VOGONS

First post, by teh_Foxx0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm getting this annoying crash while playing Unreal, retail version from disc, from the original big box release (not a budget reissue or such). This is happening on both my Windows 98/Pentium III systems. One is a Tualatin with a Geforce FX 5700 on the last available drivers and an Audigy 2 ZS, the other is a Slot 1 system with a Voodoo 3 and an Aureal Vortex 2, so quite different hardware and I can only presume it's not related to video/audio drivers, or bad RAM. They are both VIA chipsets though, in case that's at all relevant.

I did some searches but results I could find only talked about disabling DEP, but that's only in Windows XP and later. Anyone have any idea what I can do?
I don't have any patches installed, but none of my search results led to them, and I wouldn't imagine these should be necessary to get at least a basic experience.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The initial May 1998 release has had some CPU-related crashes that were rectified in the immediate patches after (mainly Cyrix users at the time)

Also, Unreal versions prior to v222 are known to crash on Voodoo3.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I get the same crash with period-correct hardware e.g. a Pentium MMX 166 + Voodoo1.

As others have mentioned, the retail release of Unreal is pretty unstable. You can find a bunch of different patch versions here. I use 226f which is the last official one.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 8, by teh_Foxx0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah yes, this seems to have fixed it. I should have tried it first of course, but I'd not had a lot of time for trial and error testing these past few days. But at least it could be here for others in a similar situation to find. Thanks!

Reply 5 of 8, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-06-18, 07:31:

You can find a bunch of different patch versions here. I use 226f which is the last official one.

226f is really not recommended, even Unreal Gold is sketchy at best. 225f should be the patch to use on vintage systems running Voodoo cards.

226f will throw a bogus assertion failed when trying to join most servers now, especially ones running "227". It will also exhibit strange problems in servers no matter if the server is running 224 or 225. (inexplicable replication failures, duplicated bogus actor channels when reconnecting to the server, etc)

The GalaxyDrv.dll in both "flavours" of 226 also introduces changes I don't find ideal, which is another reason I have been sticking with 225f.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 6 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote on 2022-06-20, 10:20:

The GalaxyDrv.dll in both "flavours" of 226 also introduces changes I don't find ideal, which is another reason I have been sticking with 225f.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this.

Do the changes to the sound system adversely affect A3D support or something to that effect?

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 8, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the 3D sound stuff in 226f is more for EAX users than A3D users. But one of the more annoying changes I noticed is how the doppler effect is handled.

You have to go back even older to get back the reverb that you're supposed to be hearing as set in the original maps back when the game first shipped, but I don't remember how older...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 8 of 8, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have both an A3D and a Creative card installed, make sure that the A3D.DLL hasn't been overwritten by Creative, otherwise a lot of effects will be broken. Creative's implementation has issues, and I wouldn't recommend it.