VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

are there any real time program to monitor the real time CD/DVD IDE drive speed during the disc reading, similar to a CPU monitor tool? Beside having enabled the DMA on the 430VX/440BX boards I'm trying lately I still wonder at which speed the drive is working during a continuous reading task (example, a cd audio or a dvd video).
Thanks
Bye

Reply 1 of 1, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like MPC-HC can monitor the bitrates of audio and video files in real time (View > Statistics). From that, you'd be able to calculate the drive speed (1x = 11 mb/s for a DVD drive; 1.2 mb/s for a CD drive). Keep in mind that for video files, MPC reports the audio and video bitrates separately, so make sure to total them. Recent versions of MPC-HC won't run on 9x, but I think there were versions being produced for it until around 2006 or so.

Untitled.png
Filename
Untitled.png
File size
12.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

As for monitoring file transfer speed, it looks like KillCopy might be just the ticket. I haven't used it personally, but the screenshot looks promising.
http://web.archive.org/web/20050608005843/htt … /killcopye.html

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!