VOGONS

First post, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks

I've got a little Toshiba Libretto 60CT here with a Yamaha OPL3-SAx built in sound chip.
It seems to run DOS games well, but the issue is within digital sound... I can hear MIDI music no problem, but the actual sound effects for Wolfenstein & Doom 2 are silent... Is there some sort of special config I need to do to get it to work?
I'm not too well versed in this kind of stuff so I apologize for any ignorance/left out details.

Reply 1 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Being DOS based games, you need to know what the DMA & IRQ settings of your sound device is.
You will then have to enter the game setup menu, select the correct sound device (Sound Blaster Pro), the correct DMA or IRQ settings and save the settings.
Some setup programs can auto detect the above-mentioned settings for you.
You can also search for the Autoexec.bat file on your laptop's root folder and ensure that there is a Set Blaster environment variable listed.

Reply 2 of 13, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Imho all you need is one line in autoexec.bat...

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

...and adequate settings in BIOS, see attachement 😀 It's from Libretto 50CT, but I quess 60CT is pretty much the same.

Attachments

• IMG_20220428_094816.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20220428_094816.jpg
    File size
    201.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 3 of 13, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sledge wrote on 2022-04-28, 07:52:

Imho all you need is one line in autoexec.bat...

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

...and adequate settings in BIOS, see attachement 😀 It's from Libretto 50CT, but I quess 60CT is pretty much the same.

Thanks for the advice! I checked my BIOS and the only difference was SBPro DMA channel, I changed it to be the same setting as yours, added the SET BLASTER line to my autoexec.bat, but no go, still no sound 🙁
I even tried manually adding the variable to my DOS ENV to no avail.

Reply 5 of 13, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unisound won't help, I tried it on my 50CT, no PnP card detected...

I've found some OPL3-SA drivers on the harddrive of my Libretto, I don't recall if I've ever used them, maybe they'll help 😀 See archive in the attachement. There are also some other utilities - TDIAGS for diagnostics, TSETUP for BIOS setup and TLCD for LCD brightness settings. All for 50CT, but I guess there is no harm in trying them on 60CT 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    50CT.ZIP
    File size
    145.97 KiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 6 of 13, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SETYMF might be of use here too. You are definitely needing to run a separate initialisation program to set up the mixer, by default most sources are muted.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 13, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all, I did try UNISOUND to no avail, figured I was just not using it properly but I guess it doesn't work for my Libretto anyway.

As for those utils, they do work 😀 the Libretto 60 is just a 50CT with a faster 100mhz Pentium released for JP market only. So far everything 50CT related has applied to this model 😁
I will try those drivers and report back.

I'm also going to look into this SETYMF, I assume it's either an ENV VAR or an application to load into autoexec.bat?

Reply 8 of 13, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SETYMF is replacement to Yamaha's SETUPSA util that I made a while back for my own YMF71x based sound card, but it will work with most/any random YMF71x implementation and may prove useful here even if others fail. You can get it from a link in my signature.

BLASTER variable doesn't mean anything on its own, it only tells software what settings the card is configured to, but doesn't actually do any of the configuration, for that you need some initialisation util. Unisound doesn't seem to work, it doesn't seem you have tried SETUPSA ?

Reply 9 of 13, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2022-05-02, 23:43:

SETYMF is replacement to Yamaha's SETUPSA util that I made a while back for my own YMF71x based sound card, but it will work with most/any random YMF71x implementation and may prove useful here even if others fail. You can get it from a link in my signature.

I tried out your SETYMF application but it doesn't like the chip on the Libretto... I had to use the /forcepnp (if I recall correctly) switch and even that only got me so far. None of the sound tests worked, producing no sound or errors.

Tiido wrote on 2022-05-02, 23:43:

BLASTER variable doesn't mean anything on its own, it only tells software what settings the card is configured to, but doesn't actually do any of the configuration, for that you need some initialisation util. Unisound doesn't seem to work, it doesn't seem you have tried SETUPSA ?

I'm going to try SETUPSA as it was included in that ZIP file posted above...

Reply 10 of 13, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanted to give an update so far...

My system does NOT have a CMOS battery (had to remove due to leakage) and I was noticing that my SBPro DMA setting was constantly reverting back to Channel 0 despite changing it to "Same as WSS". Even when I would leave the laptop plugged into AC, change the setting and reboot (no F1 error), still reverts...

Well now miraculously it seems to be defaulting to "Same as WSS", even when I remove the system battery for battery swap (I have multiple batteries for the laptop).

I tried running setupsa.exe and i got to see that all the sound levels checked out in the program (nothing of relevance was muted), so I exited and to my amazement, Doom2 produced sound!!

I will do some more testing, but I think it was that pesky BIOS setting constantly reverting even after I would change it.

Reply 11 of 13, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WSS and SB Pro settings should not conflict. I used to have a similar Toshiba and I remember having to go through every permutation of those settings before finally finding one that worked. Make sure your BLASTER environment variable always matches what you selected in the BIOS.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 12 of 13, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This makes me think the laptop has OPL3-SA in it, aka YMF701, which is not PnP and is not compatible with YMF711/5/8/9 that SETYMF can deal with, which is why it wasn't working.
SETUPSA supports YMF701 and will update BLASTER variable in AUTOEXEC.BAT too. Any BIOS settings should be overridden and essentially not matter.

Reply 13 of 13, by Iris4g

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the the final way to get it to work is to run SETUPSA, exit out of it, and THEN I can hear sounds in Doom2. Sadly if I want to boot into Windows again, this causes a resource conflict and thus I need to do a full reboot to get sound under Windows again.