VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

I know this is not an old o.s. related question but I'd like to ask if beside the official optimizations to make the W8.1 GUI faster even with the lite theme editing, disabling animations, transparencies etc.. there're more ways to instead completely use the Win 7 GUI in 8.1. I read about many third party apps that make the GUI looks like the old o.s. but I wanted something to possibly do manually using official ways or files. Not that I don't like W8.1 GUI but it's way heavier than the Win7 one and the WDDM1.1 driver doesn't help too on this iGPU. I know this might be a problem I suppose once new updates come out but technically is it possible? At the end the Win7 GUI used WDDM1.1 gpu driver model so I suppose some tweak would not be the most impossible thing to imagine like in linux people can use the lightest simplest GUI with the latest heaviest kernel.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 8, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

why wont you use windows 7 instead? windows 8.1 support got killed way before windows 7 one, and almost everything runs the same or better on 7

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 3 of 8, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-03-20, 22:40:

Technically 8.1 has untill January 10th 2023 before all support is killed

yeah that's from Microsoft, but driver support from both amd and Nvidia ended a time ago, intel too i think
as such, software support i think is limited

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 5 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weldum wrote on 2022-03-20, 21:20:

why wont you use windows 7 instead? windows 8.1 support got killed way before windows 7 one, and almost everything runs the same or better on 7

Because I don't have a license as I had in the past OEM netbooks and the only modern Win I have (and I suppose the last version I'll have considering how heavy they seems to become) is 8.1 retail boxed version. I agree that at the end there should not be compatibility differences and the Win 7 GUI is way better imho and on a much lighter general o.s. with less background weight on the cpu and gpu. At the end 3D retro games from Directx8 and above runs more or less similar (a bit slower in Win 8.1) but older games compatibility is a big problem on latest o.s. versions and need much more tweak than Win 7 to just run but generally the whole experience is slower even with every drivers anyway installed and running.
I was thinking if the latest updated GUI from Win7 could live in the Win8.1 setup. It's not about the theme itself already at the lightest mode, is about the whole logic of the Metro GUI imho.. the o.s. would requires a WDDM1.3 driver to run better but anyway requires a more powerful cpu than in Win7 to run just as fast using older gpu drivers.

Reply 6 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weldum wrote on 2022-03-20, 21:20:

why wont you use windows 7 instead?

Sadly, as new CPUs continue to integrate more essential things (like bus controllers) , 7's being gutted that way. If not the Visual Studio Core lib gambit move again (i.e. "core path") or the new D3D compiler, it's that.

I don't use 8.1 but I imagine the solution for the GUI style is still the cursed WindowBlinds. 😒 Note that a lot of those popular "classic windows shell is back!!!" solutions only stop at the start menu imitations and never the actual windows and there's no WB alternatives.

The lack of font configuration and actual color schemes in recent Windows really sucks.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IMO, Vista/Win7 are the pinnacle of Microsoft's desktop GUIs in terms of appearance and style. Win8 made a total mess of things, which Microsoft is very slowly sifting through with Win10 and lately Win11.

In terms of speed, Win8 is generally faster than Win7, but like everything it depends on proper driver support from the hardware vendors. Time and again the conclusion I reach is that for good experience, one should run contemporary Windows on their hardware. Any other combination (OS much newer than hardware or hardware much newer than OS) is just a never-ending chain of issues, weird bugs, workarounds, and generally a subpar experience.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 8 of 8, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I understand why Win 8 might have had a reason to exist considering touchscreen devices but after that just like from Vista to Win 7, I would have expected the whole o.s. to come back to a minimal lighter logic and desktop/notebook oriented, beside the WDDM driver features version. It's not like these features were needed to make XP or later GUIs faster. Even Win 95 GUI is hw accelerated by the well known ancient video chips and the gui was fast even on hardware that nowdays would be slower than a coffe machine subsytem. For the few experience I had with Win 10 I didn't see much really changed and also many services, background processes, ram usage weight even at boot. If it's like 8.1 not much can be tweaked (before installing like old Win 9x o.s. let the user choice) and "to feel" fast it might use all GPU features but when on low end config it's quite clear how much complex it is.

Like it happens in the web browsers modern homepages, they might use all the opengl accelerations but the weight of most pages rendering is obvious. It's not like linux o.s. didn't become heavy too but at least a different gui and sw choice still can be done but not always easy, old alternative gpu support is a big problem there if they're not the good open radeon or intel driver supported gpus. Anyway using official o.s. options I configured the gui as lightest as possible but not really much changed in terms of latency speed.