VOGONS

First post, by Saidian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm pretty much decided on using either 98 or ME for the main OS in my first retro build (Pentium iii 1000EB, 512mb PC133, Geforce 4 Ti4200) but I'd like to experiment a little with XP as a potential dual boot option.

I've read up a about using nLite to edit the XP install and I'm confident what options I want to try first but I'm not sure how to go about Slipstreaming the Unofficial Service Pack 4.
I downloaded the service Pack from Archive.org and I have no idea what install file I should focus on (so many files, docs and videos I'm kinda lost oof). I think because of my CPU I need to use different from the norm?

Had great support from this community recently so cheers for any insight you can give me on this one 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by TehGuy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Open up nLite, select your windows XP iso that's been extracted to a folder, hit next, get to the part where it asks what you're wanting to do and at least tick "Service Pack" and the option near the bottom to make a bootable ISO. Next screen it should ask what you want to add and you just need to give it the main EXE file.

Worth noting that you will run right over the size limit for a CD-RW so you'll either have to find another way to install XP or just install the service pack after the fact.

Win98+DOS: C3 Ezra-T 1.0AGHz / P3-S 1.26GHz, 128MB RAM, AWE64 + Orpheus + Audigy 2 ZS, Ti 4200, 128GB SD card
Win XP SP3: C2Q 9650, 4GB RAM, X-Fi Titanium, GTX 750
PowerMac G4 QS 800MHz + GeForce4 Ti4200, OS 9
PowerMac G5 DP 1.8Ghz + ATi x800 XT, Leopard

Reply 3 of 4, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like to keep this pretty simple personally -

In nLite, and starting with a Windows XP SP3 ISO, I integrate this update pack:
https://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/17130-rep … cks-final-v110/

If your target is a processor WITH SSE2, you can also integrate the POSReady 2009 updates:
https://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/17131-rep … rue-addon-v102/

Unofficial SP4 is like many of the other unofficial service packs folks have created - it goes above and beyond for sure, but perhaps too far (imo).