VOGONS

First post, by T4600C

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently gotten the idea to try and play older but still active Massive Multiplayer Online games on Windows 95/98/XP machines.

I just think the idea of being able to play on an active online world on period correct hardware would be really novel and may give me a sense of what players felt playing those games on CRTs.

I'm not talking MUDs, but 2D/3D games online games that came out around the 1995s to 2005s.
MMOs that came out around that timeframe often had clients still supporting Win98 and even 95 if they came out early enough.

A surprising amount of games from that area are still online, some even appear pretty active with a decent amount of players.
Often there are Windows 7 and windows 10 clients available and a few games also provide "Classic" clients that work on the hardware and operating systems from around release.

I'm thinking of making a list of older MMOs with working clients that still function on Windows x9 and XP.
I would appreciate help in expanding this list! When I got the time I will be adding entries.

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Phantasy Star Online (2001) and Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst (2005) should work, though the third-party launchers made for them might need a KernelEx'ing. Private servers of course

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ptr1ck wrote on 2022-06-01, 23:36:
gdjacobs wrote on 2022-05-29, 23:30:

Ultima Online.

I lost too many hours of my life to this over 20 years ago. I wonder if it's worth playing now.

Lots of community run servers now, so I would guess some are fun and others are not. UO was never my thing, so I can't really judge. Maybe worth a look, though, if you were really into it back in the day.

DAoC is still around as well. I knew a guy who was a massive fan, so maybe give it a sniff?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 7, by ptr1ck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2022-06-03, 05:09:

Ultima Online.

I lost too many hours of my life to this over 20 years ago. I wonder if it's worth playing now.

Lots of community run servers now, so I would guess some are fun and others are not. UO was never my thing, so I can't really judge. Maybe worth a look, though, if you were really into it back in the day.

DAoC is still around as well. I knew a guy who was a massive fan, so maybe give it a sniff?

Indeed. UOalive looks like an interesting option. It has consensual PvP, which is what I prefer. I could also run it on my XP box. It uses the modern clients which supposedly require windows 98 and directx 9.

"ITXBOX" SFF-Win11
KT133A-NV28-V2 SLI-DOS/WinME

Reply 7 of 7, by T4600C

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ultima Online.

I bought it and tried to login but i get error 248 on my Windows XP machine. I saw they dropped XP support in 2021 so that may be over unfortunately.

Lord Of The Rings Online also said they dropped support for XP in 2021 but there still seems to be a Legacy Client option, it is downloading files right now.