VOGONS

First post, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am playing one of the earliest DOS versions of King's Quest 1 from 5.25" floppies. I used KryoFlux to write the floppies from archive.org title "Kings Quest I[ PC 360k]" uploaded by user Gypsy Dave. This scheme authors floppies that successfully carry the needed copy protection track, and the game starts ok from the copy protection check.

The version I have is not the booter version, but a MS-DOS installer based one.

However, I run into an issue - when entering a cabin west of the castle, the game prompts for the second floppy. However, inserting the second floppy does not help. In fact, what is most odd is that the game does not even attempt to read the disk drive, (the disk motor does not even attempt to spin up) but stays stuck on the disk change prompt dialog when pressing enter - so it can't possibly even know what disk has been inserted in the drive.

I have tried to debug if I would have an incorrectly written media, but tried writing (and playing) the disks using four different 5.25" floppy drives, all with the same result. Did a hex compare on the installed game files on hard disk from three different floppy drives to check if there might be a mismatch, but they all agree on the bits. So I am starting to think maybe this is some other issue.

Any ideas on what might be causing this? Not sure what to try anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_2324.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_2324.jpg
    File size
    66.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I say it is the system or the disk drive itself.

Sounds like the system is not detecting a disk change and so the game is still seeing the file structure for Disk 1.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 5, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The usual test with computers floppy drives is do a dir on a floppy disk, swap for different floppy disk and do a dir again. If correct, the listing will be different. If not, and do a control+c and redo dir and listing changes, then you have a change disk detect switch, cable with a pin disk change broken or floppy controller not working properly to detect this.

Solve these first to make sure you have working computer overall.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 5, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-12-30, 20:29:

The usual test with computers floppy drives is do a dir on a floppy disk, swap for different floppy disk and do a dir again. If correct, the listing will be different. If not, and do a control+c and redo dir and listing changes, then you have a change disk detect switch, cable with a pin disk change broken or floppy controller not working properly to detect this.

Solve these first to make sure you have working computer overall.

Cheers,

Tested this protocol on two of the four floppy drives I have, they both pass this check. That does not seem to be the issue.

The floppy drives do work, and the computer also otherwise works. I'll see if I can find another system to test on.

Reply 4 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are the specs of the system you are having issues with?

Could be that the game is freaking out on too fast of a system.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK