VOGONS

Reply 40 of 146, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-21, 00:08:

Battlefield 1942.
That game should not have been released while any of the greatest generation were still alive. That is simply a disgrace. One can dumb down things on a history based game, to create a fluent gameplay and arcade fun. But not too much. DoD got that right.

Dumbed down? BF1942 probably had the most complex mechanics in a mainstream online FPS at that point in time. So few of those games had driveable vehicles, or even just taking off planes from aircraft carriers (assuming you don't get intentionally teamkilled for the plane first). It's released when C&C Renegade and Tribes 2 were the apex for that type of team-based wide-scale territorial control FPS thing. To go further would mean into Operation Flashpoint's levels of tedium.

The commercial exploitation of WW2 is a different issue altogether, and most of EA's efforts were fueled by Saving Private Ryan's success (EA did have Dreamworks InteractiveEA Los Angeles) and there were quite a few games obsessed with omaha beach / operation overlord around that time since the film came out.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 41 of 146, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh yes waiting for planes to spawn was a PITA.

You could do cool stuff in BF1942 like indirect artillery fire. One player could spot for the gun allowing it to hit targets that the gunner couldn't see.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 42 of 146, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much every popular RTS game, not because I think they're bad or anything, it's just that I'm terrible at stuff like strategizing and micromanaging resources. I have friends that just pick up these games and it's almost second nature to them, but my mind doesn't seem to work that way. I kind of have the same problem with RPGs that have large parties (more than 3 or so). Which is a shame because I can tell some of these are very good quality games.

Also, MMORPGs. The amount of grinding is unfathomable, and one of the things I value the most about games in general, which is inmersion, is almost non-existant. In general, if multiplayer-only games, battle royales, F2P, mobile games and all that kind of stuff vanished suddenly one day I wouldn't be bothered at all.

Reply 43 of 146, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-04-22, 00:53:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-21, 00:08:

Battlefield 1942.
That game should not have been released while any of the greatest generation were still alive. That is simply a disgrace. One can dumb down things on a history based game, to create a fluent gameplay and arcade fun. But not too much. DoD got that right.

Dumbed down? BF1942 probably had the most complex mechanics in a mainstream online FPS at that point in time. So few of those games had driveable vehicles, or even just taking off planes from aircraft carriers (assuming you don't get intentionally teamkilled for the plane first). It's released when C&C Renegade and Tribes 2 were the apex for that type of team-based wide-scale territorial control FPS thing. To go further would mean into Operation Flashpoint's levels of tedium.

The commercial exploitation of WW2 is a different issue altogether, and most of EA's efforts were fueled by Saving Private Ryan's success (EA did have Dreamworks InteractiveEA Los Angeles) and there were quite a few games obsessed with omaha beach / operation overlord around that time since the film came out.

Exactly. It's really complex idiocy. Easy to include all kinds of gimmicks once the game dispenses with any basic rule of physics and historic accuracy. Might as well have been a bubble gum bases space society, so why base it on WW2, optically?

I like jumpers.

Reply 45 of 146, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-04-22, 04:33:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-22, 04:03:

so why base it on WW2, optically?

hmm

Oh, well, WW2 was actually a thing before SPR and no one here in Europe needs a movie to be reminded of it.
Also, that film is considered rather realistic so I completely fail to see any connection here. 😉

I like jumpers.

Reply 46 of 146, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2022-04-22, 04:33:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-22, 04:03:

so why base it on WW2, optically?

hmm

I can actually remember that back in the day there seemed to be a distinct lack of WW2 based games (I know there were some, like some submarine game I played at friends houses really long time ago!), but at some point the market got flooded with WW2 based games. At first I liked it but enough is enough. And too much is just too much.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 48 of 146, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there are quite a few i agree with!

i'd add Quake and Quake 2 - both good gameplay but for me without much immersion or sense of 'being there'. I actually like Doom3 and Quake 4, though still not quite enough to consider myself a fan

GTA4 - it is impressive looking, i like the setting - but it's let down by ridiculous spec demands on a PC, unforgivably sloppy driving implementation and awkward contradiction between protagonists sympathetic 'realistic / gritty' story and the fact that he's a murderer (and inevitably, given the awful driving mechanics, a hit and run criminal too!)

point & click like monkey island - i want to like them but instead simply appreciate them for what they were at the time and not actually play them

Sombrero wrote on 2022-04-21, 06:57:

Halo: Combat Evolved:
I liked the music and the sci-fi plot, but I thought the levels were very repetitive and boring and wasn't terribly fond of the goofy comic book enemies either.

absolutely! a good enough game in gameplay terms but a wasted setting and cartoon enemies made this a lost opportunity in my view

SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-04-21, 12:01:

Blood. Episode 1 is fun, the rest of the game is so bland and boring. The gameplay "flow" is really poor too. Shooting flares into hoards if zombies then running in circles for 10 seconds waiting for them to ignite is just not fun. Having to quick save before every door because the corners have hidden hitscanners is not fun. Voodoo Doll is fun, but you need to save it for the gargoyles, so you can't just enjoy it.... I really don't get the current love for this game.

I think the oldschool difficulty is part of the current interest, plus the setting was strange and interesting - but i agree that after the first few maps it started to lose its grip

Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-04-21, 13:48:

I hate, hate , HATE turn based combat games. I can't fathom why anyone would enjoy playing them.

i quite like them sometimes for the 'chess game' feel but for me turn based is nicer in an RPG, where action that tends to favor twitch over tactics spoils the story imo

Namrok wrote on 2022-04-21, 14:57:

Man, I was all about Quake 3 over Unreal Tournament back in the day. My memory of it back then was that UT just didn't feel as responsive or performant. Quake 3 just ran better on a wider variety of computers.

I liked both Q3 and UT, preferring the latter overall and feeling it was more responsive to play. I've never seen a direct performance comparison with FPS, I/O response etc, would be interesting to see.

creepingnet wrote on 2022-04-21, 20:08:

Another genre I don't really get into much is the "fighting" genre, ie Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, or Tekken (and similar). These games just bore me and goes either one of two ways: either I kick everyone's patoot while bashing buttons randomly like a maniac, or I lose because I don't have the foggiest idea what I'm doing

totally agree while also accepting that there is genuine tactical play involved for those in the know, in the first 10+ plays it just feels like you're watching something not interacting, a steep learning curve not worth ascending imo

TheMobRules wrote on 2022-04-22, 02:44:

Also, MMORPGs. The amount of grinding is unfathomable, and one of the things I value the most about games in general, which is inmersion, is almost non-existant.

good points - they waste time and do not let you escape into imagination nor can you escape doing 'work'

Reply 49 of 146, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2022-04-22, 08:03:

GTA4 - it is impressive looking, i like the setting - but it's let down by ridiculous spec demands on a PC, unforgivably sloppy driving implementation and awkward contradiction between protagonists sympathetic 'realistic / gritty' story and the fact that he's a murderer (and inevitably, given the awful driving mechanics, a hit and run criminal too!)

I don't remember having any issues with driving, but what drove me to near lunacy were the incredibly needy "friends" who kept calling you constantly for some stupid activity that were fun for the first three times. After ten times they absolutely were not fun anymore. I still liked the game just enough to finish it while I started to actively hate GTA V within the first hour, why is it one of the best selling games ever is beyond me. Maybe I just grew out of them. Vice City is still great though.

Reply 50 of 146, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dunno if this is the right place. But according to R/CommandandConquer, i am an absolute monster for preferring Red Alert 3 over any of the other RA entries. 🤣

139 hours on Steam, not including the mass accumulative of time i have spent with it on Origin/Disc prior. YES i have bought it multiple times. Don't ask why

Reply 51 of 146, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-22, 07:59:

Was there as many WW1 games?

No, that's a niche interest. I did play Flying Corps a lot in those days though.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 52 of 146, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2022-04-23, 02:10:

No, that's a niche interest. I did play Flying Corps a lot in those days though.

Same was the case for other wars as well. For some reason WW2 caught so much popularity and they kept on going. And probably Battlefield 1 has WW1, but it wasn't as long as typical story games.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 53 of 146, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2022-04-22, 08:03:

GTA 4 was one of the first games I played, even before SA. I didn't have permanent internet then, and I was blow away when I saw the graphics, physics. Life was so better when you don't see much. Then came SA and other games, and I saw there's a larger gaming world as well.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 54 of 146, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No because WW1 was mostly trench warfare and bayonet charges, and sometimes getting blasted by artillery or burning from the inside due to mustard gas. The actual war does not lend well to making a game of it.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 55 of 146, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FioGermi wrote on 2022-04-23, 01:33:

Dunno if this is the right place. But according to R/CommandandConquer, i am an absolute monster for preferring Red Alert 3 over any of the other RA entries. 🤣

139 hours on Steam, not including the mass accumulative of time i have spent with it on Origin/Disc prior. YES i have bought it multiple times. Don't ask why

I see nothing strange about buying multiple copies of the same game. I've done it multiple times 😋
Some games I even have 5 copies or more of, if only because I needed them for a LAN and to have some spare disks and codes.

I wouldn't say 139 hours is a lot though. I have over 2k hours in Creation Kit alone 😜 though admittedly this does include afk time (like having my PC just keep running overnight so I didn't need to load up the project every day).

Report spammers here!

Reply 56 of 146, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-22, 05:22:

Oh, well, WW2 was actually a thing before SPR and no one here in Europe needs a movie to be reminded of it.

Like i've said before, It's this particular movie's success that pretty much set the videogame market into D-dayMania for longer than the actual war. It's at least very true for the US, until the War in Afghanistan\Iraq happened to take over most of this saturation later (in which Battlefield 2 was set from in more fictionalized form IIRC).

Last edited by leileilol on 2022-04-23, 15:20. Edited 3 times in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 57 of 146, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-04-23, 15:04:
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-22, 05:22:

Like i've said before, It's this particular movie's success that pretty much set the videogame market into D-dayMania for longer than the actual war. It's at least very true for the US, until the War in Afghanistan\Iraq happened to take over most of this saturation later (in which Battlefield 2 was set from).

I don't doubt it, I merely find it a bit sad. 😁

I like jumpers.

Reply 58 of 146, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2022-04-22, 01:26:

Oh yes waiting for planes to spawn was a PITA.

You could do cool stuff in BF1942 like indirect artillery fire. One player could spot for the gun allowing it to hit targets that the gunner couldn't see.

If BF1942 has similar spawn mechanics to BF2 and BF2142 (and I assume it does) and if you like playing against bots, you can increase the max spawn number and decrease the wait time and go nuts with epic dogfights and tank battles (even though pathfinding may make it a bit less immersive because the bots will basically go in something of a straight line).
Or add spawn points and just have all available vehicles in a single map 😋

Report spammers here!

Reply 59 of 146, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not many. Only 2 games that I can think of from top of my head are BF1 and some really old game about the red baron or something.
And like someone mentioned before, WW1 seemed somewhat more stale compared to WW2. Only thing I could think of WW1 that I found interesting during my childhood was the naval arms race (mostly centered around the Royal Navy and the German Imperial Navy).

Report spammers here!