boot)
2. D Drive (stub disk 10 MB)
3. E Drive (Data remaining disk space)
4. F Drive (Actual CD drive)

In autoexec.bat
LOADHIGH C:\DRIVERS\SHSUCDX.COM /D:IDE-CD /L:F /V /C
ASSIGN D:=F:

At this point both F: and D: will look like the CD drive. This has worked for most games I've tested.

Reply 4 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-12, 12:11:

For compatibility reasons I want the CDROM drive to always be D: but I don't know how to do it.

MSCDEX provides APIs for properly testing for the presence of the CD and obtaining the drive letter. Don't think I ever played a game that required the CD drive to be on D. Probably a few such games exist, though. Make sure you actually intend to play them before you spend effort trying to solve a problem that you will not encounter.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys