VOGONS

First post, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trying to run it on a Windows 98 PC in pure dos mode, but I get this error. No idea what it means. Tried searching google, but not really any useful results.

Anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_3882.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3882.jpg
    File size
    90.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's the PC you are trying to run in on spec wise ?

The 2001 error means that the version of Dos4gw you are using is incompatible/too old with your machine and you'll need to find a newer version of it, if you have other games that use it you can try copying across the dos4gw executable from there to your War2 directory.

You could also try DOS32a
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/TOOLS:DOS32A

There is a website link in the top right corner.

Reply 3 of 7, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JustRob wrote on 2022-01-29, 19:32:

Windows 98 SE, pentium 3 1000mhz, 640mb ram, 3dfx voodoo3, aureal vortex 2 and awe64 gold for dos games.

I'll try that out, ty

At a guess it doesnt like the amount of ram you are using 🤣, it'll likely see that much and throw a fit at it, DOS itself has issues over 64mb of ram and windows 98se doesnt like more than 512, itll run with more but it wont like it and will throw odd errors with some programs.

Reply 5 of 7, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@TrashPanda is absolutely right - the version of DOS4GW embedded in WAR2.EXE does not work with more than 64MB memory. You need to replace the embedded DOS4GW with DOS32A using the instructions in the wiki he posted above. I faced the exact same problem just last week!

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50

Reply 6 of 7, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JustRob wrote on 2022-01-29, 19:46:

I haven't encountered any problems with that so far. I did have to apply a patch to some other dos games because my cpu was too fast tho.

Well now you have at least one that doesnt like it and other older versions of DOS4gw will likely have the same problem, but you have a fix for it at least 😁